Buffalo vs Texans/ Losman vs Carr

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texansbacker, May 20, 2005.

1. Texansbacker

Texansbacker Veteran

The USA Today has a story on Bills quarterback JP Losman. They are pretty high on this guy in Buffalo and here is what Sam Wyche had to say from the article:

Losman, who appeared in four games last season, completing three of five passes, has been preparing for his first season as a starter since the first week of February, watching tape, lifting, running and throwing six days a week under the watch of quarterbacks coach Sam Wyche.

"J.P. reminds you of a cross between a Jim Kelly and a Brett Favre, stylewise," Wyche says. "I'm not saying he's going to be as good as those guys. But that's the style. He's a rugged quarterback with a strong arm. He's like a linebacker. He throws well on the run, but I expect him to be a pocket passer.

"I'm glad we got him."
    End Quote
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2005-05-18-losman-sw-cover_x.htm

I really hope Carr breaks out this year and quits worrying about his hair and throwning his helmet on the ground looking like John McEnroe throwing his tennisracket. When Carr removes his helmet and the first thing he does is push his hair behind his ear it does not scream Brett Farve or Jim Kelly?

Which quarterback of the past or present would you compare Carr?

To me, he seemed like the perfect guy coming in as a solid family man wearing a piece of tape in lieu of his wedding ring; and then during his first year he took a record setting beating starting all 16 games. Since that time I have given him the benefit of the doubt since our o-line has been dreadful but he has seemed like a different guy. Hope that guy who showed up against the Cowboys in the inaugural season throwing a bomb and a touchdown to kick things off.

That is the guy I want to see.

Not the pretty boy worried about breaking a nail or messing up his hair.

Perhaps a little too harsh but none-the-less.

2. pskinny

pskinny Veteran

Carr is one tough dude. Constantly peeling himself up off the turf. He may look like a pretty boy, but he plays hard. Give him a break.

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

Of course he is going to pump up Losman. His franchise spent big bucks, and picks, to get him. Sounds like he is over hyping him. I think he will be a good QB. But cmon, a mix of Brett and Jim style? That is still saying alot.

4. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

If the Mrs says the hair stays then by gosh THE HAIR STAYS.

5. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

It sounds like in the article that the writer clearly liked Losman more than Carr. It didnt sound like he wanted to say anything good about carr or carr's career. I bet Losman doesnt even have all that good of a rookie season

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It's an article about Losman. The writer never even mentions Carr, much less says anything good or bad.

7. wags

wags Hall of Fame

You only get one rookie season and his is over.

8. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

i didnt know that... it was someone else writting it... i didnt notice it until now.... Rookie season i mean as a started. He might have 1 year of sitting on the bench but this is his first season starting. He has what 5 attempts i read in an article... I dont know that i would be inclined to think he will have that great of a season this year.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

JMO but seems like the person with the hair problem is you not him. Are we really judging athletes' potential by hairstyle choices now? I mean I think fros look stupid. Guess someone needs to tell Randy Moss he doesn't have any potential as a WR--and yes he spends far more time jacking with his hair than Carr.

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

not a fro but .. johnny Damon with the Bosox... that hair really distracts a pitcher :bomb:

seriously though. i have no problem with Carrs hair.. and him slaming the helmet down. yes i hate it but I was hoping it was like a technical foul in basketeball ..to get the team fired up.. If I recall Carr was taking one of his usual beatings that day and the late hit that wasn't callled (I believe that is why he threw his helmet down) was icing on the cake, plus I really hate the nonchallant way our linemen handle themselves during the game when it comes to hits to carr.. I am not saying they need to start fights with the opponents but just have some self pride in protecting carr (I am sure they do,but they dont' show it)

11. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I think if Carr was worried about breaking a nail he would of retired by now, he has been sacked 140 TIMES!

12. Texansbacker

Texansbacker Veteran

Bro! Take it easy on the BOLD and perhaps I was bit disrespectful but I am not being stupid, just making a point.

You mention that I should show some "respect" for Carr since he threw for 3,500 yards last year and 16 touchdowns!??! Now who is being stupid?! Vinny Testaverde threw for 3,500 yards and 17 touchdowns last year and you saw the respect the Cowboys gave him showing him the door! Is that who you are comparing Carr to? Vinnie T? I hope NOT!

Look, as a person Carr is a fine young man and as an athlete he has good feet and has a great arm. I truly hope this is the year he breaks out and fills expectations. And I am not sure what you meant by he is from California and not Mississippi unless you were trying to help make my point, which was in case you missed it, was that Carr needs to lose his preoccupation with his hair (which was TOTALLY self-created) and it would be nice to see him lose the tantrum/whiner attitude and lead like a General ala year one.

If the offensive line improves this year we should expect marked improvement.

Like Brett Farve numbers of 4,300 yards and 31 touchdowns and NOT Carr or Testaverde numbers of 3,500 yards and 16 or 17 touchdowns.

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Testaverde got booted for the 20 INT's he threw not the 3500 passing yards. 3500 yds is just fine if the O runs efficiently--for reference, playoff QBs with less last year--Hasselbeck, Brees, Pennington, Roethlisberger.

Only 3 QB's had more than 4300 yds last year and Brett Favre wasn't one of them--in fact Favre has only thrown for over 4300 yds once in 14 seasons and that was a decade ago. 3800 yds and more TD's is a reasonable goal for expectations on Carr.

14. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I'm sorry I thought he grew the hair out to motivate his team. Also Carr threw his helmet after 3 years of being pile drived into the ground. How about you stand behind that line, come on I bet you'll love it. I'm sure you'll be in a cheerful mood and never get frustrated.

15. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Oh okay everything ties into how the Oline will do, What does that have to do with Carr

16. Texansbacker

Texansbacker Veteran

Carr is the Quarterback and not a wide out ala TO, Joe Horn or Randy Moss. And no, I would not call any of them lacking any potential as a WR but I would not want them leading my team; so really that is an apples to oranges argument.

17. Texansbacker

Texansbacker Veteran

The o-line is the main reason reason we are not a successful offense IMO and a major reason Carr has not had time to succeed. If they improve he should have the opportunity to shine. We have a solid running game and a solid number one receiver in AJ, so it has to be the o-line. If the o-line improves so should Carr, his numbers, and the Texans offense.

18. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

hair thing is fickle. if the guy produces then who cares what his hair is..

male athletes use hair as expression

19. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

agreed. they are the key
    DD is solid and can run.. Oline has to give Carr time to throw to open things up

20. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Okay so if all our and Carrs successes depend on the Oline, Why are you blaming Carr