Bush to petition to wear #5 professionally

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dirty steve, Apr 11, 2006.

1. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

mods, move if this has already been posted.

Updated: April 11, 2006, 3:06 PM ET
    Bush will appeal to wear No. 5 in NFL
    ESPN.com

How much trouble is a number worth?

Reggie Bush, projected as the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft, thinks it's at least worth petitioning the league.

"I want to see if I can keep No. 5," Bush told ESPN The Magazine on the set of a Subway commercial he was shooting in Los Angeles.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2405152

2. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

What?

Anyways it will probably be denied but I guess its good to try.

3. Oilers/Texans

Oilers/Texans Veteran

It really dosen't matter one way or the other, but I hope the league does not allow it. I also wish they would make all receivers go back to an 80's number.

4. Bullpen Drew

Bullpen Drew All Pro

Chuck Norris can bench 225...WITH NO HANDS!

5. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

I saw somewhere (I think on ESPN) that the teens were opened up to receivers because the NFL was running out of numbers in the eighties due to number retiring.

However, Bush needs to come in as a rookie and wear the number he is given. Not come into the league as some primadonna asking to change the rules of the NFL so that he can stand out with his #5.

6. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

i think i've just about had my fill of chuck norris jokes. Hulk, i can't decipher that sentence.

AND

If i were in charge of giving out numbers in the NFL, i'd let bush keep 5. He's sampson, 5 is his hair.

7. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

If he was that concerned about keeping the same number, he should have started wearing a running backs number in Pop Warner, or High School, or College.

I hope his request is denied.

8. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I am with you Horns, stick with what every other RB in the league gets. He isn't special..... yet.

Otherwise we could draft/list him as a kicker, punter or QB..... JK

9. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Why the hell not? I know it means something to him, and it gives credibility to all our "What number will Reggie wear?" threads.

10. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Just give him No.5.:texflag: :fans: Where do I need to sign?

11. Hookem Horns

The NFL has number rules for a reason. One reason for the rule is it helps the refs better identify player positions during plays which move at high speed. For example, if they see a number 60 something downfield they quickly know an offensive lineman is illegally downfield.

If they give in to Bush who else is going to be asking for an exception? Next thing you know, some primadonna QB will come out and want to wear number 99 just to be trendy. With the mentality of the modern "me" player, this would get way out of hand.

12. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

i did some thinking, if not five, he should take 25.

end topic now.

13. Hookem Horns

Did we cut Hollings yet?

14. The Myth

The Myth Rookie

Asking doesn't make him a primadonna. If he throws a fit if they say no will make him a primadonna. I really don't care anymore. It's stupid that they strayed from the old staples anyway so now they are going to be asked by others if they can do it like the WR's. Doesn't hurt to ask. :twocents:

15. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

He's not on the official roster.

16. HOOK'EM

HOOK'EM Veteran

..........can he just wear #5 and pay a fine like K. Johnson did for many years before the league made those numbers availible for receivers agian.:twocents:

17. Hookem Horns

Another excellent 2nd round pick by C***erly.

18. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

He was cut the same time as Banks and Coleman

19. HOOK'EM

HOOK'EM Veteran

#5 Bush, I love it!

DO IT BUSH, Pay the fine!:redtowel:

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I just don't care about what number he wears. If he would like to keep his #5 I see no harm in letting him ask for it. I don't think his chance of getting it should be any better than the fullback who gets selected in the 6th round because he projects to be a great special teams guy but I think there's nothing wrong with asking.

A lot of what's wrong with the NFL today can be traced back to one of two things. Lack of respect for the league or lack of understanding of the players. NFL players fail to respect the history, traditions, and rules of the NFL all the time. Many of them swagger into the league thinking they're entitled to just about anything they want. On the other hand the NFL itself seems dead set on stomping out any hint of individuality they find. They make draconian rules and then tweak them every few years when they think some player somewhere might have found a way to have some fun in spite of the rule.

The best part of the NFL lies somewhere in between those two problems. You couldn't make it up or invent it intentionally if you tried and if you could bottle it you'd be, well an NFL owner and rich beyond your wildest dreams. NFL owners are the 32 luckiest people alive and they should thank the fates every single day of their lives that NFL football is what it is.

At some point in the future if they are not careful either the players or the league will push too hard and break it. I dread that day.

Let him ask for #5 but he should ask humbly. The NFL can say "yes" if they want to without fearing that anarchy will break out in their sport but it should be clearly their decision. If they say no then that should be the end of it. They should say all the right things but point out that this is a long standing rule.