Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Broncos game thoughts

Well, we came out of the gates playing the kind of football we wanted. DD was getting decent YPC, Carr was spreading the ball, and the D was stopping the Broncos running game. It just seemed like we couldn't make the big plays (ie. converting third downs, stopping third downs) and the Broncos not only did that but also had several long, LONG plays that made our secondary look pretty inept. Not that it was all on the secondary's shoulders, Plummer and his o-line were buying alot of time.

- Was Eric Brown benched in favor of Glenn Earl? Not sure if he was injured or otherwise, but I thought Earl performed pretty admirably. I saw him around the ball alot, and saw him running behind a receiver much less than I saw Brown doing same.

- Carr was having more trouble than normal today. I think that's partly attributable to the Broncos playing more so against the pass basically the entire 2nd half, and partly because his receivers (AJ, Armstrong) had a few drops, regardless of the difficulty of the catch. When you're getting sacked, having batted balls and the like, you'd atleast like your receivers to go make some big plays for you. He also just didn't have the accuracy he needed on some throws.

- Wells would have had a terrible day on ST despite the fact he returned the blocked punt.

- Babin had some nice hurries, Robinson showed exactly how fearless of a hitter he really is *thud*, and Peek put his explosiveness on showcase.

- The Broncos just plain beat us in every phase of the game. Their offense outperformed our defense, their defense outperformed our offense, we were outcoached (see: Capers, Palmer, or whoever calling the QB sneak, and then wasting a challenge on a spot that was accurate and not overturnable due to lack of evidence to prove otherwise), and the Broncs just seemed to have better field position.

- We're still a competitor for the division. We have enough talent to be better than a .500 team right now, IMO. As has been stated a zillion times we just need to develop consistency and a solid gameplan for each opponent we face. Easier said than done, but regardless, I think if we can pull ourselves back together for the next couple games we'll be a serious contender for the division.

yeah,,,we still got a shot to take the division,,Jacksonville looks to be in trouble and the colts are nearly in the same position as us !! Its not over yet

I'm assuming that Brown was benched in favor of Earl. I thought Earl played well in the second half, especially against the run. Brown can ride the pine as far as I'm concerned.

Broncos game thoughts? .. A noon game at a lower elevation might have worked out better.
They were totally out of sync, whatever the reason.

maybe they were getting over confident after the jags game,,,,, people said we lost last year cause we were over confident so maybe since we've started winning we really are !!! idonno:

We have seen some very bad play calling in the last several games even though we won. I will go back to last week and mention the 3rd and 1 on the 2. They tried to pass. You run on that play and that's all there is too it. Today your team is scored against with less than two minutes on the clock and you are in disarray and you try 3 passes deep in your own territory and run no time off of the clock. That roughly two minute period before the half was the ball game despite how badly we played. If you look back over the Huston record you will see that that has occurred in the past on more than one occasion. Again as people mention, late in the 3rd you might as well run the ball or pass it when you are down that far rather than punt. That I could tolerate as they just wanted to get out of Denver without having a worse score. They had given up at that point. Some of you will be all over me, because you think I'm pass, pass, pass. However, what you are not understanding is that this coaching staff is terrible from an offensive point of view. To me its like they have no concept of what one should do when they have the ball. They really do the opposite of what they should on a lot of occasions. We have won despite their ineptness. Did the players play badly and they should have their *********ts kicked, but the coaches need theirs kicked to. They were flat ****** outcoached today.

4 TD scoring drives of more than 65 yards, 3 of them 80 or more. You gotta make some stops.

yeah they played bad and i was thinking the D was finally coming around i mean they have looked so good the last 2 weeks,,,what happened just a total break down !!! Werent playing smart ,and focused to much on Rod Smith and than didnt focus enough on him and he beat us !! it was horrible job by our secondary !

every team has days like this...its not just us...if we lose next week...some of you are going to go crazy i think, even tho indy is another great team

I totally agree with you Blockhead.. we were "Schooled" today in every way. I really thought we were better than the whipping we got today.

Yeah, it's hard to know what the heck happened when your being dominated. I mean, where do you want to start? The run defense? The pass protection? We just got pounded today. It's just kinda sucks because we haven't blown out like this since early last season.

Glenn Earl looked very good.
Babin was very good.
Gaffney was good.
It's also quite encouraging that when Carr has an off day, he completed almost 60%, 250 yards, and no interceptions.

Also, the Broncos didn't earn a scoring drive until their third touchdown:

1. horrible interference call against Glenn
2. gift from Texans going for it on 4th down at midfield
3. totally bogus roughing the passer call against Deloach.

remove those and add the field goal miss in the first half and things could have been quite different. the team still played poorly and got their butts whipped, but that often happens to teams on the road when a series of breaks go against them.

Look at it this way....it could be a whole lot worse. I'm glad the Texans aren't in the AFC West; then they would have to play in Denver at least once every year. :thumbdown .

dalemurphy said:
1. horrible interference call against Glenn

3. totally bogus roughing the passer call against Deloach..
Are complaints about things like that turned into the league? .. for the sole purpose of getting bad marks against those refs, so that they won't be officiating in any championship playoff games.

SassyTexan said:
Are complaints about things like that turned into the league? .. for the sole purpose of getting bad marks against those refs, so that they won't be officiating in any championship playoff games.

Most teams send in a tape of plays they think were wrongly decided each week. The plays are reviewed and the team is given feedback on whether the plays were correctly called. Some of the time the results of those reviews will sneak out to the press and fans will hear what should have happened.

