Bush suffers set back with knee

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Goldensilence, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d811adba4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I wonder if they can still use him as a decoy while sitting on the bench.

Wolf likes this.
  3. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Ah, was coming to post this.

Boy, did we ever dodge a bullet with this guy...

4. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Didn't he have micro-fracture surgery on that knee ?

5. jlam

jlam Veteran

Yes, he did have micro-fracture surgery on the knee.

That report was pre-mature and an addendum was released pretty quick that clarified things. He's had some normal swelling in the knee (par for the microfracture course) and the ice and rest from practice was premeditated as he's been sitting one of the 2-a-days all camp as a precautionary measure anyway.

Not saying it's not something to keep and eye on, because it is, but nothing that would be considered a "setback".

6. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

gotta love how this trio of picks continues to prove who the good guys are.

FILO_girl likes this.
  7. RazorOye

RazorOye Ayo

I can always bank on you guys getting the Bush news for me before anyone else does

I am just as concerned as any Saints fan about his durability and health, but as jlam said, it's not a "setback" at this point in time. Except to a crowd of embittered fans of other teams who can't let go of the past. As I've said before - some of you really need to just. let. it. go.

Prior to the day Bush got his knee iced, all reports were that he had a very hard day at practice. He worked hard. He's running between the tackles more - and they're working him more in a conventional manner. He was stout and consistent in his blocking drills. By all accounts, he was one of the hardest workers on the team for the day.

And he had pretty major surgery not all that long ago.

After a day like that and surgery like that - swelling or soreness is not unheard of. Nor is it a setback. And sometimes ice is preventative as well.

Longterm, we have every reason to be cautious. And in the end, he might very well be injured or hurt and it impacts the season.

But we're not there yet.

edit: and wwl reported he was back practicing yesterday and that initial report you linked wasn't entirely correct...

from Yaskinkas -

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  8. Old School

Old School Site Contributor

Fixed it for ya! :cowboy1:

9. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Question for you NOLA-Saints fans: where's Bush now listed on the team depth-charts, at running back or at one of the receiver positions ?
    And is Pierre Thomas now unofficially the new Deuce McAllister in NOLA and the starting tail-back on your team ?

10. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I guess it was OK when the Texans were called stupid and laughed at . Now that VY is 3rd string and Bush can't stay healthy , while Mario is making the pro-bowl and his stock is still rising , we are told to let it go ... hmmm .

Brando likes this.
  11. jlam

jlam Veteran

He's listed as a running back, as I imagine he will be for the foreseeable future.

As much as he gets pegged with the "reciever" label, he really doesn't run all that many reciever routes in our offense. Most of his catches come out of the backfield by design and are essentially extended handoffs in that the pass is about 95% guaranteed to be complete, while at the same time the defense pretty much sees it coming, making it a lot like a running play both in development and result (average ypc). I'd actually like to see him run more "reciever" routes just to change it up and not allow linebackers to crowd him close to the line.

But I'd suspect he'll continue to get the normal 10 or so carries per game while being thrown to 8-10 times as well. More or less of each as context dictates.

As it relates to Pierre, I'm kind of hesitant to say he's taken over Deuce's role in that I don't think he's proven he has the durability to carry the ball 20-25 times (tough carries at that) over the course of a season. But then, Deuce himself only did that for about 3 seasons so it's a tough task for anyone in today's NFL. Many others disagree with me and would like to see Pierre assume the workload of a traditional running back, so it's certainly not unanimous. I just tend to think it might be counterproductive considering our passing game is so potent. Sure I want to be able to run the ball, but there's only so much clock and we only have the ball so much. It's a point of contention.

In our offense it's not really going to be required of him anyway outside of a few probably late game clock control situations, so I really wouldn't worry myself with "starting" and "backup" labels. It's all contextual. Some weeks Pierre will be the tailback on the first play, some weeks he won't. Depends on what play we want to run first I suppose.

On a side note, are the Texans selling tickets to the practices against the Saints here in Houston in a couple weeks? I've seen some places that they were closed to the public, then others that people were looking for tickets. Wondering if maybe they were talking about tickets to the preseason game, but :shrug:.

RazorOye likes this.
  12. RazorOye

RazorOye Ayo

never said it was okay. Not even remotely the point I was making

which is precisely why I think you should let it go. That was the point I was making.

Don't conflate the two - I was excited to get Reggie. Still very excited to have Reggie. But I also thought the media histrionics vis a vis the Mario pick was too melodramatic. The comments made toward/about the Texans and their organization ranged from silly to insulting. When it comes to draft picks, I tend to wait a little while before I start labeling picks stupid and draftees busts.

Just like I thought it was premature to call Williams a foolish pick, likewise do I think it's premature (and inaccurate to date) to call Reggie a "bust"

So you can get defensive and think that I was pointing and laughing at the Texans - I wasn't. I'm just saying - you have a tremendous player - it's time to let this go, imo.

And the original link in the OP has been changed to reflect the following:

there really is nothing to see here - at least yet. And hopefully not ever again, this season and beyond.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Affirmative.
    Or atleast they were and here's the link to get your ticket(s) if still available.
    http://www.houstontexans.com/fanzone/TexansvsSaintsOpenPractice.asp

jlam likes this.
  14. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Hopefully his knees explode and he never plays another down of football. Hopefully.

15. jlam

jlam Veteran

16. jlam

jlam Veteran

Sounds like an episode of "Bones".

17. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

And Charlie Rodgers too. Wheww - glad we got "stuck" with Andre Johnson.

18. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Not sure what we "need to let go". Goldensilence simply made a report about a high profile NFL player being injured in the NFL section. The other day someone made a similiar post about an Eagles player going down in here.

Sure, someone commented that we dodged a bullet by not buying into the hype and drafting Reggie however that is a good point from a Texans fan's perspective. This is a Texans board and you will probably see a Texans slant on most posts here.

OK, I will admit I didn't see swtbound07's post when I initially posted this ... lol. I think some might still be a little miffed by his "thanks for not drafting me" line in whatever commercial that was.

19. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

Ok All at once Charlie Casserly was right.

20. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...