Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bush Thursday/Young Friday Visits

LOS ANGELES -- The wooing of Reggie Bush by the Houston Texans, already an ardent courtship by the franchise which owns the top overall selection in the draft, will progress to the next level later this week. ESPN.com has learned that the Southern California tailback and Heisman Trophy winner will meet with Texans officials, including owner Bob McNair, in Houston on Thursday. As part of a full day of activities, Bush's agent, Joel Segal, will huddle with Dan Ferens, who handles the Texans' contract negotiations.
Because they hold the top pick in the April 29 draft, the Texans may commence contract negotiations at any point and may, in fact, speak with more than one player. It is not known if the Texans will initiate talks with Segal on Thursday, but it will not be surprising if the two sides use the meeting to get some sort of feel for each other's financial expectations.
Sources confirmed the Texans will meet Friday with quarterback Vince Young. Unlike Bush, the University of Texas star will perform on-field drills for the Texans staff.
The Texans, who aren't likely to trade the first pick, prefer to have the No. 1 choice under contract, or at least with a contract agreement, before the draft begins.
Bush will not do any on-field drills on Thursday. Instead, the day will be more of a get-acquainted visit, in which Bush will meet with coaches and team officials. That process has already begun, as Bush dined on Saturday night with Texans officials at a Beverly Hills steak house.

I do hope they discuss contract parameters. So we'll see what type of cap hit this pick will take.

Looks like Reggie might be leaving with a contract in hand or at least the start of a negotiation.

Why else would we be bringing him in but not to do any drills?

tulexan said:
Looks like Reggie might be leaving with a contract in hand or at least the start of a negotiation.

Why else would we be bringing him in but not to do any drills?

I was hoping they would have him do drills. I'm not exactly sure why they aren't.

They have probably seen enough. I was kind of hoping that he would do some drills with Carr.

I'd like to think that we've made up our mind and go with Bush #1 and get him to agree to a contract, but bringing in Young still worries me. Seems like more of a courtesy/appeasement to all the Texas fans though. I hope so.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of article quotes with no links provided.

Please - everyone - link your quotes.

tiger06 said:
I'd like to think that we've made up our mind and go with Bush #1 and get him to agree to a contract, but bringing in Young still worries me. Seems like more of a courtesy/appeasement to all the Texas fans though. I hope so.

That is exactly what it is... the coaches can never say that they didnt "try" to look into VYs potential. With this drill, they will nod and smile. But the negotations will have taken place a day before, when Reggie was there playing Madden 06 with Coachiak.

Bringing him in just to meet with McNair and the coaching staff is a pretty telling sign of what is going on. You would think that if they still were undecided on what to do, they would have both Reggie and Vince work out. Like I said earlier, I think that they have seen enough to make their decision. Kubiak has said that he has watched every single game that Reggie has played in multiple times, they had dinner with him last night, and they watched him put on a show today. To me this sounds like they have done all of the football related work on Reggie and that they are bringing him in to meet with McNair (after all it is his money). They almost have to bring Vince in. Just so they can say that they did all of their homework and put him through all of the tests. It would look really bad in the eyes of the Longhorn faithful if they simply ignored him and didn't give him a chance.

It is entirely possible that the Texans are bringing in Vince to scout him out in the very real possible case that the Titans draft him. They would then have to compete against him twice a year for a long time. What better way of getting to know the competition?

MLB said:
It is entirely possible that the Texans are bringing in Vince to scout him out in the very real possible case that the Titans draft him. They would then have to compete against him twice a year for a long time. What better way of getting to know the competition?

So there isn't enough game film on vince young so they can adequately SCOUT him??? geez.

KSig44 said:
Wouldn't they bring in Lienart also since it is possible he can go to Tennessee?

There is no "ligitimate" reason the Texans would have to scout Lienart. And no, game films do not always tell you everything about a person. There is always something to learn.

Basically we are drafting Bush. They have seen enough

We are just bringing in Young with workout drills to make his final case. Young will have to look like a god in these workouts in order for the texans to draft him.

There are some serious questions about Vince Young. For Vince to put on a Proday, showcasing his weaknesses would be silly. Most likely Kubiak wants to see what he'll do in certain situations. See if it'll be worth investing the time and money in him to take him to the next level.

The only question about Bush, can't be answered until he is on the field with 11 guys who want to hurt him....

