Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian hoyer to sign with Texans

I don't get it ; folks want to just HAND the starting job to Mallett.
Wasn't that one of the reasons folks wanted Kubiak run out of town, because he never brought someone legit in to challenge Schaub for the starter's job???
...now you want O'Brien to just HAND the job to Mallett.

If Mallett wins the job he wins it.
But dammit, make him WIN it.

Wasn't that one of the reasons folks wanted Kubiak run out of town, because he never brought someone legit in to challenge Schaub for the starter's job???

If Mallett wins the job he wins it.
But dammit, make him WIN it.

I wouldn't have been happy at all if Kubiak brought Hoyer in to compete with Schaub.

I wouldn't have been happy at all if Kubiak brought Hoyer in to compete with Schaub.
Well, Kubiak did bring in Grossman and Leinhart... for what it's worth.
...whether there was an actual competition for Schaub's job is open to debate.

just like there wasn't really a competition for our starter's job last year.

...or this year
:D

Well, Kubiak did bring in Grossman and Leinhart... for what it's worth.
...whether there was an actual competition for Schaub's job is open to debate.

just like there wasn't really a competition for our starter's job last year.

...or this year
:D

If Mallett wins the job he wins it. But dammit, make him WIN it.

Not so sure that everyone wants to hand it to Mallett as much as they are reacting to the noise around OB already preferring Hoyer and this not being a true competition.

That being said, Hoyer has started enough games that we have seen his upside. I would prefer to gamble on Mallett and his uber small sample size and potential than to go with someone who is doing his best Fitzy journeyman impression AND got benched for the trainwreck known as Johnny Football. Not to mention he will be 30 in October. How many years as a starter are you getting out of 30-year old journeyman? Holy crap sounds like a Fitz comment from last year...

Yeah, you say that now. But when we wanted some serious competition for Schaub, say back after his Lisfranc injury in late 2011, Hoyer was in his 3rd year being Tom Brady's understudy. You're saying you wouldn't have been interested in bringing Hoyer here back in 2012? This was pre-Arizona and pre-Cleveland AND when Schaub was starting to show some signs of wear & tear after the injury.

It's all good to say that now, but Hoyer was pretty much an unknown and young commodity back then the only thing on his resume' was being Brady's backup.

Remember, in 2012, T.J. Yates was the only other QB on our roster.

Are you sure you'd have been unhappy with bringing in Brady's understudy to compete with Yates and Schaub?

Not so sure that everyone wants to hand it to Mallett as much as they are reacting to the noise around OB already preferring Hoyer and this not being a true competition.

The "Mallett should be starting" movement was around well before this camp rumor about BOB came out.

Yeah, you say that now. But when we wanted some serious competition for Schaub, say back after his Lisfranc injury in late 2011, Hoyer was in his 3rd year being Tom Brady's understudy. You're saying you wouldn't have been interested in bringing Hoyer here back in 2012? This was pre-Arizona and pre-Cleveland AND when Schaub was starting to show some signs of wear & tear after the injury.

It's all good to say that now, but Hoyer was pretty much an unknown and young commodity back then the only thing on his resume' was being Brady's backup.

Remember, in 2012, T.J. Yates was the only other QB on our roster.

Are you sure you'd have been unhappy with bringing in Brady's understudy to compete with Yates and Schaub?

Pretty much. Hoyer was undrafted (was he already loosing his hair back then)? I liked Grossman & Lienart a lot better than bringing in an undrafted guy who was brought in with little expectation of ever seeing the field (behind Iron Man Tom Brady).

& for the record, I didn't have a problem with Tj Yates being that guy, until that San Fran game where Kubiak put him in after Schaub threw yet another INT (after already throwing a pick6 in that game) & wouldn't let him throw. Then after that St Louis game, he goes with Keenum.

My thinking is if Yates was supposed to be the guy, why not let him throw, then after you've had it with Schaub, you don't even let this guy play... so why was he even on the team? After Schaub fell apart at the end of 2012, if he had no faith in Yates, we should have drafted a guy in the first two rounds of the 2013 draft (Ryan Nassib).

So no... bringing in he UDFA from New England would not have satisfied the Schaub competition role.

Pretty much. Hoyer was undrafted (was he already loosing his hair back then)? I liked Grossman & Lienart a lot better than bringing in an undrafted guy who was brought in with little expectation of ever seeing the field (behind Iron Man Tom Brady).
back then I was actually hoping Matty Hottub would end up challenging Schaub for his job sooner or later; especially given the deteriating performance Doc warned us about back then. But fate was against us.
I was never really a Yates guy.

Well technically OB made him the starter last year so it's not an unrealistic expectation that people would have.
That's an interesting observation. If Mallett was the last starter not installed because of injury, why take the job away from him this season?

That's an interesting observation. If Mallett was the last starter not installed because of injury, why take the job away from him this season?

I don't like it & I know "everyone" says their contracts don't matter, but we out bid everyone else (true it was probably only one other team) to get him. We allowed Mallett to choose between our team & another offering more money.

One guy we had to have. The other... we could take him or leave him.

I don't like it & I know "everyone" says their contracts don't matter, but we out bid everyone else (true it was probably only one other team) to get him. We allowed Mallett to choose between our team & another offering more money.

One guy we had to have. The other... we could take him or leave him.

Interesting take but not one I agree with. Who did they sign first? I think Hoyer was brought in to be insurance and everyone knows the cost of insurance keeps rising

Interesting take but not one I agree with. Who did they sign first? I think Hoyer was brought in to be insurance and everyone knows the cost of insurance keeps rising

They had Fitz on contract. He was insurance & he was cheaper than Hoyer.

Doesn't sound very smart.

I wouldn't have done it either, but no one asked my opinion :pissed:

it is what it is so I'll put the best spin on it I can until I'm disappointed and then I'll tell them they can kiss my ass ala Thorn

edit: I do understand the signing tho... OB knew Hoyer better than he knew any other QB available and obviously thought more of him than any QB in the draft available. Hoyer was signed to basically a 1 year prove it to me deal.

Back