Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Burnt toast

stevo3883 said:
being a corner isnt all about ints. the only reason buchanon is semi-interesting is his supposed "big play ability". hes pretty much useless in every other facet of the game, and when he's useless in the big play portion too, hes just plain useless and has no reason to be earning a salary.

im sorry, but all of you that say hes cheap, thats 850,000 we could spend on a player that actually will contribute to the team.

Buchanon's total cap hit for 06 will be 806,720. It's not all that much money to take a chance to see if he can turn it around this season and even if he doesn't he could still play nickel or dime back. Moran Norris, Bennie Joppru, and Tony Banks will all be a bigger hit to our cap in 06 than Buchanon, and when was the last time you even saw Norris on the field or saw Joppru at all? Either way, this is the last year of his contract so if he does stink it up we can cut him or just let him go with no cap implications.

texan279 said:
Are you telling me you would draft Reggie Bush #1 and pay him #1 money and then let him risk injury returning punts?

yes, he returned punts all through college, and we would be taking him because of his versatility, not in spite of it.

we would use him every way we could.

IMO problem with P-buch and basically the whole secondary is
1) no pass rush
2) all of them didn't work as a unit.

What I understood with P-buch is he can play man on man ... he'll make spectacular interceptions and yet get burned too.. we seemed to play alot of zone (well atleast the times I noticed)

Wolf said:
IMO problem with P-buch and basically the whole secondary is
1) no pass rush
2) all of them didn't work as a unit.

What I understood with P-buch is he can play man on man ... he'll make spectacular interceptions and yet get burned too.. we seemed to play alot of zone (well atleast the times I noticed)

We played zone and also played the DB's 5-10 yards off the line of scrimmage most of the time (seemed to me anyway). Add that to the lack of pass rush we had for most of the season and we were just asking to get beat continuously with the deep ball, balls over the middle, and the balls thrown underneath. I have mentioned this before but had some here disagree with me about the zone coverage thing. I think this is one reason DRob didn't do as well last season as he did in his rookie season. Our defense was just so vanilla, boring, and ineffective last season.

stevo3883 said:
yes, he returned punts all through college, and we would be taking him because of his versatility, not in spite of it.

we would use him every way we could.

I understand Bush returned punts and was versatile in college, but this is the NFL. How many starting RB's, #1 WR's, or #1 overall draft picks (besides Steve Smith) do you see returning punts in the NFL today?

Wolf and I are in agreement that P-Buch can be a good corner, but will get burned. He needs to be right up in the grill of the WR, and the front 7 need to get some pressure on that QB.

I'm starting to wonder what would happen if we just switched Bradford and P-Buck. Nevermind, I don't wanna see Bradford in a Texans uniform again.

bigTEXan8 said:
Wolf and I are in agreement that P-Buch can be a good corner, but will get burned. He needs to be right up in the grill of the WR, and the front 7 need to get some pressure on that QB.

He's not going to get in anybody's grill, becuase he isn't a physical player, Tim Dwight would out muscle him at the line. Yes, with a great pass rush and an all-star CB on his other side, he can be a decent corner, but you don't give up 2nd round picks to get decent players. When you want PBuc, you are saying, 'I want a corner that will get me a few big plays, but I understand he will get burned'; no matter what the Texans do, that is how he plays the game, and the only way he stays off the bench is if he makes a few of those big plays. He lived fat off of playing opposite C.Woodson since he's been in the league, and we saw as soon as Charles productivity dropped off, so did his, and as good as Dunta is, he's not at that elite CB level yet...

Ibar_Harry said:
I believe he is another victum of the ineptness of the previous coaching staff and the schemes they were employing. Even DROB didn't look that good last year. The Raiders coaching staff was not exactly the best in the world either. This is a different year and I think everyone is going to be surprised and I would not write off any player based on the previous coaching staff and the positions they placed the players in. They played schemes and called plays that were dommed to failure. Relax and let the new coaching staff show you what the game is really all about.

Agreed.

