Buchanon signs with Bucs

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by MightyTExan, Oct 17, 2006.

1. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Haven't seen it posted on any major sites though.......

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have signed cornerback Phillip Buchanon to a one-year contract, at a prorated base salary of $585,000.

Buchanon was released by the Texans on Monday. And the Texans actually did him a big favor by making the move when they did.

If the Texans had waited until Wednesday, Buchanon would have been required to pass through waivers. As it stands, Buchanon became a free agent.

Under NFL rules, players with less than four credited seasons always pass through waivers whenever they are cut, with the worst team to the best team getting a shot to claim him. Prior to the trading deadline, vested veterans instantly become free agents. After the trading deadline, however, all players regardless of tenure must go through waivers.

In Buchanon's case, someone like the Packers might have taken a chance on him. His full base salary was only $800,000, and with six weeks in the books the balance would have been only $517,650.

So Buchanon instead will earn $378,529 from the Bucs along with the balance of his $800,000 salary from the Texans, since he is now entitled (as a vested veteran) to receive termination pay.

The end result? His total 2006 income increased in one day by more than $375,000, assuming he finishes the season with Tampa.

It's baffling, in our view, that the Texans wouldn't have waited until Wednesday to cut him loose, in the hopes that someone would pick up his contract -- and allow the Texans to get off the hook for more than $500,000 in unpaid wages.

We're also told that the Texans tried to trade Buchanon before cutting him, but found no takers.

Buchanon was a first-round draft choice in 2002 out of the "M", and he was traded to Houston in 2005 for a second-round and third-round draft pick in 2006. Bucs G.M. Bruce Allen was in that same role with the Raiders when Buchanon was drafted.

2. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

mark jones, the bucs punt-returnman, has been hurt. so here's his replacement.

3. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

Its good to be a billionaire....makes me wonder how he got there though.

4. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I am stunned. Would like to see another source, but does fit the profile.

5. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

it's also on ESPN and fox sports, etc.

6. Khari

Khari Administrator Staff Member

7. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

His billion dollar investment is about to some big hits in the coming years if things do get going soon...

Maybe he won't be a billionare for long.

8. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I'm stunned too. It's times like this that I think there have to be things we don't understand about contracts, free agency, waivers, etc. It seems so simple to do it right that there must be other factors. Right? RIGHT?

So - is anyone going to blame this financial move on Casserly?

9. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

10. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

All he has to do is play the flats in Tampa 2, he will do well at that, as soon as he plays man, you can count on a TD, he gets way lost when the ball is in the air longer then 2 seconds.

Too bad to he has got a lot of talent. Cant get his mind right though.

11. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I liked Buchanon better than either Sanders or McCleon. I know he was always branded a questionable work ethic (which his play did seem to reinforce) but I'm not quite sure how he's any worse than McCleon, and he's still a pretty good PR.

This isn't nearly as baffling as the Morency trade, and it wasn't our current regime that traded what the previous did for Buchanon, but I'm not quite sure I like this.

12. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Looks like we have a game plan for when we play Tampa next year though...give it to AJ and watch P-Burnt try to tackle him.

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i doubt buchanon sees the field much at DB. he doesn't really fit the system well.

14. real

real Guest

Exactly....In the Tamp 2 you have to have physical corners....I think he was brought in strictly as a return guy....JMO...

15. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Pretty much what the tampa folks said. Mostly punts and maybe nickle/dime play.

16. Texans>Colts

Texans>Colts Veteran

Well, Mark Jones isn't a good PR at all. But, the Bucs didn't sign Buchanon for that. They need him for sunday aginst Philly. They have 3 corners out for the game (kelly, bolden, and cox) And he fits the defense well. He is physical

17. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHH!!! wow, you just made my day!

18. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

you do realize that buchanon has been called a "card-carrying coward" for his refusal to tackle or hit players, right? there is no one less physical than buchanon.

19. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Chad Stanly is considered to be a big hitter compared to Buchanon and he is the punter. Twice our head cheerleader decked PBurnt just for giggles and he cried and went into the fetal position.

texasguy346 likes this.
  20. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

OLE!!!

[​IMG]