Buck Harvey gets it, hopefully the Texans will as well.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by TexansFight, Feb 7, 2006.

1. TexansFight

TexansFight All Pro

Great column by Buck Harvey concerning VY:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA020706.1D.buck.12a0280.html

I don't get Carr apologists. What about him makes you think he can lead us to the promised land. As it has been widely reported he is cares more about his family and his religion than he does being a winning QB. That is not the type of guy I want leading my team. I want a guy with a burning desire to win and be a champion.

VY is that guy. Did you guys see him in the college football skills competition. There wasn't a throw he could not make.

2. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

TexansFight, it is 'fans' like you that will eventually lead me to root against the Texans.

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Anyone out there REALLY think that VY puts football ahead of his faith? Just curious.

I really don't know how to respond to this thread.

4. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

I am not a Carr supporter by any means but as far as the above statement is concerned, Carr's order is correct. God & Family come first, football second.

Oh, and Marcus, if another fan can get you to go against the Texans, then good riddance to ya.

5. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

Buddy, you just walked in the land where Carr can do no wrong and nothing is his fault. Boy are you about to be flamed!

6. profan

profan Veteran

Well, i don't fault carr for putting faith and family first. This can still be done in addition to putting in the necessary hours of work and overtime. I think it's time for you to find a new team to support and if you go against the texans because the qb is committed to his faith and family, then, it's good to see you leaving the texans fan base.

7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

This has nothing to do with Carr. My problem is with the statement (same as Porky used, hmmm...) that Carr puts family and faith first. If a person puts his career ahead of his faith or his family, there is something wrong with his priorities IMHO.

8. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

2004 - Sean Taylor is God!
    2005 - Derrick Johnson is God!
    2006 - Reggie . . errr . . Vince Young is God!

I get it already! :ok:

9. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

Marcus, you have to be the biggest VY hater and Carr apologist on any board I've seen.

Please change your avatar before you start making me hate one of my favorite albums of all time. ;)

10. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

It is possible for people to work in a business while putting family and faith infront of their jobs. I've seen it with people on a local level, where I live, and on a national level.

11. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Yea, and Bush couldn't even get on the field when the game was on the line. This happened on more than one occasion. See the ND game when Leinert QB sneaked it 2 playes in a row or a few plays earlier when it was 4th and 9. Where was he then.....well just like you said, out of bounds (a.k.a. on the bench). Don't even get me started on the UT game either, he was the change of pace back where Fatboy was the feature back. Yeah, let's draft Bush, I wouldn't mind going 5-11 on average for the next 3 years until we let carrs' option desintergrate and draft another kid from CA. Lets just move the F@#%$ team to CA while we're at it. We can called the LA Earthquakes cuz watching us lose game after game will cause the fans to want throw the team in one.

12. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Wow, incredible if you believe for a minute that any athlete in the NFL puts football above their family.

13. Fighting Blue Hen

Fighting Blue Hen Rookie

lol:

14. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

I hope ALL people would be that way. Football, or any other sport or profession for that matter, is TRIVIAL compared to GOD and FAMILY.

I know you probably didn't intend for THAT to come out like it sounded. :)

15. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Now you're not a "fan" if you don't have a man-crush on Davie Franchise. Funny stuff.

16. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

I don't think "family and faith" is an issue with Carr. God bless him for having priorities and not being married to the job. The issue is whether or not he puts in the requisite hours to get the job done.

I don't really care whether a guy studies film like Manning or sleeps at the office like Gruden. You can be Bob Stoops and take it easy or be like Ben Roethlisberger and "Drink Like a Champion" and still be great and win championships. Just get it done. So far, Carr really hasn't got the job done, so the question about whether he puts the hours in is legitimate. Carr's been paid a ton of money, and hasn't performed to expectations (regardless of the deficiencies around him). He's about to get a franchise QB bonus that he hasn't earned; being tough and handling failure builds character, but it doesn't make you a winner or good QB. This is the beef. So it doesn't matter whether it's a bowling league, bridge game, or family/religious commitment that's keeping him from allegedly putting in the requisite time. Do your job, earn your money.

The Buck Harvey article is good (if you are a Vince Young fan). So for everybody hating on Vince and McLain and Justice, just know that it's not only Houston and it's writers that want Young in a Texans jersey. It's San Antonio, Austin (obviously), and you better believe Dallas would want him and might still if we pass. Whether it matters to you guys or not, drafting Young would build regional support for the Texans... "We are Texas' team."

17. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Has more to do with the faith and family angle(as has been stated), of course, you are going to twist it anyway to a Carr-lover angle.

18. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

An athlete gets his prioritys RIGHT ans we still bash him.

WTF is up with some of you people?

And for teh skills cahllenge, it's rpobaly the porrest measure of ability will see this offseason. it was a MADE FOR TV event, not a scouting oppurtunity.

19. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

***VY HATER ALERT***

***VY HATER ALERT***

Hulk75, you conveniently leave out:

-VY wasn't the only one who threw out of bounds

-The 2 passes that he threw out of bounds were over 70 yards, not 60, and further than anyone else in or out

-It was extremely windy, yet he still finished 2nd

-He also finished 2nd in the accuracy contest

-He was the only QB to hit any target in the obstacle course, in which he just killed

If you watched that show and couldn't tell that VY was head and shoulders above any other QB there then I feel sorry for you.

20. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

I didn't watch the show. What other QBs were there?