TreWardTxn said:
He lived fat off of playing opposite C.Woodson since he's been in the league, and we saw as soon as Charles productivity dropped off, so did his, and as good as Dunta is, he's not at that elite CB level yet...
Playing CB doesn't work like that. If you are opposite an elite player you get all the plays your way...the player getting fat off the other one is the elite CB...because teams challenge the weak link much more than the stronger player. Good coaching won't make him less of a coward...I saw him pull up from some hits last year. He won't throw his body around like a football player needs to...him and Coleman both last year had issues with giving up their bodies.

jerek said:
The coachong staff isn't always the problem if a player doesn't succeed.

Sometimes it's OK to blame a player for having a bad year/career or it's OK to blame a GM and the owner for not doing their homework before they bring in a player that has underperformed, especially for a 1st rd'r from Miami U with speed to burn.

He is a great shutdown corner. The last D did not utilize his talents. He cant tackle at all and that was what he was asked to do.

Nope yall have not convinced me of anything or showed me anyreason why this excuse of a cornerback should be on this team.

I am starting to plan his release party

Old coaching staff or not, if can't tackle, he should not play defense regardless of position or other skills. That's just as basic as breathing.

Keldar said:
Old coaching staff or not, if can't tackle, he should not play defense regardless of position or other skills. That's just as basic as breathing.
I agree for the most part but Deon Sanders couldnt tackle either and im pretty sure everybody would like to have had him on the Texans.

I reckon we could get away with having a Deon Sanders type corner, IF the other ten guys were good enough to make up for the lack of tackling by the one.

Unfortunately, in our case....thats not the case.

Get A New QB said:
you know what im tired of yall talking down on PBuch
when the trade was made yall were so happy it was sad really now for one bad season you think he is the problem that is so wrong:brickwall

Dunta had a gray season to how come yall dont talk bad about him???:confused:

i hated it when it happened, and every minute since.

its not one bad season for buchanon, its a bad career. he got traded for a reason.

Get A New QB said:
you know what im tired of yall talking down on PBuch
when the trade was made yall were so happy it was sad really now for one bad season you think he is the problem that is so wrong:brickwall

Dunta had a gray season to how come yall dont talk bad about him???:confused:

Because he showed heart and gave 110% every play.

Dunta had a gray season to how come yall dont talk bad about him???

Because Dunta will knock you into next week if you look like you have the ball.

And I will talk how I want to about a two bit pimp wanna be who can't play defense for crap in the NFL.

Raider fans told me he showed up at his first practice in a limo wearing pajamas, If thats how he wants to act he needs to cut a CD.

I agree that Buchanon is worth the money (none of it guaranteed, remember - we can cut him at any time) just to return punts, but until he stops being quite such a horrific liability in the running game I don't want to see him near the field on defense in anything other than third and very long.

Vinny said:
Playing CB doesn't work like that. If you are opposite an elite player you get all the plays your way...the player getting fat off the other one is the elite CB...because teams challenge the weak link much more than the stronger player. Good coaching won't make him less of a coward...I saw him pull up from some hits last year. He won't throw his body around like a football player needs to...him and Coleman both last year had issues with giving up their bodies.

Exactly right! And, since he is so the weaker link compared to DR, he is going to get hammered big time by opposing Offensive coordinators and QB's. How many times last year did we see balls thrown and completed for first downs on his side of the field because of "the cushion" he was giving the receiver.

Bottomline, he doesn't cover, hit or tackle and is a barely adequate nickel back and if it was not for Tony Hollings, he would be the worst personnel move IMO the Texans have made. I say, he gets this camp to get up into the receiver he is covering and run with him at least or cut him just on the general principle of not having gutless players anywhere on the team regardless of how fast they are.

We need football players, not track stars and yes that comment applies to Bradford as well.

Is it possible he was playing cussion as coached. Is it possible people were worried about the long play vs the short play. I understand your feelings, but people have to understand our players were doing in large part what they were told and had to do whether they liked it or not. I think this is becoming more evident from a number of the comments coming out of the new coaching staff after reveiw of the Texans films. Relax and see what happens. I have been preaching for a long time we may have had the honor of having one of the worst coaching staffs ever assembled in the NFL. Outwardly no, but inwardly they were. Again, nice guys, but they had no idea what they were doing and they were leaderless.

