Bush had better IMPRESS ME BIGTIME tonight!

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Marcus, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Tonight he goes up against what is probably going to be the next best thing to an NFL defense.

So, he had better knock my fricken socks off, and I mean make me yell out "WOW! Did you see that run?" at least 5 times.

Or he's not worth it.

This is my first comment ever on Reggie Bush. I've been listening to all the hype, watching all these put-together videos with running untouched through these big wide holes against inferior competition . . . not ever getting hit.

Tonight I will watch the game for one reason and one reason only. I could care less about Texas or USC, and I could care even less than that who wins the stupid game. I will be watching one player and one player only.

Tonight is his drivers test. And it won't be hard for me to determine whether he passes, or fails.

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Good points, Marcus. I kinda' feel the same way. It's tough to see through all the hype about the player. I can't recall in recent memory ever seeing the amount of unconditional love and hype for a college prospect. The thing that scares me is that Mr. McNair could be forced to draft Bush just because of the massive hype machine that has been built around him.

Tonight's game should be interesting, to say the least. I'm watching it with an eye towards our Texans future, without a doubt. Hope he's all that and a bag of chips, because he'll most likely be a Texan next season.

3. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Nice post Marcus and pretty much what I was thinking. Mind you I will be watching a couple of players though.
    UT
    Michael Huff
    Cedric Griffin
    Jon Scott
    Justin Blaylock
    Rod Wright
    USC
    Darnell Bing
    Dominique Byrd
    REGGIE "ohh my hype" BUSH
    Lendale White
    Matt Lionhart
    Winston Justice
    Whatever that big hawain's name is.

4. texplayer2

texplayer2 Veteran

In comparison did you watch Brick and Winston, did they WOW you? AJ Hawk looked good against ND. What are your expectations for tonight? Watch how Texas defends Bush and how USC uses the guy.

5. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

These are the guys I had in mind to watch as well. I am not as cynical as Marcus in regards to Bush, but if he is stymied by a great Texas D, then I will probably switch to the trade down camp, but I don't neccessarily need 5 jaw dropping moments either. I have seen enough of him, and no, not just highlights, to understand how much talent and athletism this guy has. Now, I just want to see how he does against a physical, fast defense. If he does well, (doesn't have to be great to me) then I am in the draft Bush camp. If he has 45 yards on 17 carries, then no, put me in the trade down camp.

I would be watching the game anyway, as this is for all the marbles, it's a great matchup, we have some electrifying talent to watch, and as a Texan, I am rooting hard for Texas tonight. Hookem Horns!

6. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

Has anyone called Pete Carrol to have Bush carry 30 times tonight. We need to see if he can standup to an entire games beating.

7. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

this game is going to make or brake a lot of players. Huff is probably gonna be on Bush when he lines up as a receiver. you can bet that if huff dominates, he WILL go in the top 20, if Bush has a big night against him, he might just fall. Meanwhile, if VY has tons of time to throw, expect Jon Scott to be among the top 4 Tackles taken. Both of these teams have had only a few games against top competiton (UT vs Ohio State) was the only BIG game these teams have played...

8. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I think I've read somewhere about how the Trojans have really tough practices where the first team defense practices against the first team offense so that both are used to playing against great players all of the time. Colin Cowherd has been to some of these practices and has said that Reggie completely dominates the first team Trojan defense including potential first round pick Darnell Bing.

9. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

I think this could be totally unfair here. You are basing everythign on ONE game.

The problem with that is ...how is Bush Defensed...for that matter how is USC's run defensed. I mean if UT goes 8 or 9 in the box the entire night....how can you expect him to have a big night? I mean quite honestly that's what I'd do. I'd try to make USC one-dimensional and I'd rather take my chances against the WR's than against bush and white who are clearly DOMINANT.

10. texplayer2

texplayer2 Veteran

If Texas tries to stack the box, Lienert will light up the board. I think they will try and disguise a lot of their plays on D. Lienerts forth and 9 for 60yrds. against ND was an audible. Or they would shift Bush out in the slot and we will still get some looks at his potential.

11. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Good point, I thought of this myself. But, in that case, Bush still CHANGES the game. By forcing the D to totally game plan for himself, don't you think that open opportunites elsewhere? Either way, the guy has a huge impact on the game.

BTW - what is the "or else" to this threat Marcus?:challenge

12. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Honestly I don't know how you stop this team. If you focus everything on stopping LenDale and Reggie then Matt is going to light you up. If you focus on stopping Matt then LenDale and Reggie are going to light you up. Steve Smith and Dwayne Jarrett might not have the same superstar recognition as Matt, Reggie, and LenDale, but they are very good receivers and can and have taken over games.

13. The Preacher

The Preacher Veteran

If they stack the box Reggie will go out wide and if they think any safety in the country can cover him then he will will have a big night. Probably not any corner that can cover him for that matter.

14. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

I'm already in the Draft Bush Camp, so I'm not concerned so much as to how he performs tonight. Personally, I don't think he'll be playing at 100 percent intensity, just my opinion. So if he puts up big numbers tonight, i'm going to be really impressed, but if he puts up so so numbers I won't be too disappointed. My biggest concern is that he doesn't get injured, that might actually make me cry.

15. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Why wouldn't he play at 100% intensity? If he can't gear himself up to play all-out for a chance to win a third championship in a row and playing against possibly the toughest teamt they've faced in three years, then I don't want him on my team.

16. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

1. A sweet UT win. A game for the ages that lives up to the hype.

2. Reggie does great, but not good enough.

3. Nobody gets hurt.

4. VY stays in school.

5. Nobody gets hurt.

6. Nobody gets hurt.

7. Nobody gets hurt.

8. Nobody gets hurt.

9. Nobody gets hurt.

Oh, and did I mention,

10. Nobody gets hurt. Infinity. :)

17. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah All Pro

I want to see UT win, but Reggie Bush has a good game. I especially don't want to see any injuries.

18. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Why on earth would he not be playing at 100% intesity? Did someone forget to tell him this is for the National Championship, or did he hit his head, and thinks this is spring practice? That has to be one of the most ridicolous statements of the year. I wish we had a "ridiculous post of the year" award. I would nominate this one.

19. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Reread my post, Porky. I never said "or else". I did say "or he's not worth it" which should be self-explanatory, unless your uptake department is working with a skeleton crew this holiday season.:)

As for the Texas D stacking the box, first of all, so what? If he's the the next Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, OJ Simpson all wrapped up in a big red bow, why should that stop him? Second, I can't see the Longhorns DC being that stupid. (But it is UT, afterall..:rolleyes: )

The "5 jaw-dropping moments" are an exaggeration, but I do expect to see something extraordinary against a very good team if I'm going to be comfortable watching McNair being forced to throw all the salary cap eggs into one basket on an over-hyped running back.

You are right about one thing, Porky. I couldn't be more cynical about this.

20. Salesbury Steak

Salesbury Steak Waterboy

I live in LA and been to many SC games. First of all, you can't measure someone's talent off of one game. Bush lives up to all this hype because he has been consistently dominant this season. If Bush has a average game (he has had a couple this season already), then does that drop him out of being a potential first pick??? No way. That's the silliest thing I've heard.

In fact, I think the player MOST hyped is Darnell Bing. You want to see a physical, hard-hitting safety??? Look at USC's Scott Ware (#29) tonight. BAMMM!!!! I would love to see Ware in a Texans uniform next year.