Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brooks to move to ILB

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Sound to me as if Reed is moving inside after all.

"It does provide us with options to possibly move Brooks Reed inside,” Herring said. “Brooks Reed has played inside for us at times. We feel very comfortable with that move, if that is an option, to get our best 11 on the field.”

“That’s something I don’t want to get nailed down to, but right now I would feel extremely – and I know Wade feels the same way – extremely comfortable with moving Brooks Reed inside,” Herring said. “I’ve got highlight tape of him playing inside last year, and without hurting anybody’s feelings, he might be the second-best IL on campus right now.

“He’s got an IL body, he’s got instincts. He plays with his hair on fire. He can shock block. They tried to run lead plays on him, he sheds the guy in the hole and makes plays just like a great linebacker should. Unlimited possibilities there. I know he’s embraced the idea early on after the season. We discussed possible moves in the offseason that might predicate him having to be moved inside. He was excited about the move. He’s done it. He’s seen himself have success.”
Now I did hear Smith & Kubiak crawfishing on Reed moving inside on a podcast. My feeling is that they trying to be hush-hush to protect a future move to obtain a vet OLB. I can't see them going into 2013 with strictly a kiddie corps of OLBs consisting of Mercilus, Braman, Montgomery, and Williams.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So what's Reed gonna do in nickels, sit on the bench ? Or maybe he joins the OLB/DE rotation in nickel/passing situations when Wade goes with just a single ILB (Cushing) ?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
So what's Reed gonna do in nickels, sit on the bench ? Or maybe he joins the OLB/DE rotation in nickel/passing situations when Wade goes with just a single ILB (Cushing) ?
I think that's exactly what happens. Reed and Mercilus outside and Watt on the inside. However, I just watched some of this bowl game with Chris Jones of Bowling Green, and this guy can penetrate. It wouldn't shock me if he found his way on the field on passing downs.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think that's exactly what happens. Reed and Mercilus outside and Watt on the inside. However, I just watched some of this bowl game with Chris Jones of Bowling Green, and this guy can penetrate. It wouldn't shock me if he found his way on the field on passing downs.
Glad to hear that Jones looked good, he's an intriguing prospect. Get a chance to eyeball Quess in that same bowl game ?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Glad to hear that Jones looked good, he's an intriguing prospect. Get a chance to eyeball Quess in that same bowl game ?
Yes, San Jose mainly passed, so I didn't see a lot of run blocking. From what I did see, they ran a zone blocking system. Jones moved around and matched up with Quessenberry some. Jones got by him on some penetrations. The guy is just slippery. Maybe he greases his jersey, I don't know. But, he's hard to block.

LikeMike

Veteran
I don't know about that. At ILB we have Cushing, Sharpton and Dobbins - all at least capable when healthy, and Cuhsing will be in on all Nickel situations.

At OLb we have Mercilus, Brahman and two rookies (3d and 4th round). So a second year player, a ST player and two middle round rookies. Right now I'd say our ILB rotation looks stronger than our OLB rotation. I am pretty sure, that Reed will start the season at OLB. Only if one of our rookies step up big time will he move inside (or if we have injuries).

Rey

I think reed stays at Olb. And I think he and merci will get first dibs at the pass rush on third and long, but I think some of the guys we just got will take some snaps away from them.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think reed stays at Olb. And I think he and merci will get first dibs at the pass rush on third and long, but I think some of the guys we just got will take some snaps away from them.
I just saw Smith and Kubiak on TV and they all but put to bed the notion that Reed will move inside.

Its an option but not likely at this point.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I just saw Smith and Kubiak on TV and they all but put to bed the notion that Reed will move inside.

Its an option but not likely at this point.
I don't know that Smith or Kubiak really have much of a say in the matter. They're buying the groceries but it's up to Wade (and Herring) to cook the dinner.

I'm not saying that Brooks is definitely going to move to ILB but I don't take what Smith and Kubiak said as absolute proof that he isn't.

SAMURAITEXAN

All Pro
I don't know that Smith or Kubiak really have much of a say in the matter. They're buying the groceries but it's up to Wade (and Herring) to cook the dinner.

I'm not saying that Brooks is definitely going to move to ILB but I don't take what Smith and Kubiak said as absolute proof that he isn't.
I think you are right. It is Wade's call. Wade's decides how dinner should tastes like and Herring cooks in accordance with Wade's recipe.

Rey

I haven't seen anything from wade that says reed is going to ILB. And herring didn't even say that he was. What herring said was that he feels comfortable with Reed at ilb. Herring even says "it's not something I want to get nailed down to".

The latest info we have on the situation is kubiak and smith basically saying absolutely not. At least at this point in time they are saying they have no plans on moving him inside. Now, we can say wade has the final say and that may be true, but I'd find it hard to believe that the head coach and gm would be saying that reed is the starting olb if wade is saying Reed is the new ILB.

And kicking Brooks reed outside on passing downs if he were to go to ilb doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

Texans took OLB's/edge players for a reason. Our pass rush outside of Watt and sometimes Smith was pathetic. Especially from the edges. I dont think they are going to wait all year to see if the two starters can find their mojo. They really can't afford to do that with the teams we'll be playing. I think they are going to rotate these guys until they find who's going to consistently put pressure on the qb from the edge.

Blake

MMQB
Personally I want to keep Reed at OLB. Barwin is gone, Merc is still learning, Braman could get some snaps, and Sam and Trevardo are rookies.

drs23

Veteran
I haven't seen anything from wade that says reed is going to ILB. And herring didn't even say that he was. What herring said was that he feels comfortable with Reed at ilb. Herring even says "it's not something I want to get nailed down to".

That's exactly what he said and seemed pretty confident about it.

The latest info we have on the situation is kubiak and smith basically saying absolutely not. At least at this point in time they are saying they have no plans on moving him inside. Now, we can say wade has the final say and that may be true, but I'd find it hard to believe that the head coach and gm would be saying that reed is the starting olb if wade is saying Reed is the new ILB.

And kicking Brooks reed outside on passing downs if he were to go to ilb doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

Texans took OLB's/edge players for a reason. Our pass rush outside of Watt and sometimes Smith was pathetic. Especially from the edges. I dont think they are going to wait all year to see if the two starters can find their mojo. They really can't afford to do that with the teams we'll be playing. I think they are going to rotate these guys until they find who's going to consistently put pressure on the qb from the edge.
Exactly. You could almost see the table move from Harris' boner when talking about Trevardo Williams' speed saying he's a little raw but has something that can't be taught:SPEED! He's that quick.

I can't wait till camp starts!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Good points. Though I've mentioned Brooks rotating down on passing downs, you're right, it doesn't make sense.

But what you said here, about our pass rush, I agree 110%, Brooks was part of that. If we're not going to wait all season for our starting OLBs to find their mojo, then we're not going to wait two. Brooks (and Barwin) were fine against the run. Brooks was decent in pass coverage. Brooks wasn't worth a crap, imho, as a pass rusher.

He's a fine athlete & a second round pick, I think we need to put him somewhere he can be successful. He is not the pass rusher we need. Let's put him inside & see if he can make hay.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Rey

Good points. Though I've mentioned Brooks rotating down on passing downs, you're right, it doesn't make sense.

But what you said here, about our pass rush, I agree 110%, Brooks was part of that. If we're not going to wait all season for our starting OLBs to find their mojo, then we're not going to wait two. Brooks (and Barwin) were fine against the run. Brooks was decent in pass coverage. Brooks wasn't worth a crap, imho, as a pass rusher.

He's a fine athlete & a second round pick, I think we need to put him somewhere he can be successful. He is not the pass rusher we need. Let's put him inside & see if he can make hay.

That's the way I see it anyway.