Ibar_Harry said:
Is it possible he was playing cussion as coached. Is it possible people were worried about the long play vs the short play. I understand your feelings, but people have to understand our players were doing in large part what they were told and had to do whether they liked it or not. I think this is becoming more evident from a number of the comments coming out of the new coaching staff after reveiw of the Texans films. Relax and see what happens. I have been preaching for a long time we may have had the honor of having one of the worst coaching staffs ever assembled in the NFL. Outwardly no, but inwardly they were. Again, nice guys, but they had no idea what they were doing and they were leaderless.

Man I hope you are right...and I promise to appologize publicly on this MB to CC if the new staff can get PB to play up to the value we paid for him but IMO although "possible" it is very unlikely. The main data points that I will offer is the contrast between the way DR and even Faggins played coverage vs the way PB did under the same coaching.

BTW, I agree completely with you that the coaching was horrible so it is hard to say but I really have a bad feeling about what this guy "is willing" to do on a football field which is hard to effect with even good coaching.

El Tejano said:
I think the 4-3 will do wonders for him. I still don't like him right now though.

he was in a 4-3 in oakland...

The main thing that irks me is this- we got pbuc because the coaches thought a change of scenery would bring out the talent he supposedly posseses.

He changed scenery, and had his worst season ever. Ok, experiment over, cut him.

stevo3883 said:
he was in a 4-3 in oakland...

The main thing that irks me is this- we got pbuc because the coaches thought a change of scenery would bring out the talent he supposedly posseses.

He changed scenery, and had his worst season ever. Ok, experiment over, cut him.
New Coaches new scenery new experiment.

Did he back off so much in Oakland? It seems like he didn't, but he did gamble and go inside for picks and get burned. Then he comes here and the coaches tell him to be safe, not take chances, and back up like 15 freaking yards. So, he did it and it's a stupid idea--kind of like telling your QB to throw all his passes in under 3 seconds.

I don't know about him or if what I just said is true, but I do know that that coaching staff really sucked. I mean really sucked. At what little he costs, I think he should get another chance under a different HC and he will.

Joe Texan said:
Because Dunta will knock you into next week if you look like you have the ball.

And I will talk how I want to about a two bit pimp wanna be who can't play defense for crap in the NFL.

Raider fans told me he showed up at his first practice in a limo wearing pajamas, If thats how he wants to act he needs to cut a CD.

You can't use his flamboyant Cali behavior as an excuse now. He was disciplined as a Texan last year. His play was not up to snuff, either he is going to be this way or is a slow learner. I was pro-PB when we got him, hope that he doesn't disappoint us again. At 800K, I am in agreement with several here to keep him, maybe his niche will be discovered under new management. :redtowel:
We have to get something out of this investment.

Yo Joe, while you are planning your Pburnt party...are you going to sacrifice your 'Joetime" #31 customized jersey? :)

The Sacrifice is on the back burner at the moment as I can always remove his name and apply the name that fits. JoeTexan, I was all aboard his ship when he got here but he is like hmm well he is like a two bit pimp wannabe who caint play football wit da big boys.

HJam72 said:
Did he back off so much in Oakland? It seems like he didn't, but he did gamble and go inside for picks and get burned. Then he comes here and the coaches tell him to be safe, not take chances, and back up like 15 freaking yards. So, he did it and it's a stupid idea--kind of like telling your QB to throw all his passes in under 3 seconds.

I don't know about him or if what I just said is true, but I do know that that coaching staff really sucked. I mean really sucked. At what little he costs, I think he should get another chance under a different HC and he will.

Goes a long with what I have been saying for some time and that is you can not evaluate any of these players based on what they did with the previous coaching staff, because of the ineptness of that staff and having to do what you were told or else. There were a lot of players on our ball club in that boat. I have been preaching a wait and see approach. I think it is more than justified.

Big B Texan Fan said:
He gets one more free pass due to him being AJ's best friend and all. I'm not saying that is the real reason, just that I see AJ going to bat for him and saying things like :"give 'em one more chance" and "he's better than that" and etc......