Right now, I can tell you I'm happier than all get out. I don't care if Houston Drafts Vince or not...... As long as Kubiak gives him a good look over. If he honestly doesn't believe Vince has something David doesn't, I'll be fine with that.

It's not just the Longhorn faithful. You have a large portion of our community that considers themselves Vince Young fans. He's been worshipped and revered here for years. So the decision to pass him up should not be taken lightly from both a football and a PR perspective. This guy turns out to be the next great thing in football and the Texans will get absolutely reemed by fans for passing him up.

Leinart offers nothing new to us. We already have a QB that can fire the ball in there in the rare instances he's given time to do so. So I have no idea why he'd even enter the equasion in comparison with a talent like Bush on the board.

The Dude Abides said:
One would assume since it had espn.com in the article it's from there, but for the exact link...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2394532

It's a policy of this message board to provide a link to quoted material. Quite often if a thread is started & the poster does not provide a link we will scrap the thread. Tulip was just trying to be helpful when requesting that you provide a link. Please try to keep that in mind in the future & provide a link when needed.

Whoever drafts VY will get a football player with tremendous upside, and we
are all gonna be very interested to see where he ends up. One thing almost certain though, he's not going to be a Texan. IMO, bringing him in for a workout is strictly a courtesy, a gesture for the benefit of UT alums and other
Houstonians who are big fans of VY who might feel dissed if proper respect
were not accorded to their hero. That's all fine with me, just don't anybody get their hopes up and think its anything more than what just I've described.

nunusguy said:
Whoever drafts VY will get a football player with tremendous upside, and we
are all gonna be very interested to see where he ends up. One thing almost certain though, he's not going to be a Texan. IMO, bringing him in for a workout is strictly a courtesy, a gesture for the benefit of UT alums and other
Houstonians who are big fans of VY who might feel dissed if proper respect
were not accorded to their hero. That's all fine with me, just don't anybody get their hopes up and think its anything more than what just I've described.

Agreed. I would never say that VY isn't a good player. He will be a major impact, on and off the field, no matter where he ends up. But the fact is that RB is more in our sights. His numbers are outstanding even as a Junior, and we wont be passing him up. Besides.... I don't think McNair and a lot of the Texans supporters are ready to slap Carr in face. Because that is what it would be if they picked up VY. Much of this argument is rooted in an anti-Carr sentiment.

The Dude Abides said:
I was hoping they would have him do drills. I'm not exactly sure why they aren't.

They aren't allowed to have him do any drills with Bush here. NFL teams are only allowed to have a prospect do an actual workout with any physical activity if it is in that player's home town or else the city that their school is in, so we can work out Vince and anyone else from Houston but to work Reggie out they'd have to go out to California (San Diego or L.A.).

Trapped said:
Basically we are drafting Bush. They have seen enough

We are just bringing in Young with workout drills to make his final case. Young will have to look like a god in these workouts in order for the texans to draft him.

I think bringing Vince in for a workout serves two purposes:

1) Appease all the local fans that want the Texans to draft Vince.

2) Get a personal view of his throwing abilities in case we do get a blockbuster trade offer then we will know whether we can/want to target Vince in a potential trade down, I assume they'll be bringing Mario Williams, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and maybe a couple others in as well so they can talk with them in the event that a nice trade offer is made, then they have a better idea o what player they want to go after there.

thunderkyss said:
There are some serious questions about Vince Young. For Vince to put on a Proday, showcasing his weaknesses would be silly. Most likely Kubiak wants to see what he'll do in certain situations. See if it'll be worth investing the time and money in him to take him to the next level.

The only question about Bush, can't be answered until he is on the field with 11 guys who want to hurt him....

Right now, I can tell you I'm happier than all get out. I don't care if Houston Drafts Vince or not...... As long as Kubiak gives him a good look over. If he honestly doesn't believe Vince has something David doesn't, I'll be fine with that.

I agree and I'm glad that a Vince fan is acknowledging that Kubiak may actually be perfectly happy with David as his QB and not want a new guy in here. As long as Kubiak picks whomever he honestly thinks best fits his team (as opposed to giving in to fan pressure, letting Cass or whoever else make a bad decision in there, what have you) then I'm fine with it.

