Bush in trouble for family home in LA?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by texansfaninla, Apr 23, 2006.

1. texansfaninla

texansfaninla Veteran

2. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

im sure its a fake storie im sure someone coming from a low income family would of not put there moral values on the line like that.:stirpot:

3. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

If I were poor I would want my family to live in a nice home -- even if I bent the rules. They would have to be living in a dangerous ghetto shack though. The question -- was Reggie and his family so poor they needed a $750,000 home to live in? That is a California price so we might be talking about a house that would be a $150,000 in Houston. I'm not being very clear here, but I hope Reggie didn't move his middle class family to a nicer home just to take advantage of his situation at USC.

4. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

it'd be trouble for USC, not bush.

5. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

It might be trouble for both, but it's more on USC than Bush -- it won't effect the draft at all.

6. HeroTime

HeroTime Rookie

If you actually read the article the guy was not a "sports agent" until after he rented out to RB's Parents. Bassically the story goes as the guy rented out to the parents then when he realized who they where tried to pimp RB out and then formed his own company that never got of the ground.

So if you are a college athlete and your parents "rent" be carefull because the guy could become an "agent" after the fact and get your son into hot water.

7. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

I'm not going to speculate on the issue until I see more details unfold.

Looks like trouble for USC though. If they were innocent, why would the family move out of the house within 24 hours so abruptly like that?

8. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

No, the reason it's not going to have an effect on Reggie is because he's no longer a USC player. If he were returning for his senior season, USC and Bush would be in trouble.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If it is true, it could be a ding on his character and hurt his endorsements and may hurt his leverage on the signing bonus.

10. Daonly

Daonly Veteran

Who Cares... They did it through a (Loop Hole). It's like hey Man.. I like the way you sing. Move in with me, and when your contract over with So N Do Records.. i'll form my Record Label and so They can't sue when you sign with me.Reggie Bush got a House for his family from a guy at the time who wasn't a sports agent. No contracts was signed. He probally was charing them like $100 a month for rent; and Just for them to pay utilities. Surley Reggie Bush going to pay the guy for all of the rent and etc, When he gets his bonus.

11. MikeMc

MikeMc All Pro

It will mean Bush will slide in the draft because of "character" issues. Now it is more clear that the Texans will draft Mario!

3000 sq ft for $750,000 in Cali is nothing.....my wife's cousin has a home in San Jose, and it is roughly 3000 sq ft, valued at $1.3 mil.

That would equate to a $200k home in most of the GHA. As they say..location, location, location.

We sold our house in January for $190k (2900 sq ft)....down in League City.

However, we purchased our new home (4500 sq ft) in Spring for $300k. Difference, old home was a Perry, new home is a Meritage. Location and builder make a huge difference......so says Capt. Obvious!

12. HeroTime

HeroTime Rookie

Maybe he was not an "agent" when the moved in to the house. Read the article will ya.

13. HeroTime

HeroTime Rookie

Read the story will ya.

14. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

No- you said the reason he wouldn't be in trouble was because his family lived in the house, not him.

15. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

He may have to go with Powerade instead of Gatorade.

16. HeroTime

HeroTime Rookie

You guys really need to read the story. The owner of the house is not an agent. He tried to sell Bush to an agent months after Reggie's parents moved in. It never worked. End of story. The guy saw money and it was thrown back in his face when they found out about it.

17. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

or All Sport.

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

http://www.niagara.edu/compliance/NCAARules-ExtraBenefits.htm

EXTRA BENEFITS – PRE-EXISTING RELATIONSHIPS

Boosters are prohibited from providing any type of benefit to a current or prospective student-athlete. NCAA Bylaw 12.1.1.1.6 prohibits preferential treatment, benefits or services because of the individual's athletics reputation or skill or pay-back potential as a professional athlete, unless such treatment, benefits or services are specifically permitted under NCAA legislation.

The only exception to this rule is if there is a clear preexisting relationship between the booster and the student-athlete. The NCAA membership services staff reviewed the application of NCAA Bylaw 12.1.1.1.6 as it relates to factual situations in which an individual (student-athlete or prospective student-athlete) has received benefits prior to collegiate enrollment from someone other than a family member or legal guardian, and agreed that the following objective guidelines generally should be used in determining whether such benefits are contrary to the legislation:

Did the relationship between the athlete (or the athlete's parents) and the individual providing the benefit(s) develop as a result of the athlete's participation in athletics or notoriety related thereto?

Did the relationship between the athlete (or the athlete's parents) and the individual providing the benefit(s) predate the athlete's status as a prospective student-athlete?

Did the relationship between the athlete (or the athlete's parents) and the individual providing the benefit(s) predate the athlete's status achieved as a result of his or her athletics ability or reputation?

Was the pattern of benefits provided by the individual to the athlete (or the athlete's parents) prior to the athlete attaining notoriety as a skilled athlete similar in nature to those provided after attaining such stature?

The subcommittee, however, noted that the origin and duration of a relationship and the consistency of benefits provided during the relationship are key factors in determining whether the benefits provided are contrary to the spirit and intent of Bylaw 12.1.1.1.6. The subcommittee determined that prior to initial full-time collegiate enrollment, a prospective student-athlete may receive normal and reasonable living expenses from an individual with whom the student-athlete has an established relationship (e.g., high-school coach, nonscholastic athletics team coach, family of a teammate), even if the relationship developed as a result of athletics participation, provided:

The individual is not an agent,

The individual is not an athletics representative of a particular institution involved in recruiting the prospect, and

Such living expenses are consistent with the types of expenses provided by the individual as a part of normal living arrangements (e.g., housing, meals, occasional spending money, use of the family car).

The subcommittee noted that the above mentioned interpretation does not apply to individuals who have no logical ties to the prospect. It also noted that a current student-athlete who, prior to initial collegiate enrollment, has been receiving normal and reasonable living expenses from an individual with whom he or she has an established relationship may continue to receive occasional benefits (e.g., meals during campus visits, reasonable entertainment) from an individual or family with whom the student-athlete has an established relationship. Such expenses may not include educational expenses associated with a grant-in-aid (i.e., tuition and fees, room and board, and required course-related books). [References: Bylaws 12.1.1.1.6 (preferential treatment, benefits or services); 15.2.5 (financial aid from outside sources); 16.12.2.4 (preferential treatment)]

19. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

I wonder if this Bush story is what they were referring to:

I usually balk at Pro Football Talk, but sometimes they are right, or at least partially.

From the Yahoo story.

20. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

It will be interesting to see how far this goes before the draft. By that I mean will all or most of the information come out in public or will it take a while for it all to come out.