Bye week or improvement week?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by beerlover, Oct 21, 2010.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Getting ready for the Thursday Night College Game of the Week, Oregon vs. UCLA & caught this phrase, found it different & intersting take, enough that it begs the question as it applies to Texans/Kubiak & "BYE" week as opportunity for Improvement before facing Indy. Is it all about mind-set & how to handle pressure as well media/teams expectations?

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2010/10...healing-up-duck-superlatives-other-ucla-notes

Chip Kelly is the reason Oregon is as good as it's become, his approach is novel & fresh. Doubt this will ever happen with Kubiak but I'm hopeing he is both watching & learning from other great coaches how to change a BYE week into Improvement week.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. beerlover

I saw the score (60-13) but as of yet not had the chance to watch the Oregon vs. UCLA game but did Oregon seem well prepared? Are they really that good, special players here & there sure but don't they seem to fit together like a well tuned machine?

Here is another Coach this one in the NFL I consider elite, thats mostly hated Bill Belichick. They traded Randy Moss before their "BYE" week then picked up Deion Branch & still beat the favored Baltimore Ravens. Since 2002 the Patriots are 8-2 after their "BYE" (improvement week) while the Texans are 2-8. Unless the Texans play the Jaquars they have not beaten an AFC South opponnent coming off a "BYE" week. (0-3 vs. Tennessee).

Not trying to be negative, its just been a troubling trend I hope can be addressed through coaching, preperation & improvment in areas of weakness.

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

I dont have the facts to back this up but I dont really recall the Texans wining big after a bye week. In fact they seem to lose alot of those after bye week games.

Edit: Kubiak Era.

2010: Week 8: In Indianapolis, vs. the Colts. N/A

2009: Week 11: We lost at home to the Titans, 20-17.

2008: Week 3: We lost in Nashville to the Titans, 31-12.

2007: Week 11: We won at home vs. the Saints, 23-10.

2006: Week 6: We lost in Dallas to the Cowboys, 34-6.

4. beerlover

2007 WEEK 11 Texans 23 Saints 10
    2004 WEEK 08 Texans 20 Jaguars 6

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

I specified Kubiak era. How Capers did after the bye week doesnt really apply.

6. beerlover

Include Capers/Casserly record coming off a "BYE WEEK" Texans are now 2-9. Kubiak era only 1-5 :thinking: