Brown poll

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Yankee_In_TX, Apr 27, 2008.

?

If you're unhappy with the Brown pick, would you be ok if it had been in Rd 2?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Well, since everyone seems ok until 6 and 7 (and well, hey, it's rounds 6 and 7)....

For those of you not happy about our #1 pick, I was wondering...

2. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I'm not unhappy with it at all. How about a selection for that.

3. Yankee_In_TX

I'm just curious if the unhappy people are unhappy because they feel Brown was a second rounder, and by taking him in 1 we really wasted our first round pick - should have gotten someone if the first and not picked up Brown at all based on us not having a 2nd round pick.

Or, if they just don't like the pick for our team, period.

I personally think we wanted him, we dropped back to get a few more picks, and then took him when we had to if we wanted him at all. We didn't have a second round pick, so we did what we had to do.

4. adam

adam Guero

I'm pleased with the pick. Those that aren't are likely being irrational and not looking at the big picture.

5. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Ok. Then I will decline to vote because I'm happy with it.

6. Sideline

Sideline Hall of Fame

Completely agree, we had to take him there or risk loosing him, he seems to be a player the front office are very high on, and after watching some videos of this guy play I can see why, I just love him getting up to the second level. One play in particular he threw away his end then ran up the middle and sealed the hole for a huge gain by the back.

I think he brings alot to our team.

7. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

We now have four "Brown's" on our team.

Kris Brown
    Chris Brown
    CC Brown
    Duane Brown

Maybe DB will open up a hole or two for CB. A least only two of them will be on the field at the same time!:fans: I think it might be safe to buy a BROWN jersey!!:)

8. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

I am not jumping for joy happy with the pick but I am content with it. I have seen some mocks that had him going in the first round and there was an article in the paper the day of the draft saying that McClain had polled 6 FO people and asked them to come up with the top O-lineman for the Texans system and he was one of the 4 mentioned.

So I guess I can't vote either.

9. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

But if you're happy with the Brown pick, wouldn't you still be ok if it had been in Rd 2?

10. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Can you guarantee that he'd be there ?

I assume your talking about trading back cause we did'nt have a 2nd round pick ... which means you have to have someone to trade with .

11. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i don't know how you could be unhappy with it after hearing Kubiak talk about how happy Gibbs was with it. He's exactly the guy they wanted. The end.

Not to mention hearing him say that in all the years he's worked with Alex Gibbs he's never seen him this enthusiastic about his job. I"m loving the way this is panning out!

12. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

me too.

13. Yankee_In_TX

Hmm, 12 votes so far, 3 people don't want Brown, 9 people would have rather we took him in the second round.

I'd be interested to hear from the 9, did you want us to trade into the second, or just not get Brown because we didn't have a second pick?

14. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Maybe they figured would pass until the second round and the run our card up there.

15. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

ditto...I like the pick. With the run on OT's, I think we had to take him right when we did if we wanted him. Before the draft, I wanted to wait until the 3rd round to pick one. I changed my mind when I saw how fast they were flying off the board. I don't think we could have taken the chance that an OT that fit our system was going to be around when we picked in the 3rd.

With that said, I decline to vote.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Yankee, I wasn't happy with our first pick at all. How does this pick make the Texans better going into this coming season. I want first rounders that will see the field... Isn't this guy similar to Brandon Frye anyway?

Overall, the draft was fine.... and, I am willing to give the Brown pick, the benefit of the doubt - since Alex Gibbs apparently weighed in on the decision. However, there were still a couple of defensive players on the board that I would have rather had...

17. nflnutswife

nflnutswife Hall of Fame

I'm pleased as well, I was pretty excited to hear number one, we wanted him, and number two, heard him called the "sleeper" in the draft so I'm anxious to see what he'll do!

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I can deal with the pick. If you watch the draft wrap up press conference with Kubiak and Smith, it's quite obvious they were eyeing Brown the entire round. Smith was actually ribbing Kubiak for being so nervous after the trade. Smith said they received a call concerning the #26 from the Seahawks with around 1 min left and Kubiak screamed "don't answer it, make the pick". Apparently Kubiak was pacing around the entire wait too.

To me, that says they really wanted Brown. I mean, who would make up a story like that?

It's also comforting hearing our GM and HC actually have some fun and can rib on each other. I thought that was pretty cool. :cool:

19. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time.

When we traded back, I was about 90% sure that we were gonna take Antoine Cason (who was my favorite prospect in the draft).

But after hearing that we had been targeting Brown the whole time, & that Kubiak wouldn't even trade back two spots cuz he didn't want someone else to get Brown....I find myself on board with the pick.

If they really were targeting this kid the whole time, then they did a hell of a job by at least trading back to add more picks, plus still getting their man.

20. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

I'm one of the 9 (well, now 11). The only thing I don't like about the Brown pick is that it wasn't a good value at the point. I wanted us to pick an LT more than anything else, I think Brown was the best LT option we had available, and I think he will be a good fit for our system. I'm looking forward to seeing him play and I hope he becomes a dominant LT for the next decade. I'm not really upset about the pick, I'm just not happy/excited about it.

I would have wanted us to trade down, since I think he would have still been available later. My understanding is that we turned down an offer to move down just two slots, and I find it hard to believe he would have been gone in that time. The pick felt more like it was mainly a move of desperation/fear, forced because of the run on OTs.

We can have an argument all day about whether or not he was going to be available had we moved down. But, none of us actually knows, and the only ones who would know (the teams picking later) aren't going to say. In the end, though, we grabbed a player that most (including the player himself!) considered a 2nd-round talent in the 1st round. In terms of "value", I don't think we got the full value of our pick (both from the trade-down and from pick 26).

Maybe obviously, I lean toward the "BPA at a position of need" approach over locking on to one position/player. At 18, I think that would have been Mendenhall (not that I really wanted a RB) or Jenkins, and at 26 I think it would have been Cason or one of the other CBs. Some of the DEs might also fit. Or, best yet would have been to trade down a bit more, get more for our pick, and still end up with Brown.

In the end, maybe the team is not yet at a point where it's good enough to follow a BPA approach - hopefully in a year or two the team will have fewer gaping holes, and we can go to a more value-based draft strategy. This draft seemed like we went down our list of needs in order, with only one (Adibi) representing what I would call really good value (still at a position of need). Molden, Slaton, and Okam were all fine, just not "super-value".