Broke -- an ESPN 30-for-30 film airing Tuesday, October 2 @8:00pm ET

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Playoffs, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Conventional wisdom is that professional athletes blow a lot of money on useless crap. Spoiler alert: professional athletes blow a lot of money on useless crap. But that's barely the tip of the iceberg. I was surprised to discover -- and I think others will be, too -- how easy it is to go broke...

Broke -- an ESPN 30-for-30 film airing Tuesday, October 2 @8:00pm ET

preview videos: http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=broke or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efzKNh-_poU

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  2. GP

GP Go Texans!

I just can't bring myself to watch that one. I hate stories of failure.

Intriguing? Yes. Just not something I like to sit through for a long time.

You would think the league and its owners would take a bigger role with their players...maybe to the point of even forcing them to enter a significant portion of the paychecks into solid, LEGITIMATE invest vehicles of some sort.

I know this is entertainment business. I know these are grown men. But it would be cool if somehow there was a spirit of stewardship in the NFL where guys were saved form themselves. Not excusing their ignorance, just saying that sometimes cycles of poverty cane broken less by handouts and more by modeling for the modern-day athlete what it's like to measure out your finances in a more stable manner. Just sayin'.....

Giant Tiger likes this.
  3. Playoffs

Collectively bargained, not an option.

4. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

Coke and Hookers for 500 Alex!
    :kitten:

5. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Employers should be able to force employees to spend money in a manner approved by the employer? Sounds fantastic

dc_txtech likes this.
  6. GP

GP Go Texans!

No, give them 50% salary and 50% investment options where the player can direct their 50% investment money into ANY vehicle of their choice.

Rather than letting the player waste it on some shady scheme the player's cousin has concocted to embezzle the player's money through.

A strict set of investment companies, thoroughly audited and vetted for genuine compliance, all in one huge list the player and his agent can choose from.

This isn't trying to figure out how to harness time travel. It's not that hard.

7. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

How can you say no when that's exactly what you are suggesting be done? It doesn't matter how good you try to make your forced option of where their pay must go it is scenario in which an employer controls 50% of your pay and directs what you can or can not do with it. Whats hard is trying to understand how you'd be okay with empowering employers to force employees into spending their income how the company has specified. It's a horrible idea

8. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

Is the airing Tuesday the 2nd or Thursday the 4th?

9. Playoffs

Doh! [IMGwidthsize=50]http://obamadiary.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/homer_doh.png[/IMG]Tuesday, fixed it.