I've actually warmed up to the idea of Brooks being an inside LB if it means getting someone that can rush the qb better out there on the edge. I actually dont mind reed at solb either because the other LB is the one that will get the most pass rush opportunities.

Herring himself said the two roles are different...which is something I think we mostly knew...

Personally I think they're still deciding what they want to do and will likely use campband pre season as part of that decision making process. I just want the best guys on the field doing what they do best.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
The whole passrush thing was why I thought bouncing Reed inside made so much sense.

They're going to try Montgomery out at the SAM because they think he's got the size and strength to take on the TEs. And they're going to put Trevardo at the Will so he can just speed rush off the edge to his little heart's content.

If Reed doesn't kick inside, then both of these guys are back-ups who will come in as part of the rotation. And that's fine. Effectively, you've got Montgomery backing up Reed and Williams backing up Mercilus. So All the guys will probably be fresher. So I'm fine if that's how we're going to do it.

But if Montgomery steps up and can handle the Sam role, then you can kick Reed inside and you basically just drafted 2 starters with 1 pick. Assuming, of course, that Reed CAN kick inside.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It makes sense if they are still on the lookout for LBs on the market, post June 1st cuts. They don't want to tip their hand. If a suitable ILB becomes available, Reed probably does stay inside. If an OLB is out there, Reed could move inside. I think that's what they were referring to with options. But, something has to be done at ILB.

Cushing -coming off ACL surgery
Dobbins - career backup who ended 2012 on IR
Sharpton - ended 2 of his 3 seasons on IR
Cameron Collins - practice squader
Mike Mohamed - street free agent
Assorted UDFAs

That's it. That's not a LB corps ready to enter the 2013 season. Not for a contender. As far as I'm concerned, the Texans tipped their hand by not selecting an ILB (I thought they needed 2) in the draft. So Smith and Kubiak can be coy all they want. The facts are that everything points to Brooks Reed kicking inside.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
History showed that Wade had moved guys from OLB to ILB and vice versa.

For me, I thought that Cushing's skill set can afford him to play both;
I feel the same way about Reed.
A guy like Sio Moore, who I coveted in the draft, played both inside and outside in college, in the same year, effectively.
There is no reason a pro can't do it.
Whatshisname who played under Wade, everywhere on the line, and was a HOF.

It's just a matter how Wade and the coaches want to go about it.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Sounds like he worked at ILB. All depends on the rookies, I reckon

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 13m
Brooks Reed practiced at ILB today. #Texans are taking a look at Sam Montgomery, Trevardo Williams and Bryan Braman at OLB
Lost some weight too

PDS ‏@PatDStat 10m
Brooks Reed is another player who looks like he shed some weight. 6-3, 256. Changed into a more lean version. #Texans

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I put this Reed to ILB thing out last year....i think its a good look to...while he wasn't great at OLB i think people are overstating how bad he was when all things are taken into consideration (injuries, 2nd year guy in new position etc..)

I think keeping him on the field in some capacity and seeing what these other kids can bring to the table has the potential to make us that much more explosive and versatile.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I put this Reed to ILB thing out last year....i think its a good look to...while he wasn't great at OLB i think people are overstating how bad he was when all things are taken into consideration (injuries, 2nd year guy in new position etc..)

I think keeping him on the field in some capacity and seeing what these other kids can bring to the table has the potential to make us that much more explosive and versatile.
I think Brooks can be a playmaker for us. Just not on the edges. I'd feel better with him taking inside snaps too, if we lose Cush for a game or two.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame

The latest info we have on the situation is kubiak and smith basically saying absolutely not.
OTAs and he's taking reps at ILB. Williams and Montgomery are taking reps at OLB with the first and second teams.