I think the blame lies on the Defense this game. We both had plenty of 1st downs. We both had 300 plus yards of offense. But where I see the game being lost is with these stats.

Penalties-Yards: Texans 9-109 Broncos 4-50

Touchdowns:
Rushing Texans 2 Broncos 0
Passing Texans 0 Broncos 4

Net Yards Passing 228 225
Comp.-Att. Texans 22-41 Broncos 16-24

***The broncos had 225 passing yards on 16 completions. And 4 went for Touchdowns. Which means poor coverage, and bad tackling.

well if the D line could get a little pressure !!! u expect the CB to cover the recievers all day ? This was a total team FAILED effort ! Yuo win as a team and lose as a team so i think it should be blamed on the team and not on certain individuals ! Every aspect of the game was played bad

Unlike the first two games where it can be pointed to the fumbles as the cause for the losses, this one was pretty much a team effort. Carr was NOT sharp (numbers came a lot in garbage time), the WR were cold, the o-line was elsewhere and the defense was a sieve particularly deep (run wasn't too bad). ST had a couple of good moments though except for the penalties. Overall the team just didn't show up.

Talking about the penalties, I really think they need to give the refs more options as far as the amount of yardage on the penalties. That roughing call where Plummer was nudged out of bounds could have been a five yarder (or a no call, IMO) and that pass interference could have been a 15 yarder (or a no call). I'm tired of seeing 40 yd., game breaking (in many cases) penalties on interference calls that are questionable or somewhat questionable. Most of the interference being committed is not worth anywhere near the yardage it's penalized for.

HJam72 said:
That roughing call where Plummer was nudged out of bounds could have been a five yarder (or a no call, IMO).

The funny thing is that Plummer could have taken that run upfield for a huge gain, and everyone would have talked about how the Defense wasnt paying attention. But the D makes sure he goes out of bounds, and we get a flag? WTF mate.

If we have a strong, even if unsuccessful effort in Indy this weekend, the Denver game was just an aberration. If we have another effort in Indy
like yesterday, Houston - we have a problem.

nunusguy said:
If we have a strong, even if unsuccessful effort in Indy this weekend, the Denver game was just an aberration. If we have another effort in Indy
like yesterday, Houston - we have a problem.

You hit it on the head. Even very good team have bad games; see Eagles this week or pats last week, but the number of good games need to outwieght the bad one conciderably.

One thing that worries me is the fact that now we are relying on Carr's arm in the last several games. Our running game going into these colder months had better start picking up, or we will be seeing more of the these Denver type games from here on out.

HJam72 said:
Talking about the penalties, I really think they need to give the refs more options as far as the amount of yardage on the penalties. That roughing call where Plummer was nudged out of bounds could have been a five yarder (or a no call, IMO) and that pass interference could have been a 15 yarder (or a no call). I'm tired of seeing 40 yd., game breaking (in many cases) penalties on interference calls that are questionable or somewhat questionable. Most of the interference being committed is not worth anywhere near the yardage it's penalized for.

Good points imo! That gives the refs some middle ground. If there is a bomb, there should be a middle area, rather them forcing a call or no call. The same goes for roughing the passer. Both of those calls were weak imo. The bottom line is that the league wants to see more scoring. Personally, while I like the scoring, I also know it's football and not ballet. A certain amount of contact has to be tolerated, or the integerity of the game will suffer.

Ibar Harry is out to lunch...

lastly, we just plain did not show up yesterday. Yesterday was one of those snowball games, that start with a couple of small negatives, and just snowball out of control before you turn around. I'll chalk it up to the late start and thin air. I really have a good feeling about Indy. Win or lose, we will give them all they can handle imo.

DC_ROCK said:
I think the blame lies on the Defense this game. We both had plenty of 1st downs. We both had 300 plus yards of offense. But where I see the game being lost is with these stats.

Penalties-Yards: Texans 9-109 Broncos 4-50

Touchdowns:
Rushing Texans 2 Broncos 0
Passing Texans 0 Broncos 4

Net Yards Passing 228 225
Comp.-Att. Texans 22-41 Broncos 16-24

***The broncos had 225 passing yards on 16 completions. And 4 went for Touchdowns. Which means poor coverage, and bad tackling.

I think the key stat for this game is missed tackles. Too many to count. :thumbdown

The cold, hard truth is that we got beat by the better team. The Texans are only in their 3rd year of existance and are ahead of schedule. People can always complain about the coaching or the play calling but the real problem on this team is the talent not the coaching.

The fact is the Texans have to play a great, almost flawless game to make the games close and win. where as teams with better talent can have a bad game and still squeek out a win, the Texans cant, not at this stage of their development.They have to play great and win by about 7 points or not play great and have Denver happen to them. Denver had their backs againts the wall and came to play.New England would have been hard pressed to beat them. The Texans are on the right track. We should praise our coaching staff instead of ragging on them after every loss.

SESupergenius said:
One thing that worries me is the fact that now we are relying on Carr's arm in the last several games. Our running game going into these colder months had better start picking up, or we will be seeing more of the these Denver type games from here on out.

Ok this is the best our running game has been in 2 weeks and we lose,,,when we didnt get much off the ground we won ! I think its just coinsidence but the D is to blame (along with Everything else including Carr and D.D) ,,,,no touchdowns in 6 quarters haha well throw that stat out the window !

Back