Butler and Williiams (Harry) = Brightest spots so far?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Errant Hothy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/steve_slaton_ha.html

I'm glad for Butler. I was really happy when we signed him last year, and after a year to get healthy and the coaching of Gibbs it seems if he has really come into his own here.

As we have all figured out by now, Jacoby is now in a fight for his roster spot.

2. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Butler is making me think we need to try him out at OG. He's playing like one of our 5 best OL but he wont beat out Brown or Winston. Wouldn't hurt in game 4 of the preseason to see if his play drops off when he changes position. If for nothing more than to see how versatile he really is :)

3. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

Butler was a huge pickup and I'm glad the texans medical staff was able to do what the panthers couldn't! :doot:

4. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

By saying Williams may force him to keep 6 WRs, Kubiak has tipped his hand about JJ by saying in effect no matter how bad he continues to screw-up this preseason he's made the team.
    On Butler, this makes Efram totally expendable because like him, Butler can play both RT & LT making him the all-important swing player for those positions that the Texans need to suit-up for game-day in the event one of the OT starters is injured in the game.

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

First, Kubiak said "someone is in trouble if we only keep 5", which indicates there is a debate about whether to hang on to JJ- nobody else is going anywhere.

Second, with the amount of abuse I've taken on these boards I have to show a lack of class regarding Butler-Salaam... I TOLD YOU SO!

6. Polo

Polo Guest

With the way your taking this statement it would imply that Harry Williams is currently ahead of JJ for the 5th WR spot.

I don't think that's the case. He wouldn't be talking about Harry Williams making a strong case to keep six...Instead he'd be talking about how JJ needs to step up to convince him to keep six...

That someone who is in trouble would be Harry Williams if we only carried 5. I think we'll keep 6 though.

7. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Based on his 3rd round pick status, and the fact that everyone considered him to be a project WR with a big upside, I think we keep JJ

8. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Those are my thoughts as well. We knew when we selected him he was completely raw, and for a WR to make the transition into the nfl, I would give them 2-3 years. Now, that's not to say that the Texans aren't allowed to say we'd rather move on without him and have better options. I just think we need to give Jacoby another year to learn.

His problem has been hanging on to the ball. I was a big fan when we selected him, but the way he runs with the ball is a huge concern for me. He swings his arms out widely instead of keeping to ball close in. As a WR, he's got the talent to be on this team- he gets open, has great size, can leap and catch the ball. As far as a PR... maybe Anderson starts getting more touches. I will say if they keep Jacoby back there fielding punts all preseason, it means they havn't given up on him back there and are working on getting those kinds worked out.

Butler has been an awesome suprise, and I have noticed Harry on a lot of ST tackles. I really like a lot of these players we've got.

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

What a crock!

While there has been minor dispute about Butler, the vast majority of the abuse you've been given has been related to the Salaam being waived prediction. I challenge you to dig up one of your posts from the last few weeks where the prediction of Butler making the roster isn't also accompanied by the prediction of Salaam not making it. You're "I TOLD YOU SO" is at best premature, and at worst completely inaccurate!

10. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

I don't think that Jones is in trouble because of his WR play (of course, I'm guessing here since I'm not privy to what's going on in practice). Yes, he is not polished, but the idea was to let him learn while contributing on special teams. Basically, he's an apprentice--they guy who cleans the trash cans while learning the ropes from everyone else. And, by cleaning trash cans, I mean returning punts.

Problem is that he's not holding up his end of the bargain. Two punt-return fumbles in two games as a result of breaking two of the three cardinal rules of punt returns: 1. Before you do anything else, catch and secure the football. 2. Once #1 is accomplished, go straight up the field. Then, he managed to break the third cardinal rule: field every catchable punt that is going to land anywhere beyond your own 8-yard-line. Because Jacoby was too scared or clueless to field the Saints' last punt, Alex Brink's professional debut came on his own 3. And that's giving him a pass for the botched exchange with Brink.

Our team is still a work-in-progress, but we don't have the luxury of letting guys take multiple years to learn their positions. I'm fine with letting Jones evolve at WR if he is contributing as he's capable (and he's clearly capable) on special teams. However, it's not like he's a once-in-a-blue-moon physical talent--if he's not helping us where he needs to, let's get someone who can.

We've had such a good run of draft picks starting in 2006 that I won't lose any sleep (or, more pertinently, respect for Rick Smith) if we have to cut our second pick of the 2007 draft. That said, I hope this is a wake-up call for Jacoby. The kid's got upside, but not the kind of upside that's worth wasting an unearned roster spot on.

11. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

Even without Weary, I'm OK with our guards. I'm not OK with being thin at OT. The next season the Texans begin with solid depth at OT will be their first. If Butler is good enough to be a competent backup OT, leave him there! He may make more money in his career as a solid backup OT than he would if he was a decent starting guard.

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, certainly it's premature. However, I've been consistant in saying that I think Butler passes Salaam as the swing tackle (certainly he has) and that the youth, potential, and versatility of Frye will mean that Salaam won't make the team if we only keep 9 linemen. With the Weary injury that becomes a lock. At guard, we will need someone after Pitts, Briesel, and Studdard... that person will almost definitely be Frye, who has proven able to play RT as well. So, unless you think the team considers Winston or Brown as an option to move inside if injuries strike and place Salaam at tackle... Salaam is the odd man out with a 9 man OL.

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I'm just quoting Kubiak. He said Williams is going to make them keep 6 WRs if his play continues or "somebody is in trouble"... That somebody sure isn't AJ, AD, KW, or DA.

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I doubt that Efram goes anywhere. He is a "proven" entity if not only as a backup. Anything can happen, but I don't see him being "expended." [how do you like that as a word??:tinfoil:]

15. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

show me a 9 man OL that includes Salaam. I don't see how it can happen without a serious injury to Winston, Brown, or Butler.

I think the OL has to be:

Winston
    Brown
    Butler

Myers
    White

Frye (tackle and guard)
    Briesel
    Studdard
    Pitts

where am I wrong?

16. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

You said even if we kept 10, you didn't see Salaam making the team. The majority response simply said Salaam would be on the 53 man roster, and didn't reference how many OLinemen would be kept.

17. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

admittedly, he did tell me so. i remember it specifically.

18. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

It seems that Kubiak wants to groom Butler for the swing tackle position.

But I'm not ready to declare that Butler has been one of the brightest spots so far. His play at LT is still questionable, but he does look good at RT.
    Again, we have to take into account the fact that he did not run with the first team.

Chris White should stay at Guard, IMO.

We are still very thin at the backup C position.
    I'm still waiting for somebody to emerge.

19. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. Butler has played almost exclusively at LT this preseason, with the exception of the 2nd quarter of game one. And, he's been excellent

Who are you waiting for to emerge at Center- White is our backup and the only other guy is Eslinger- and he STINKS!

20. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Not true. I didn't want Salaam to make the team even if we kept 10. I was hoping that Weary would be the 10th. However, I always thought it possible that Salaam could make the team as a 10th player- though I doubt it will happen.

First, it's unlikely that we carry 10 given the depth at positions like WR, CB, S, RB... Second, Salaam wouldn't even be on the active roster barring a significant injury problem on the OL, so Salaam would likely request being waived- which I'm sure Kubiak would grant.... I sure would!