Browns hire Rob Chudzinski as HC, eye Norv Turner for OC

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Playoffs, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Browns hire Rob Chudzinski as HC, eye Norv Turner for OC

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Browns have hired former Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as their 14th fulltime head coach, a source told The Plain Dealer tonight.

He's also the sixth fulltime head coach since the Browns returned in 1999.

Chudzinski, 44, who was coordinator of the Carolina Panthers, interviewed with the Browns Wednesday in Cleveland. He's expected to bring former San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner as coordinator, a source said. The two are close.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I like it.

How long do you think they should be given?

3. Playoffs

I think the new owner is wise enough to give them some time.

4. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Seems like a good hire to me. He has been the OC for the Panthers since Cam Newton got there and helped develop him. Rumor right now is that Norv Turner will become the OC and John Pagano will become the DC. Both are from the current Chargers organization.

I think the biggest question is who will be the QB. Is Brandon Weeden the guy to be running a vertical offense? He certainly has the arm strength, but is there someone else in the draft that might be better suited? (Bray, Wilson, Nassib?) Could they trade for Phillip Rivers? Who knows, but I do hope they bring in some competition, because Colt McCoy and Thad aren't going to be the future of that franchise.

The Browns have a ton of money to spend in free agency next year, 40+ million last I heard, and I think they will be able to pick up some good players. It will be interesting to watch.

Some more stuff on Chud if anyone is interested. He is a lifelong Browns fan and Ohio native, so it's his dream job. I really hope he works out.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/football/lions/Cleveland+Browns+hand+coaching+reins+Ohioan/7807923/story.html

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If they draft a QB next season, it better be a home run pick. I don't know there is such a guy coming up.

I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in competition, Jason Campbell, Kevin Kolb maybe... if Jacksonville gets rid of Henne maybe. Trade for Tj Yates... eh??

Other than that, they've got a whole teams worth of problems they can address until there is a QB available.

6. Dutchrudder

Eh, I don't like any of those guys you named. I think this coach will know he has more time than the last and be able to spend time developing a QB from the draft. Picking a young guy with a big arm in the mid to late 1st after a trade back would be ideal. Only 6 picks in the draft, so they will need to get some more. I do kind of wonder if there will be a player that entices a good team to pull another Julio Jones type of deal. The new organization desperately needs more picks to build depth and develop new players. The team is also very young and could use some veteran talent around to help them develop. Lots of options, and lots of money to spend, so I'm hopeful they can make something good happen in a couple years.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Again, not everyone is Aaron Rogers, just because you draft a guy & "develop" him doesn't mean he's a franchise player. If they do pick that guy, they have to "feel" he could be, that's all I'm saying.

Even though it's a new organization, the last one gambled too many times on QBs they drafted & they are no better for it.

8. Dutchrudder

What? Where did I say I want Aaron Rodgers? I don't like the few guys you named because we already know enough about them to know they will not be franchise QBs any time soon. Drafting a prospect at least gives the chance of developing a guy into a franchise QB, which is better than the zero chance you get with Campbell, Kolb or Yates. Bray, Wilson, Nassib, whoever in the draft could fit the new system, and they can pick whoever they think is the best. They have an early enough pick to do so, but I would like them to trade back a bit and at least pick up a 2nd round pick or more. QB obviously isn't the only need, but it's the most difficult to fill.

I'd say the other team needs in no particular order are QB, pass rushing DE x2 (assuming they stay in a 4-3, otherwise this becomes OLB in 3-4), OLB regardless of scheme, LG, TE, S, #2 CB, 3rd down RB, and depth everywhere, especially at LB. You can't fill all these needs with 6 draft picks, but 40 million bucks in free agency could help a lot. It will be interesting to see what they do, because they will be forced to spend a lot of money in free agency.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm just using Rogers because he's the guy most people use when suggesting to draft a guy & let him sit, or develop.

Zero chance with the guys I mentioned, I know. But Clevelands drafted a QB how many times in the last 5 years & it's not working for them. All I'm saying is if they draft a QB, it can't be another Quin, McCoy, or Weeden in hopes that they can do with this new guy what they couldn't do with those guys.

10. Dutchrudder

Yeah, well you can't limit the new GM/HC's decisions based on previous ones that they had nothing to do with them. They need to be able to evaluate the talent in FA and the draft and do what they think is best. A great QB can completely transform a team and attract new talent to the organization, so I would love to see them get young stud QB in the draft.

They have to address the QB position this year, because Weeden's days are numbered in Cleveland. He's simply not mobile enough to run Chud's type of offense, unless of course he wants to pull out all of the QB draws and run fakes that he had Cam running. His run-game is somewhat dependent on having a dual-threat QB, and Weeden isn't that kind of guy at all, he's less mobile than Schaub. They need a guy like Colin Kaepernick, RG3 or Cam Newton, which is even more saddening that the Browns didn't get RG3 last year because he's perfect for this offense.

On the bright side, they do have several good pieces to run this offense, starting with a great LT and C for pass protection and run blocking, and then some speedy WRs to stretch the D, and TRich who's clearly an awesome RB and will do well in this offense. An upgrade at LG, TE and RB#2 would go a long ways to make any QB in this system successful. So there's hope! :D

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Do you see that young stud in this draft?

I don't know, I don't watch college football. I'm not saying anything different than you. If there's a Dalton, Wilson, Cutler, or someone who can reasonably be expected to be that guy they should do it.

All I'm saying is instead of taking a chance on a Weeden, McCoy, Quin, or Frye, they would be better off if they passed.

12. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Eh, don't know that I like this hire. The Browns have a losing franchise and I would have preferred a big name to change the organizations mentality. Of course, if the name is big enough, why would he want to work for the Browns? Good luck Chud, you'll need it.

13. Dutchrudder

I think The guys I listed have the potential to be the guy. For the Texans I want Tyler Wilson most. For the Browns I think Geno Smith is the best fit. If the Browns can trade down to the teens and get some picks, I will be happy. Too many needs around the team to be so concerned with QB this year. Tank 2013 and get one of the better QBs there if we can't get Geno. Perfectly fine with me given the past dozen years. Even if they get Geno I would still consider tanking next year to get Clowney or Lee...

14. Dutchrudder

I'm sure some of you will be happy to hear this guy won't be writing about the Texans for a while.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8856520/cleveland-browns-name-mike-lombardi-vice-president-player-personnel

15. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

[​IMG]

Coach C.H.U.D...

16. Playoffs

[​IMG]
    Speaks for itself. :lol:

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

What exactly does a vice president of player personnel do?