Buchanan Changes Texans Draft

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by canadiantexan, Apr 19, 2005.

1. canadiantexan

canadiantexan Veteran

The addition of Phillip Buchanan will without question change the 2005 draft of the Houston Texans and their loyal mock fans. For many people thinking of or hoping for a first day conerback to one day replace Glenn this move changes their draft plans completly. Do the Texans trade up to aquire one last piece of the puzzle ?,do they trade down ,? do they take the best player available that slips to them at #13 ?, do they go offence ?, do they go defence ? With the new development and all the new choices available to us in the draft what do you the loyal Houston Texans fans think we should do in the new addition of the Texans 2005 NFL draft ?

2. YodAa

YodAa All Pro

I say we go after Troy Williamson, especially now since some people are saying he could actually be better than BMW!

3. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

The Texans can't trade up now unless they acquired Buchanan as bait to trade up.

Giving up two draft picks for Buchanan means the Texans will be much more likely to trade down to pick up an extra pick or two.

4. Trapped

Trapped Veteran

which makes perfect sense,

trade down, draft Mark Clayton, pick up a 3rd rounder.

5. canadiantexan

canadiantexan Veteran

Do they trade down was supposed to be one of the questions. Ill go edit that thanks.

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Got that right - Clayton is better any way - not just a track guy but
    a real football player. I was hoping that they took him at 13 anyway.

7. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i totally agree...if benson doesn't fall to the 13th pick then trade down and pick up mark clayton who is the most polished reciever in the draft...and then pick up a third round pick to replace one of the picks we lost in the trade for philip to get a lineman on one side of the ball...overall i love this trade...i love the idea of us trading down for clayton...man the draft couldn't be a longer away

8. TexasAggie

TexasAggie Rookie

Who do they pick if they don't trade? Not that there is not a player worthy of the 13th pick just does not fit the Texans needs at that point. JMO

I never thought that the Texans would pick a RB but these moves sure make you scratch your head, as to what they are thinking. :banana: :bguitar:

9. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Didn't CC say that they were not staying at #13? If so, this trade confirms it.

10. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

With PB in the house, we certainly don't need a CB. If Benson falls we take him; if he's gone and Ware is there-we take him; if neither is there we try and trade down and p/u another pick. This assumes Meriman and DJ are both gone. A wild card for us in a trade down could be Heath Miller, Mark Clayton or David Baas.

In the third we take BPA at OL/DL/WR

11. Daonly

Daonly Veteran

Would you trade The #13 overall to the Jets for the 26th pick and Abraham then maybe and extra pick or swap picks?? Draft Matt Jones there or another WR?

12. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't take Miller since we already have a TE that is injury prone and we shouldn't waste a first on another...I think the most logical approach we take for the first round is look for Benson, DJ, Merriman, Ware, and Williamson to fall to 13...If neither of them are there, we look for a trade down and look for Barron, Barnes, Pollack, Mark Clayton, or *gasp* Dan Cody...The wild card for the 13th pick would be Thomas Davis, who would make a good ILB here...

13. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

I would make that deal in a heartbeat...Abraham would be a dominant OLB in our defense, but I don't think the Jets would do it, since that would be an incredible steal for us...At 26, I'd look Matt Jones, Sherrod White, Pollack, Dan Cody, Khalif Barnes, or Kevin Burnett...

14. Daonly

Daonly Veteran

Jets need a corner bad in the worst way!! Rogers or Pac man will surely be there for their picking.

15. YodAa

YodAa All Pro

How bout Matt Jones? He's big but fast! Only .01 slower than Troy Williamson:shocked

16. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

True, but they could just stay at 26 and take Justin Miller or Marlin Jackson, who are just a small notch below Carlos Rogers and Pac-Man...I would be completely stoked if we got Abraham though...

17. wags

wags Hall of Fame

Just how would we afford that?

18. Trapped

Trapped Veteran

I think we draft Troy Williamson.

So what tandem is better South Carolina's Dunta Robinson and Troy Williamson or Miami's Andre Johnson and Philip Buchanon.

19. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Severe back-loading of a new contract idonno:

Whatever CC has to do to get it done...

20. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Moving down makes sense. But I believe beerlover's gonna get his wish. I think they got Ware/Thomas targeted. DJ's down side all along was point of attack. We didn't move on the Denver pick. They're going to put the nastiest d on the feild they can in '05. The "Heads will roll" comment by McClain the other day had me thinking something was going to come down. They can't fix the O-line with one draft. They're going to fix the d, et al, the pass rush. JMHO.
    Makes sense to me.