Brooks Reed

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by BSofA04, Nov 6, 2011.

1. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Give the man some props for stepping in and playing at a high level.

4 starts, 4 sacks. One away from the team lead. Brooks is putting together a pretty solid season since he was thrown into the fire. What more can you ask from a 2nd round rookie?

HJam72 likes this.
  2. Arsenal

Arsenal Veteran

Well, I always knew he could do it but if he can really keep it up against top class O-lines. He's really going to give Rick Smith something to think about in the offseason.

3. GP

GP Go Texans!

This is beginning to beg the question, the old chicken and egg story:

Is it the player or the coordinator?

Because supposedly we were DOOMED when Mario Williams got hurt andis out for the year................

I was saying back in the preseason that IF Wade Phillips is who we historically know him to be (a builder of good defenses) and IF he is given some goods to work with here, then Mario Williams or no Mario Williams we should see a good defense this year.

Let's also remember that we're talking about the Browns here. Let's see what happens against a good passing team like the Bengals. Anybody else watching this Bengals-Titans game right now? Dude, the Bengals are no joke. Dalton is making great decisions all game long. His accuracy is top notch. The passing plays are down-the-field and effective.

Jeff Triplett's bunch is reff'ing this game and they are calling a penalty on every other play. Isn't this bunch the most penalizing crew out there? It's incredible. Every other play there is holding or a personal foul or some such.

4. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

The question will be answered once we face elite QB's in the playoffs.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Brooks is growing into his role. Two sacks against any NFL team is a milestone.

6. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

He's been nothing short of bad ass.

7. VTexan

VTexan The Realist

Still young and learning. Ran by Colt a couple of times or he could have more sacks. Also got fooled by a screen play twice. But he has a great motor and is very fast... Just needs to stop using his momentum against himself.

8. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i think he is what he is. a solid rookie OLB in an ideal system with great play around him and extremely little attention from opposing offenses. the same knocks applied to mario beating tightends (he's supposed to make the play) need to be applied to unblocked reed (he's supposed to make the play). i dont mean to diminish what he's done, because the results are there, but he's got plenty of work to do. i think he'll only get better, but i'm hesitant to heap on too much praise.

9. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Fixed it for you.

10. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Not saying he isn't.. Just saying and asking how he will perform in important games. Hopefully he will perform great.

11. cdain1

cdain1 Rookie

[​IMG]

amazing80 likes this.
  12. Scooter

Scooter Funky

spend most of your time on the official forum?

Malloy likes this.
  13. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

playing decent for a rook but lets not kid ourselves.. on alot of his impact plays/sacks, hes been unblocked.. hes missed a couple other unblocked ones too

good start to his career though

14. Arsenal

Arsenal Veteran

You can't fix what was never broken.

15. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I know some people are going to want to turn this into another Brooks vs. Mario question but with the way hes playing right now I would love to see them on the field starting together. Reed has that natural pass rush instinct and edge speed for the position. Barwin is playing some excellent football as well but Reed is really killing it. Man, I love watching our defense.

16. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

I'm not going to over-praise the man, I'm just giving him props for being an impact player on a damn good defense. That's right, I said it, a damn good defense.

I agree with Scooter and others here that he needs work, but the tools/motor are there for a solid OLB in our system. Still a work in progress, but the man has a chance to break the all-time rookie sack record (5.5...pathetic but that's another bitching session) without starting 25% of the season.

Cush. Captain Meco. Connor. Reed. Not a bad LB group!

17. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Props for calling this. It's clear to me that Wade is a miracle worker.

18. Scooter

Scooter Funky

couldnt agree more, especially about the motor. he's got strong moves and is a 60 minute worker, reed has a ton of upside especially in this system. wade has turned futility into a top defense with effort - leaning on guys like reed, cushing, watt, manning, smith - hustle never give up types. reed isnt a major pass rusher yet though and has some work to do to be a more complete linebacker. he may become one, but right now he's taking advantage of being an afterthought for offenses. i hate that i sound like i'm knocking the guy, because like i said the results are there and that's all that matters.

and you might want to change it to Meco and Captain Cush.

19. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Anyone who wants Brooks instead of Mario is silly. BUT, it comes down to what will Mario's contract demands be?

Brooks has proven and can start and play well. He has issues, which hopefully can improve with experience and coaching.

20. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

I don't think we'll see Mario in a Texans uniform next year.

HJam72 likes this.