Granted, this might just be to get Reed up-to-speed in case of emergency later but still...

wolf123

Rookie
I think he's a much better fit at ILB then on the edge. He reminds me of Brian cushing when we were first switching to a 3-4. Cushing wouldn't of look great at OLB either.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Also appears Sharpton put in a full load. We'll see how long this lasts

PDS ‏@PatDStat 2h
Darryl Sharpton was a full go today at OTAs. Moved well without any issues. #Texans

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think he's a much better fit at ILB then on the edge. He reminds me of Brian cushing when we were first switching to a 3-4. Cushing wouldn't of look great at OLB either.
Cushing was making plays several times a game as a 4-3 SAM. The way our SAM plays outside of Watt as the 5-Tech, it shouldn't be very different.

Reed was alright, but he's done nothing to remind me of Brian Cushing.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Cushing was making plays several times a game as a 4-3 SAM. The way our SAM plays outside of Watt as the 5-Tech, it shouldn't be very different.

Reed was alright, but he's done nothing to remind me of Brian Cushing.
Good news is he doesn't have to be Cushing or even near him to be successful. He (or anyone) has only to be better than last year.

drs23

Veteran
Good news is he doesn't have to be Cushing or even near him to be successful. He (or anyone) has only to be better than last year.
I'll go on record as saying he will be better than ANYONE from last season. I think Brooks will put forth the on field/classroom effort and study to exceed at the ILB position.

Is it September yet??

EVOLVIST

Kid A
Well, according to Brian Crushing today at my son's football camp, he said he couldn't see Reed playing inside because the two draft picks are very "young." Not "raw," but "young" which I take that to mean simply not ready and that Sharpton will play next to Cush

I know Cush is not a coach, but where I was sitting it was a very innocent question that Cush elaborated on with what sounded like a strong opinion.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
I think I'll be staying at outside. If at some point in the season they move me, I have no problem contributing at middle. -@Brooksreed58

The depth at middle was a bit of a mystery at OTAs, so I think they put me there as a safety measure. -@Brooksreed58 #TexansRadio

Rey

So Smith and Kubiak can be coy all they want. The facts are that everything points to Brooks Reed kicking inside.
There's been several people come out and say Reed is staying outside.

Reed himself, Merciless, Kubiak, Rick Smith....

I suppose now that's good enough evidence for you?

Number19

Hall of Fame
But who do we have at ILB? Cushing, Dobbins & Sharpton.

This maybe should be another thread, but given that Sharpton stays healthy, are you comfortable with him playing the strongside ILB? Can he do the job?

He's undersized - and he's incredibly slow. 300 pound Earl Mitchell is as fast straight-away as Sharpton ( 4.81 40; 2.74 20 & 1.58 10 ) and his shuttle and 3-cone are not much better than 287 pound Jarid Crick.

I think he's serviceable as a back-up, but IMO he's a liability as a starter. The one thing he has going for himself is that he's been in the system for 3 years.

And this leads into the alternative. Can you imagine a strong side of Branan, Watt and Reed. Despite some inevitable rough edges, with his 4.6 speed, all Branan would need to excel at is protecting the outside and to turn the runner back into Watt and Reed, who also has 4.6 speed. With Watt demanding double team's, our OLB is going to be one-on-one with either the TE or the FB. If our OLB is double teamed, this means Reed would go unblocked.

Watt, Reed & Branan would be outstanding. I'm not so certain it would be as good with Sharpton in at ILB.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This maybe should be another thread, but given that Sharpton stays healthy, are you comfortable with him playing the strongside ILB? Can he do the job?

He's undersized - and he's incredibly slow. 300 pound Earl Mitchell is as fast straight-away as Sharpton ( 4.81 40; 2.74 20 & 1.58 10 ) and his shuttle and 3-cone are not much better than 287 pound Jarid Crick.
Watching him on the field, he plays a lot faster than those numbers. I'm very comfortable with Sharpton next to Cushing.

Watt, Reed & Branan would be outstanding. I'm not so certain it would be as good with Sharpton in at OLB.
I don't want to see Sharpton at OLB either.