Brian Orakpo: Would you trade up for him?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Hottoddie, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

First off, let me say I'm opposed to trading up & having to give up additional draft picks. But, if you felt a player could make a significant impact immediately, would you do it?

In my opinion, Orakpo may be the one DE prospect that could step in from day one & make a significant impact. There's a definte possibility that he could drop to the 8-10 spots in the draft, which would make him a little more cost effective to trade up for. If we assume we have to move up to #8 (1400 pts), it would cost us our 1st (1050 pts) & 2nd (450 pts) round picks to make that move. Of course, you could substitute next year's #1 pick & keep the 2nd this year.

Either way, you're potentially giving up 2 starters for one potential impact player. With a more aggressive DC, the young prospects we have in the secondary, the return of both Diles & Adibi, & any possible free agent moves we make this off season, making this kind of a bold move might be just enough to put us over the top.

Would you do it?

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I would not do it.

If I could choose any player for the Texans first round pick this year it would be Orakpo. I think he would make the biggest impact on our team.

But I don't think we can afford to trade up in the first round. We have more than one need and we cannot afford to give up the extra picks this year.

3. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Yes. be glad I'm not the GM. I'd offer up a three this year and next years #1. Throw in Weaver to boot.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  4. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Absolutely, positively not. I like him, but I wouldn't trade up for him.

5. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

Absolutely not.

He may be ranked the best DE now, but I'm not convinced that he will be considered the best DE from this draft at the end of next season or after that.

Even if he is still considered the best DE, the question then becomes how much better is he than the other DE's drafted after him.

Depending on when Orakpo is picked and the other DE's are picked there may be a great difference in the production versus pay ratio that could greatly favor the later picked DE's.

In otherwords, even if Orakpo is the number 1 rookie DE in terms of sacks at the end of next season, it is quite possible that someone picked later, maybe even in the second round, could finish within a few sacks of his performance and at a considerably lower cost.

I know sacks are not all that matters for a DE. I just used them for comparison purposes because they are easier to understand and quantify.

In reality one would want to compare how disruptive each DE was to their opponents and at what cost to their particular teams.

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Ahem no. If he's there at 15 and you think he's BPA then you take him.

7. threetoedpete

that would mean I'm correct. I think he's the best player....for this football team, on the board. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Tarzan. He walks the walk.

8. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

It would make your sig line pretty funny...

M-O-O-O

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I like Orakpo for the Texans, but would not trade up. In fact the only player I ever wanted ot trade up for was Adrian Peterson as I felt he was a once in a generation type player.

10. threetoedpete

Even if it meant for sure you would win the division out right and give the DBs on the roster enough pressure that they will become more productive ? I'm all for safe....and yes I see the world through orange colored glasses here, so I'm a bit prejudice in my judgment. But I truly believe that move gives us the conference crown out right. And if I believe that I'd be a fool not to make the move. So would Kubes and Smith. They maybe targeting the kid from A& M who knows ?

11. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

Hehe, yeah I thought the same thing. :D

12. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

If we were to draft any DE to play opposite Mario I would choose Orakpo. But, I still wouldn't trade up. We are not in the position to just be giving away draft picks this year. We still have alot of depth that we need to add to and positions that need upgrades.

13. was385

was385 Rookie

If that was our one major need then I'd consider it, but with needs in the secondary, at OLB, DE, DT, and a few along the O-Line, there's no way I would consider giving up a second or third rounder along with the first just to get him.

14. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

What OMT said. NO!

I'm still hoping for a trade down scenario and possibly get Kruger later in the 1st.

15. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Orakpo is a stud for sure but he has had his fair share of injury concerns both this year and in the past. Can't sack Peyton from the sidelines.

Having said that I wouldn't be opposed to trading up for him but not nearly at the price that the OP has stated. The Jags managed to trade up into the 8 slot last year from 26 and they didn't have to give up their 2nd or any future draft picks. Throw out the old draft pick value chart that everyone always sees because those mid round picks are more valuable to teams now and because those top picks are very expensive.

16. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I sure do hope he falls to us. Just checked out his combine and man he was impressive. Aside from what I saw at UT, he should be everything as advertised but I wouldn't trade up for him.

I also think the Williams kid from Texas Tech looked impressive.

17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

nope, not with the possibility Johnson would fall to us at 15..

18. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

The thing I like about Orakpo is that he just seems like a competitor. Like a blue collar, hard worker, does what it takes to get the job done kind of guy. Supposedly he doesn't have a quick first step, which is important for a DE, but he's relentless in pursuing the QB. Some guys can just get the job done, will he be able to in the pros against top notch LTs? Who knows. Pete seems to think so. I have my reservations but I'd love to see the kid succeed.

19. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

The Texans can't afford to trade up for anyone. We have to many needs.

If the Texans do any trading with picks, they will be trading down I can assure you.

20. Polo

Polo Guest

Depends on what you mean by trade up...If we're talking about 2,3 or 4 slots then yeah...I'd give up a 4th or 5th rounder to move up for him...