Bum and Dan Support Kubiak

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Pollardized, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Pollardized

Pollardized Division Champ

2. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

Didn't see this anywhere...

By CHRIS DUNCAN
    AP Sports Writer

HOUSTON (AP) _ Texans coach Gary Kubiak has two Houston football icons in his corner as he faces his uncertain future.
    Former Oilers coach Bum Phillips and ex-Oilers quarterback Dan Pastorini attended Wednesday’s practice and urged Texans owner Bob McNair to retain Kubiak despite the team’s nosedive this season.
    The Texans (5-10) have lost eight of their last nine games heading into Sunday’s season finale at home against Jacksonville (8-7). Kubiak is finishing his fifth season and fans are bombarding local radio shows with calls that he be fired.
    After watching practice, the 87-year-old Phillips said the team seemed to still be focused and working hard.
    “You’re not going to get any better coach than him,” Phillips said. “If you can get your team to practice like these kids practiced, the last week of the season, with nothing to look forward to, then believe me, he’s got control of the team. He’s always been a good coach. You’re not going to get any better than Gary Kubiak.”
    Kubiak was a ball boy for the Oilers when Phillips was the coach and Pastorini was playing in the late 1970s. Pastorini said the Texans have to make “a few tweaks” in the offseason, but seem to be on the right track under Kubiak.
    “I think he’s a good coach, I think the players love him and respect him,” Pastorini said. “I know a lot of people are calling for his head. But I, for one, believe in him. I think he can turn it around. I don’t think there’s a lot of shaking up needed.”
    Kubiak has tried to tune out the speculation. He said Monday that he’s only focused on Sunday’s game and more worried about the fate of his assistant coaches than his own.
    On Wednesday, he was almost defiant, vowing that he plans to coach in the NFL for years to come.
    “I’m going to do this for a long time,” Kubiak said. “I’m a good coach, I’ve got a lot to give. I know it’s part of the business, and when you get yourself into the position I’m in as a head coach, those are things you’ve got to deal with. So I will deal with them the right way, and I will come out of them a better coach.
    “I understand that’s part of the deal,” he said. “Is it tough? You bet.”
    Phillips and Pastorini ate lunch with McNair and general manager Rick Smith in the team cafeteria after Wednesday’s workout.
    The meal may have allowed Phillips to put in a good word for his son, Wade, who was fired by the Dallas Cowboys after the team started 1-7.
    The Texans will almost certainly be looking to replace defensive coordinator Frank Bush, regardless of whether Kubiak stays or goes. Houston ranks 29th in total defense (380.6 yards per game) and last against the pass this season (277.1).
    Wade Phillips would be one of the most experienced defensive coordinators available, with stints for Denver (1989-92), Buffalo (1995-97) and Atlanta (2002-03) and Dallas (2004-06) before he became the Cowboys’ head coach.
    Bum Phillips said Wade is eager to get another job.
    “Wade doesn’t know how to enjoy anything but football,” Phillips said. “A lot of people, if they don’t have football, they play golf or they gamble a lot, or go fishing. He doesn’t care about any of that. All he cares about is football. As long as he feels that way, I’m sure he’ll stay in it.”

3. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

No offense to these guys, but who cares what they think? If McNair is not going to listen to the folks who financially support his team then why would two old school icons matter?

4. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Agree. I'm starting to think this organization...McNair..is just a joke.

5. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Looks like Pastorini still has a severe drinking problem and Bum's just trying to get his kid a job.

Eh.

TexansFight, Ryan and J_R like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost lol football :D

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Rep if the system would let me. I agree completely, and while I have the utmost respect for Bum, I don't have to agree with his perspectives on this issue.

8. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

most relevant part of the story imo

isnt that as close as a 'wades coming' as can be given with bush still here?

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

There is a grandson to think about as well.

10. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Great. We all know how much Bob values everyone elses opinion.

#Ontherighttrack

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Actually, the problem is that he would and does listen to guys like this. Remember he was all giddy a couple of weeks back because an owner or two said something about them being on the right track. Remember he heard Dan reeves say that you could win with Mittens at QB.

12. tedr

tedr Veteran

Also heard Ray Childress on 790 with Matt Thomas. He was defending Kubes as well. Didn't Childress play with Kubiak at A&M?

I respect all three of these guys a lot, but I think they're all wrong here.

13. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Hey ... on the bright side ... Wade's got a daughter .

[​IMG]

This is marketing 101 at best .

Revolution, scourge and BetaV1 like this.
  14. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

Glad that this article was put up.

Ran out of TP at the house and don't feel like going to the store.

....think the printer just finished up. Sweet relief!

:gun:

15. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Where there's smoke there's fire. I think more and more this is going to be the end result.

Gary as our coach :kubepalm:

and

Wade as our DC. :wadepalm:

J_R likes this.
  16. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I am waiting for the "Babe of the Day thread" team to endorse Wade Phillips very soon. :)

17. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Are all of these guys still on Bud Adams payroll?? Bum also thought his son was doing a great job in Dallas.

You are what your record says you are Bum.

18. texansdrummer

texansdrummer Hall of Fame

Sounds like this deal is pretty much in the bag. I could be wrong, but it sounds like a great way to ensure the legacy of the Oiler's "success". On the other hand, if Kubes is gonna be here....there's probably not a better choice for DC.

19. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 All Pro

20. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

My thoughts, to those definding the regime, tell me

a) why we sucked and
    b) what tangible things will be changed to prevent sucking next year

Because all I heard all freakin' year long was a lack of answers.