Browns studying Carr?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

Browns | Team eyeing quarterbacks
    Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:28:55 -0700

Steve Doerschuk, of the Canton Repository, reporting for the Sporting News, reports the Cleveland Browns have been monitoring what it would take to pry restricted free-agent QB Matt Schaub (Falcons) away from the Atlanta Falcons in a draft-related trade. They also have been studying Houston Texans QB David Carr.

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

No!! If they watch any game tape they'll lose the "Its his OL" mentality and there goes any hope of that trade going down...

3. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

well... let's see.

We have been scheduled to play the Browns 4 out of the past 5 seasons. You would think they would have enough study time in already.

4. Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan Rookie

Both of our #8's (Carr and pick) for their 3rd pick sounds great! Andre meet Calvin or Ahman meet Adrain....sound great! Hopefully Sage can handle the snaps until the 3rd round selection this year can take over (hopefully Stanton).

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

I think we can arrange this: Browns swap spots with us AND they get Carr. There might need to be some extra sweetening of the pot since we're not really trading an entire draft round but only trading a few spots--Cleveland may need to give us a sixth or something, for example.

This gets Cleveland a QB, bumps them down a few spots where they are still going to pick up someone pretty good. They give us a sixth or seventh, instead of the 3rd or 4th that people have been speculating it would take for DC. Could we also get Cleveland to assume his salary completely so that it frees up our cap? How does that work? That would be an added bonus.

And we get Adrian Peterson AND one more poker chip late in the draft to see if we can parlay it into a good Rick Smith/Gary Kubiak pick-up.

That's how you deal a QB that nobody's been biting on, and that's how you guarantee you get the franchise RB so that nobody else gets him. Who knows, we might get offers to trade BACK DOWN if a team wants CJ, etc., and needs gurantees to get him...and we can still get Adrian.

Or I'm just dreaming. Oh well, it was fun playing GM for a second...

6. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

To go from 8 to 3, you need approximately 800 draft value points which is equivilient to the number #23 overall pick. Our 3rd rounder is only worth 230 points for comparison sake.

Here's the chart and with the exception of top 5 trades, in which people trading up normally -overpay-, trades almost always fall within 5% of the expected values.

So, unless you think Carr is worth a first round pick, and if you did you wouldn't be trading him, it's going to take a 2 and a 3 to move up.

SeƱor Stan likes this.
  7. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Why would the Browns give us the 3rd pick and another draft pick for Carr and the 8th?

8. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

They wouldn't, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Carr and our first rounder plus a mid round pick (5th or 4th) next year for a shot at Peterson, Johnson or Joe Thomas.

9. real

real Guest

Some of you are delusional to think that all it'd take to move up is Carr and a swap of picks...

Unless Casserly is their GM, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that won't be enough...

10. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

the thing that not everyone is seeing is that if we do this trade up to the 3rd overall pick the chances are that it will be for quinn not anyone else since it looks like kubiak has really liked what he's seen from quinn's pro day...but there is another report out there that says the staff is just awwed at calvin johnson...that said if we did the trade and selected calvin to match with aj...who would be able to cover our WR's?

11. real

real Guest

If we trade into the Top three, Brady Quinn is no longer an option. I highly doubt they'd trade up to the third overall for him.

It'd either be Thomas, Johnson or Peterson.

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

It would take a lot more than a broken Carr to swap up from # 8 to #3.

If they are studying Carr, we have no hope. Can we substitute film of John Elway in his prime in there. Sort of like a Photoshop deal or something?

13. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

"Delusional" is a very kind word to use in this instance.

14. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

well yeah it would...i remember hearing it would be something like the 8th overall, carr, and probably our 2nd rounder

15. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Well maybe David Carr will be playing with Adrian Peterson after all....just in another city.

Again, our FO isn't going to move up in the draft. They will either select at 8 or trade down and pick up more picks. So Carr would be a trade for maybe their 4th rounder mayber or another player.

16. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

If the Texans covet Quinn, this could play right into assuring he falls to them. Trade Carr for some kind of conditional pick, the Browns then take Peterson, and Quinn falls right into their laps. :spy:

17. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

The glee I feel over such a scenario is evidence enough for me that such a deal is completely lopsided.

18. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

If Cleveland is actually interested in Carr, they would likely want to acquire him so they are able to draft Peterson.
    They know they should be able to get Carr for a late first day pick, and still keep their #3.
    If I was a Brown's fan, and unhappy with Frye, I wouldn't be totally P.O.'d if my front office went this route.
    Cleveland isn't the ideal team for DC to go to if he has any chance to live up to (prior) expectations, but he still may be capable of having success there with AD, Braylon Edwards and Winslow contributing.
    In this scenario, Cleveland would still have the 2nd round and either 3rd or 4th round to bolster their OL if they choose.
    Actually, as I type this, it is starting to seem like a decent strategy for them, IMO...

19. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

A very good point, and one that fits nicely with my previous post.

20. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

Probably the LB's because we still wouldn't be able to get them downfield with enough time for the QB to throw and/or see the WRs.