Broncos release two defensive linemen from their old 3-4 system

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by La Voz, Mar 3, 2011.

1. La Voz

La Voz Rookie

The Broncos, converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3, have released Justin Banaan and Jamal Williams.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17531737

I could definitely see us signing one or both on the cheap. What other team is converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3 this year? I recall there being another one.

2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I'd take Jamal Williams in a heartbeat and draft a big fellow to groom .

3. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Does he fit the kind of 3-4 we want?

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Williams played for Phillips when both were at San Diego. He would probanly be good for 30 plays a game. But a tag team at NT of Williams,Cody and a draft pick would cover the NT position. Bannan is also a steady 3-4 DE.

5. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

He was All-Pro in 2005 & 2006 when Wade was the DC for the Chargers.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

I'd take either one of those guys...

7. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

I think Williams is past his prime but I wouldn't mind bringing in Justin Bannan. He has played for Baltimore and there 3-4 so he knows the scheme and what it takes to be a dominating defense. If the price is right and barring any issues health related, I would try and sign him.

8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Sometimes you have to bring in a one year guy. And Baltimore doesn't play a 3-4 that is anywhere similar to what Wade runs

9. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

All three of Denver's starters would make solid rotational reserves. Bannan's the best of the bunch, consistently playing with a high motor, but Williams is nearing the end and while he stayed healthy can't play significant snaps and doesn't draw the double-team attention of his All-Pro days. Vickerson was picked up off the street after training camp and quickly surpassed McBean, pointing at the weakness of this group overall. Thomas could be a free agent and may go. Ronald Fields can spell a top-notch nose tackle but isn't starter material. Leonard was a late addition to the roster in December, his third team in 2010.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/DEN/14627171/broncos-report-strategy-and-personnel

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Unlike the relatively svelte Ratliff at NT in Dallas, Williams was Wade's big, fat pro-bowl NT in San Diego. Nice to know Wade's flexible.

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

And I think that is where we could see us picking up a guy like Williams. Because with Wade he knows who to play and when. If one guy is a run stuffing NT he's gonna play on early downs while a pass rushing NT will get more reps on the later downs. Getting the best out of each player throughout the whole game.