Brown and Frye re-signed

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Errant Hothy, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

2. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

So much for that second round tender.

Did he even interview with another team?

3. Polo

Polo Guest

Alright CC....you da man!!!

4. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

5. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

That's about the only excitement we get from "C.C." I scratch my head and remind myself that I am pretty damn football illiterate, because I DO NOT understand this signing. Better be for the minimum, as you guys are always saying about someone you don't care to much for.

6. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Frye signed a one yr rookie deal?

As far as CC Brown, I have no idea why they resigned him for much above the min. If he isn't the worst starting safety in the league, it doesn't take long to call role.

7. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I think they cut Frye, and then resigned him to a one year deal during TC.

CC Brown is the second best safety on the team. I don't see why you wouldn't resign him. He is only 25 years old with only 3 years in the league (more than 75 tackles per year). Most of his problems have been about positioning, and I wouldn't be suprised if he gets alot of that corrected pretty soon and becomes a much better football player. I thought he covered better this last year than ever before.

The thing that CC Brown has that the majority of his backups don't have is that he has 44 games of starting experience in the NFL.

I really do think that CC Brown could have a breakout year if he can fix alot of his positioning problems.

8. Polo

Polo Guest

I'm with you...

CC is not a bad ball player.

9. andre'

andre' Bandwagoner

cc is solid

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Good info as I'd posted this question on other threads on Frye.

11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Brown is average, not as awful as you guys are painting him. Considering the Texans did not have a better alternative w/o having to sign a FA(otherwords spend the same or even more money) to fill the spot it was the proper move. In terms of worth, glenn Earl's 1 year contract is near the same amount as Brown's 1 year tender. The Texans tendered Brown at that amount because the Texans wanted him to play here, apparently CC Brown drew no interest in the market as 2nd rounder, which I think he would have for a 6th rounder.

12. TexansSeminole

Some guys come in with excellent football IQ, but they just don't have the athletic ability.

Some guys come in with alot of ability, but they haven't quite mastered the craft of their position yet. I think CC is one of those players. He came in at 22, as a 5th or 6th round pick and ended up becoming a starter in his first year in a tough division. He's been a starter ever since. I think it is just a matter of time before some of these things just start clicking for him.

Something I noticed last year was that we used him alot around the line of scrimmage. That's not something that we had done with him as often in the past. It looked like it helped him.

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

We are weak at safety, if cc is the worst starter in the league, he is at least a top backup. We need depth desperately

14. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

People bash on Brown because of his seeming inability to grasp a feel for the position. He has good enough physical abilities in most areas, but he simply refuses to progress at anything close to the rate his new contract will pay him. His poor angles have not improved much, and his field speed is still below average for a NFL starting safety. He has plenty of starting experience yes, but he just hasn't gotten much better since his first game. He is still burned by double moves and doesn't understand his role in terms of over-the-top help. He has never been the safety to scare WR's and TE's from coming across the middle of the field. His big hits are usually along the sidelines or as the defender is still in the air but on his way down with the completion. His ball skills do not warrant this new contract. I'm pretty upset with the Texans FO for this move.

15. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

You don't pay backup safeties 2nd round tender money.

This seems to mostly be a case of Rick Smith overvaluing Brown. Since Brown received ZERO interest from another team, ZERO INTEREST, the Texans were forced to sign him to the tender offer they extended to him initially. This essentially just backfired in our FO's face IMO.

16. Polo

Polo Guest

Maybe he recieved zero interest because the Texans wanted it that way....

I think Eric Weddle is a pretty good young safety but I'm not giving a second for him...

17. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Would you equate CC Brown in our secondary to Greenwood with our Linebackers? Not spectacular by any means but a solid football player for our team nonetheless, and possibly overpaid?

18. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I see that. With as weak as the secondary is already, I think the Texans new they wanted to resign Brown. If we didn't we'd have that much of a bigger hole we'd have to deal with AND sign some more depth on top of it. But if someone was really willing to give us a 2nd rd pick for him... i think they'd gladly take it (esp. this year). I don't think they were sitting around hoping someone would deal for him but just did that so they could work on other deals/signings and still not worry about CC getting snatched up.

TexansSeminole likes this.
  19. TexansSeminole

Nobody is going to give a 2nd rounder for CC Brown. The fact that no team showed interest in him for a 2nd rounder means nothing to me. That much should be obvious.

I don't see who you guys want to start in front of him. Earl is the only guy and he has been injured over the last year. Harrison has no experience, essentially a rookie, and Ferguson is just a backup.

This pickup seemed like a lock in my mind, unless some team wanted to get crazy and give us a 2nd rounder.

This is my thinking 100%.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

The 2nd round tender is a one year $1.4 mil deal.

There are plenty of backup safeties making $1.4 mil and that is cheap for a starter. This did not blow up in the Texans' face. You only have four options for tenders on a RFA. A low tender would have been $930k which is not much savings from the 2nd round tender level and obviously a 6th isn't worth anything close to a 6th round pick. If CC had been a 3rd round pick to begin with they probably could have gotten away with a low tender but that wasn't the situation.