Besides Joe, what's the difference. We seem to be in the business of keeping or acquiring poor talent (T. Couch??). We're turning into the Rd 1 Flameouts Refuge of Drafts Past.

Maybe if we're lucky while Casserly is sleeping he will get a visit from Vince Lombardi (the Ghost of Drafts/Trades Past), then a visit from Hank Stram (the Ghost of Drafts/Trades Present), and then a visit from himself in the future in the year 2010 (the Ghost of Drafts/Trades Future).

LOL! I wonder when he wakes up after the ghostly visitations, if he is wearing a silly lookin' night cap!:)

I also add when he was playing off he looked like he was looking for safety help. Of Course Safeties werent to good last year either..

I think our coverages were too complex to even grasp. Chad Johnson of the Bengals said they had schemes that he had never seen before. Maybe simplify him to play bump and run and just put boxing gloves on his hands so he doesnt have the temptation to go for the INT.

Ibar_Harry said:
I believe he is another victum of the ineptness of the previous coaching staff and the schemes they were employing. Even DROB didn't look that good last year. The Raiders coaching staff was not exactly the best in the world either. This is a different year and I think everyone is going to be surprised and I would not write off any player based on the previous coaching staff and the positions they placed the players in. They played schemes and called plays that were dommed to failure. Relax and let the new coaching staff show you what the game is really all about.

Freudian slip? :D

:coffee:

Ibar_Harry said:
Goes a long with what I have been saying for some time and that is you can not evaluate any of these players based on what they did with the previous coaching staff, because of the ineptness of that staff and having to do what you were told or else. There were a lot of players on our ball club in that boat. I have been preaching a wait and see approach. I think it is more than justified.
I agree with you comments on the past coaching staff, but if you watched any of the games you can see that pb does not like to hit people are be hit. If you don't like contact, you should not be playing in the nfl.

I think PBurnt should have been released immediately after the game in which he clearly dodged contact and turned to let the RB score. I've tried to erase the memory from my brain

It's time to stop this "good enough" attitude that pervades the Texans. The owner should accept nothing less than the best, and PBurnt does not meet that criteria. I think showing him the door mid season last year would have sent a message to the rest of the team

While I'm on that subject, I hope Kubiak sits Peek's butt every time he gets one of those dumb personal foul calls. Just don't put up with it. Send a message to everyone that we're not putting up with mediocre play and dumb-*** decisions.

DenverBorn said:
I think PBurnt should have been released immediately after the game in which he clearly dodged contact and turned to let the RB score. I've tried to erase the memory from my brain

Yea, whenever i see or hear his name that play comes to mind. They say our coaches never really studied him before the trade. Well thats a bunch of bs, we scorched him the year before when we played oakland. My buddy from oakland was with me at that game and he and the rest of their fans had nothing good to say about him. We just blew it on that trade.

Bubbajwp said:
He definetly had an off season returning punts. But who is better than him.
How many punts did he get to return? In case you guys didnt notice, we didnt force to many punts last year...something along the lines of worst defense in the NFL...

Napa Auto Parts said:
Phillip should of been our team MVP he got us our first win:stirpot: remember cleveland

Sorry to say, but you're wrong on this one.

Kris Brown should be our MVP and HE is the one that one this game w/ four FGs. He managed to account for half of our wins this season AND get us the #1 pick AND get a raise...LOL.

Phillip should of been our team MVP he got us our first win remember cleveland

The only reason the two bit pimp wannabe got that interseption is cause the ball was way under thrown. Had the pass been good he would have been burned again.

texan279 said:
Buchanon's total cap hit for 06 will be 806,720. It's not all that much money to take a chance to see if he can turn it around this season and even if he doesn't he could still play nickel or dime back. Moran Norris, Bennie Joppru, and Tony Banks will all be a bigger hit to our cap in 06 than Buchanon, and when was the last time you even saw Norris on the field or saw Joppru at all? Either way, this is the last year of his contract so if he does stink it up we can cut him or just let him go with no cap implications.

Im not even convinced that Bennie Japupru is even a real person. He's like some figment of peoples imagination or a mythical creature, like and elf, a farie, or an eskimo.

122203bigfoot.jpg

joppru training for next season

Back