I tell you what, I would be pissed if they are just wasting VY's time and "appeasing the UT Base". If RB is the guy then nut up and say it rather than jerking on everyone's chain. If we had the second or third pick where we needed to be guarded to get our guy that would be one thing. If we are just afraid of making the decision then we have a bunch of pansies in the FO. I for one think that VY could perform well enough to warrant his selection, although that is unlikely. The RB man-love is a bit overboard.

And the VY man love isn't. Only difference is the Bush love is shared across the nation by fans and scouts alike. VY has been centralized in one location.

TJFord said:
I tell you what, I would be pissed if they are just wasting VY's time and "appeasing the UT Base". If RB is the guy then nut up and say it rather than jerking on everyone's chain. If we had the second or third pick where we needed to be guarded to get our guy that would be one thing. If we are just afraid of making the decision then we have a bunch of pansies in the FO. I for one think that VY could perform well enough to warrant his selection, although that is unlikely. The RB man-love is a bit overboard.

The Texans' job is to do what is best for the Texans, not VY. Geez, they can't win--they have guys complaining they aren't making enough show of being interested in Leinart and Young to up the trade value of the #1 pick and then they are wrong also if they don't "nut up" and announce who they are going to pick. It would be funny, but it's not.

Alright, for everyone wondering about why Reggie Bush is not working out: a lot of a quarterback is judged by his throwing and accuracy, a runningback is mainly based on vision and speed. Throwing and accuracy can easily be measured on a practice field. Reggie already ran the 40, and you can really only tell vision in-game. I'm not saying this is the exact reason the Texans aren't having him work out, but I think it's a strong possibility. Also, if you believe most of the media, it's Vince's job to impress the staff enough to pick him, Reggie has already done all he can.

If Vince Young is the only QB that the Texans bring in to interview and take a closer look at then somebody is making a mistake...If you are going to look at Young then youve got to set up a meeting/workout with Lienart, Cutler, Brick, Mario, and Hawk...Especially Lienart and Cutler...it doesnt make sense to only really look at 1 QB...can the Texans ask for a private workout from Lienart and Cutler if its in California or Tenn???

Dunta_23 said:
If Vince Young is the only QB that the Texans bring in to interview and take a closer look at then somebody is making a mistake...If you are going to look at Young then youve got to set up a meeting/workout with Lienart, Cutler, Brick, Mario, and Hawk...Especially Lienart and Cutler...it doesnt make sense to only really look at 1 QB...can the Texans ask for a private workout from Lienart and Cutler if its in California or Tenn???

All the more reason why the Texans' public due diligence on Young is for show.

KSig44 said:
And the VY man love isn't. Only difference is the Bush love is shared across the nation by fans and scouts alike. VY has been centralized in one location.

ahh......... there you go.......... If everybody else is doing it, I guess you're right.

Texans86 said:
Alright, for everyone wondering about why Reggie Bush is not working out: a lot of a quarterback is judged by his throwing and accuracy, a runningback is mainly based on vision and speed. Throwing and accuracy can easily be measured on a practice field. Reggie already ran the 40, and you can really only tell vision in-game. I'm not saying this is the exact reason the Texans aren't having him work out, but I think it's a strong possibility. Also, if you believe most of the media, it's Vince's job to impress the staff enough to pick him, Reggie has already done all he can.

As I posted before on why Bush isn't working out:

MorKnolle said:
They aren't allowed to have him do any drills with Bush here. NFL teams are only allowed to have a prospect do an actual workout with any physical activity if it is in that player's home town or else the city that their school is in, so we can work out Vince and anyone else from Houston but to work Reggie out they'd have to go out to California (San Diego or L.A.).

There is no further mystery to why Reggie isn't working out, he can't do it here, Leinart and Cutler can't do it here, only people that are from Houston can do an actual workout here. They can bring in I think 30 guys for interviews and I've got to believe they are going to bring in some of these other top players as well as some guys they are targeting with the 33rd pick for interviews.

MorKnolle said:
As I posted before on why Bush isn't working out:

There is no further mystery to why Reggie isn't working out, he can't do it here, Leinart and Cutler can't do it here, only people that are from Houston can do an actual workout here. They can bring in I think 30 guys for interviews and I've got to believe they are going to bring in some of these other top players as well as some guys they are targeting with the 33rd pick for interviews.

You know in your heart its a CONSPIRACY. That's the only reason BUSH is not working out. Its crazy isn't it. Nobody gets the rules no matter how many time you repeat them.......

Back