Brooks Reed is gonna have to be on the field somehow someway

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by stingray, Aug 20, 2011.

1. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

When the season starts. The guy is talented and can rush the passer. He might just be the real deal.

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

His practice notes have been terrible, but he sure brings it on gameday. Some players are like that. He looks great out there

3. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I heard that, but man the guy does bring it. He might turn out to be nothing special but I want to see more of him especially against starters.

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Next week we should see more of a real Defensive rotation. Hopefully that would include Reed going against some 1s.

He looks good....

Seems like Brooks Reed & Antonio Smith are the only ones making plays from the front 7

5. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I was calling for him to start by the end of the game.

I don't envy the coaches having to decide who gets cut. This is by far the most talent I've ever seen in a Texans preseason.

This team should easily win 11 games.

6. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

THIS!!! Game 3 will give us a better measuring stick, unless you consider we're playing the 49'ers. Do FBS style points count?

7. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I want to see Reed getting some playing time with the starters against the oppositions starters for a true evaluation of his abilities. If he plays great then he might make Mario obsolete. At the very least he looks faster and more athletic than Mario who looks stiff. I think Marios size is working against him at OLB, he's just not quick enough.

8. BullsOnParade

BullsOnParade Go Texans!

I don't see him starting over Mario, but I do think he'll get more plays in the rotation. Reed took a step forward this week, while Nading took one back.

9. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

I don't know...seems like that number 99 guy is wreaking a little havoc out there, too.

10. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

WAAAAAATTTTTT

You're forgetting JJ. Earl has been decent as well, but needs improvement.

11. Rey

Rey Guest

Tim Jamison? Jj watts? Scooter berry? Earl Mitchell?

Antonio and Brooks reed made plays this week, but lots of guys were making plays last week.

Mario also dropped into coverage more times than I think he normally will.

I like the fact that different guys are stepping up. I like the fact that when a guy gets a hit on the qb another guy is flying in to clean up, or pick up a fumble. Heck, even in his first action Cushing looked pretty good blitzing and getting in the qb's face.

Different guys stepping up and doing Stuff is a great thing. That's what you want out of your defense.

12. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

Reed will get playing time. My understanding is that Wade likes to rotate guys in to give the other OLBs a rest. We'll see Barwin, Reed, and Mario in there in different combinations. I think Reed improved a lot on the field since last game. He was very much more around the ball than last week.

13. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

Why do I keep seeing comments like this on this board? Mario is too talented to become obsolete. What Reed's play could allow us to do is shift Mario back to DE & slide Watt to the NT position. In my opinion, Watt would be an upgrade over Cody & Mitchell at this point.

14. Spled

Spled All Pro

He seemed to be overpowering the ol at times.

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That would be asking a lot of Watt. He's very tall for a NT. Not unprecedented, as I've seen 6'6" Richard Seymour play NT for the Pats as a rookie.

If Reed can continue to get to the QB, it might make sense to move Mario inside in the nickel. Essentially play 4 DEs (Williams, Barwin, Reed, and either Smith or Watt). As the Giants did to Brady in Super Bowl XLII. In fact, that would be the front I would go to at the start of the Indy game. Begin in the nickel, and dare the Colts to run.

16. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

He's been willing to do whatever the coaches want him to do & he takes coaching very well. If I recall correctly, Wade indicated that he might play some NT when we drafted him. With his size & instintive ability to know when to put his hands up, he would pretty much shut down most down the middle passes. He might not be able to play the NT position, but until I know otherwise, I'm going to continue to think he can.

17. Texas T

Texas T Hall of Fame

This has been the best part of the D so far. Shut down one guy and someone else seems to be stepping up. If this keeps up it's gonna be a great season!!

18. ATRAIN

ATRAIN ATX TEXANS FAN

Reed has shown big play material on the DEF end. I think with him in there with the first stringers he will prove to everyone that he needs to be on the field at all times. I say lets put Mario on the end opposite Antonio and put Reed in there. Imagine Smith, Mario, Barwin, Ryans, Watt, Reed, Ryans, and Cushing all on the line at the same time. I know it wouldnt work but wow just wow.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Bum Phillip's defense was known to swarm to the ball. It was constantly on the attack with everyone trying to put a hat on the ball. I am eagerly waiting to see how Wade's develops with this roster.

20. ATRAIN

ATRAIN ATX TEXANS FAN

We have seen a lot of that this year. How many sacks did we have this past sat? How many did we have total last year?