Brown vs Staley

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Honoring Earl 34, May 3, 2008.

1. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

2. Honoring Earl 34

OK ... somebody .

If you're picking and Staley and Brown are both there , who do you take ?

3. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I dunno Earl. first you tell me how many Haynesworth shots Matt has left in the tank ?

4. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Whichever one Alex Gibbs says he wants.
    He's the coach, not me.

5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

It'd be a toss-up, but my guess is that Staley would probably be the pick just looking at 40 times.

But who knows what the tape says, because I have seen none on Joe Staley.

6. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Brown. I heard he plays with a more nasty demeanor.

7. Honoring Earl 34

And this means what Pete ?

I think I would take Brown over Staley . I think he has less bust factor because he played in a good conference plus he's a little thicker .

I would most certainally take Brown a 3rd and 6th over the 7th pick in this years draft that they gave the Pats for Staley

8. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's pretty much the way I'm thinking too. The Niners gave up lot for a guy who wasn't going against elite competition. At least with Brown, you know he's had to consistently go against Mario Williams, Phillip Merling, Chris Long, and Calais Campbell.

9. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

i know brown is in a better situation

10. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

And against Chris Ellis in practice plus against Jackson from LSU who is projected as a top 5 player in the 09 draft.

11. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Word. So as you can clearly see, Duane Brown is the superior pick.

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Wait a minute. I thought we drafted Reggie Bush? Who is this Brown? Anyway, I am going back to sleep. Wake me at kick off, please.

13. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I did not know the LT would be blocking a DT who lines up over the RG, but at least you asked a question that has absolutely nothing with the players being spoken of.

Errant Hothy likes this.
  14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Staley was clearly the higher rated (by draft services) prospect coming into the NFL. Yes we've heard all the expert "reach" comments concerning Brown or for the 49ers giving up a #1 pick (08-#7th overall selection) to trade up. from a value standpoint Duane Brown is clearly the winner, I've listened to all these so called experts but rarely if ever do they mention how important the mental make-up is in the process & I'm not talking about wonderlick. its about the mental toughness to challenge yourself to get better while taking the abuse/coaching from Gibbs.

If Gibbs was with the Texans last year would he have enough influence to tell Kubiak/Smith to pass on a potentially great interior linemen for a potentially great Left Tackle? we'll never know, I think it worked out pretty fine assuming Schaub is fully recovered, now its Amobi's turn to :lion:

15. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

And to answer the Haynesworth shots Schaub takes, I think it may be one before they begin to wear his knee out over ad over again.

16. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

saw this and since its the most recent brown thread....

dont shoot the messenger :gun:

17. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

When did he play against Mario? FWIW - he did play against some top talent as listed, but he also struggled in those matchups. Check the numbers. He shut no one down and those guys all got over on him. I think each guy had a sack and some TFL in the matchup. That aint exactly 1st Round grade production. Hopefully the coaching staff can do something with this prospect because he looks to have the physical tools but does he have the skill set, heart, and desire?

sure hope so, because its obvious the Texans had him highly coveted as other teams have also expressed post-draft

18. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Yeah, cause we all know that all sacks given up by any team are solely the fault of the O-line...right?

The dub this the "David Carr Sack theory".

19. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

Some background on these numbers: the Hokie offensive line was in a state of flux early in the season--their starting RT (Ed Wang) was hurt, so they played some players (but not Brown) out of position to cover. The line played terribly until Wang returned and everyone else went back to their regular spots. In particular, Glenn Dorsey ate the interior line alive when LSU mauled the Hokies early on--but he was not the only one: ECU and Ohio (University, not State) gave the Hokie offense fits.

To make matters worse, VT alternated between a human statute (Sean Glennon) and their requisite Michael Vick clone (true frosh Tyrod Taylor) at QB. Glennon settled down and played well as the season went on, but he has about zero pocket presence. As for Taylor, scrambling is about the only thing he could do consistently, and he ran himself into quite a few sacks.

Now, I don't have the numbers on how many sacks were attributable to Brown (I've seen someone post 8.5 here). Chris Long got him twice, but on one of them, Brown was clearly expecting help from his LG but none was coming.

Still, the Hokie OL and overall offense improved dramatically as the year went along. They backslid in the bowl loss to Kansas, but (file this tidbit away "for entertainment purposes") the Hokies are invariably a disappointing bowl team.

We have some work to do with Brown, but the kid as all the tools. If we can squeeze one more year out of Salaam, we may have LT solved for a long, long time.

20. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

He went against Mario while playing RT. If I remember correctly, it was his first game playing Tackle.