Bush Update from Lenny Pasquarelli

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Señor Stan, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

2. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

This is the part I don't like.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Interesting article and very glad the Texans are doing there due diligence. We have the leverage and I commend the FO and McNair for the work they have done to date.

4. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

Agreed, Kaiser. Bush is a phenom, but he better get use to this kind of stuff. Your crap actually stinks in the NFL.

5. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

To quote Dr. Evil: "..........*****."

6. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I agree. Business is business, and they are trying to negotiate millions of dollars, what are they supposed to do offer up McNair's house as a signing bonus. If I was Bush's family, I would be more grateful they have a kid with such unbelievable talent, if the article is accurate that is.

7. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

Wow, I love the position we are in. Got the top 2 college players in the palm of our hands.

Who to pick, Mario "The Beast" Williams or Reggie "The Jet" Bush? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

8. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

Bush better not get too cute with his contract demands. what do you think the financial drop off would be if the Texans take Williams, and Bush slips to 2, 3, 4??? The cost for RB's starts going down really fast........

9. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

Paint me in the minority on this one, but it seems like Bush has been their number one all along. It's one thing to tell the press you are choosing between two players, but you should really focus on negotiations with your top choice instead of playing both halves out of the middle. That can end up blowing up in your face.

10. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Although I agree with your logic most of the time in this type of situation, I would disagree in this instance as Mr. McNair has been consistent with this in 2002 and in 2006 in that he deems it extremely important to have a deal done before the draft. He even said it again this morning on ESPN. He has the #1 and he has set expectations to the potential parties. Whether it is smoke and mirrors or not no one can claim he is not consistent and in the court of public/private opinion consistency normally wins out.

11. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

:rolleyes:
    I agree with this to a point. It seems as if that's who you want you are wasting valuble time trying to make sure MW's contract talks keep pace. I'd give him minimal time at best.

With only 3 being signed though before the draft I'm not really feeling like this will make a difference one way or the other. They will still pick bush.

I'm actually in bush's corner. The Texans FO have made this hype machine by jumping on his jockstrap so early. At this point why should he NOT make more than A. Smith did last year???? I mean he can WALK on water according to our front office.

12. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I don't think much of our front office is going to bed until Monday.

13. HeroTime

HeroTime Rookie

To bad Mario is said to want the same pay as Reggie is. If both players are said to be equal then moneywise the smart thing to do is pick Mario. DE make more than RB on average.

I for one am not convinced that Mario is even higher rated than D'brick.

14. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I heard someone say that both Mario AND Reggie are wanting more than Alex Smith. No way I shell that out for Mario If I am in control. But I'm not, so I will have to wait and see.

15. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

The problem is Mario's people haven't responded to our original offer, according to Mclain.

16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I didn't like that part either. Maybe it is Charlie saying it they don't like:) We need to play hardball but it gave them a little more resolve. Typical of these things.

17. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

itll be tomorrow evening if we have a deal done...

you know WE have other picks we have to prepare for...

I dont think we wanna waste a whole day answering questions about why they are drafting who they are drafting when they can do that sat and sun night.

18. barzilla

barzilla Veteran

What they don't realize is that they may be pissing off the Williams camp at the same time. I was watching the NFL Network and a reporter asked Williams what he thought of the fact that "a deal with Bush was imminent". If this turns out not to be true we look like asses and his people will hold our feet to the fire.

I say you privately make your pick and when you think you won't get an offer for the pick you want you start negotiations with your choice. If you keep going over the next day you will at least make progress.

19. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

niether side can be happy about this period.. But this is a business, people dont understand 50 million dollars in a player who hasnt even suited up for the team is a lot of money to bet the farm on 1 guy.. I like the fact we are keeping things open... we are not handcuffed at all..

20. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

At least DE's are a higher paid commodity in general than RB's. THat makes it a more realistic demand. IF that is the case and not just heresay