Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Brian Gaine Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

Deleted

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

We know BB didn't think Brown was a franchise LT. He was a stopgap.

Similarly the Texans don't see Brown as more than a stopgap, one they, like the Patriots were only willing to pay so much for.

The Raiders also dont see Brown as. Franchise LT. He's a stopgap. They are willing to pay for him in that role while also filling in at RT.

The Texans feel, I think, Davenport is a stopgap. Not as good as Brown, but there was a line they weren't willing to cross in paying Brown. They believe Kalil may be a better stopgap

CWTexansFan and maverick512000 like this.
  3. Dejaview

Dejaview All Pro

Lol, does that include ridicule of every coach, most players, the owner and FO also? You see?

4. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

There is also the unspoken issue with the Raiders in that they are moving to Vegas so they are trying to catch the eye of a whole new fan base while trying to hang on to as many current fans as they can. They can't do it with their winning record so, for now at least, they have to do it with splashy, headline grabbing signings.

HaveMercy likes this.
  5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Or they are committed to getting the best players on their team as possible when they get to Vegas.

6. banned1976

banned1976 American

I think mocking the Texans in a draft is going to be easier, at least the first four or five rounds. O’Brien has an emphasis on long, athletic and “coachable” players and the two of them, Gaine and OB are drafting for need. You just can’t look at the obvious guys. Oh, and always if there’s a whiff of a character red flag, that player doesn’t even make it on the Texans big board.

7. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

This part is very likely an ownership stance.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I don't always agree with the PFF ratings. But what I find so entertaining on this board is that members can throw accolades at the accuracy of some players' PFF ratings while entirely discounting other players' ratings as invalid.................whatever fits their narratives.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This is from THE ESPN INSIDER.............by the very well-respected senior ESPN writer, Mike Sando who annually gathers information from "insiders" (executives, scout, coaches, etc), who all give their opinions of each of the NFL organizations:

Offseason grades for all 32 NFL teams

We're deep into another NFL offseason and that means report-card time has arrived.

Come for the grades, stay for the commentary from execs, evaluators and coaches throughout the league.

We've covered all 32 teams while fully aware that each organization, each market and each situation carries its own set of opportunities and challenges.

Houston Texans
    Grade: B

Rebuilding the offensive line was the Texans' overriding responsibility this offseason. They did that by signing veteran tackle Matt Kalil before using first- and second-round picks for tackles Tytus Howard (23rd overall) and Max Scharping (56th).

"I think they improved," an evaluator said. "Guys they added in the draft come from smaller schools and are not sexy names, but they are good football players. Tytus Howard is raw and it might take him a while, but once he gets it, he has a chance to be as good or better than than any tackles drafted by anyone else."

That might soften the sting from Philly leapfrogging Houston in the first round to select tackle Andre Dillard.

Execs thought the Texans would suffer without defensive back Tyrann Mathieu, who signed with Kansas City. They also wondered what the future might hold for franchise player Jadeveon Clowney. Some thought a trade could still be in the works if a long-term deal is elusive.

"I would guess there was a point in the past when they thought J.J. Watt might be done, so they would pay Clowney and move on from Watt," an exec said. "J.J. has come back at a higher level than most of us expected. Now, they have both of them and have to rebuild the offensive line, which is why you can throw out that best-player-available talk in the draft. Sometimes, the cap and your payroll force you to draft need."

Loading up on line prospects in the draft was the cheaper alternative to paying top dollar for veteran free agents.

"When you sign those veteran guys, you could be drafting their replacements in two years anyway," an exec said.

10. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

It's not necessarily the players, it's the way the Texans go about it. The players may turn out to be great players, or at least decent, which is why you wait a few years to judge a draft, but the Texans had the same issues last year with no 1st or 2nd, and they draft not one, but two TEs. With limited picks and so many issues, that just seemed like a bad strategy.

Fast forward, we think those TEs will be decent contributors and are happy with the players themselves, but then the Texans rarely involve the TE, so we don't really know. And then they go TE again in the 3rd round in this draft. ???

When they finally have a 1st and they finally address OL, they go with a division 2A player. I don't care how many success stories of 2A players you throw out there, and Howard may turn out to be one of them, you're taking a real gamble with smaller school guys making it. It's hard enough for power 5 players.

32 teams drafted 55 non-power 5 players this past draft (1.7 per team average) and the Texans drafted 4 of them. It's fine to throw down on a long shot every once in a while, but you don't make that your base way of doing things. That seems like a bad strategy and that's the issue I have.

Lucky, steelbtexan and Texansballer74 like this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor
  11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep,

And the reason the Texans will continue to be the same old same old.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Well said

13. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

You are willing to make a middle of the pack LT the highest paid LT in NFL history!?!?!

Thank God you are no where close to the Texans Front Office. I'd rather root for a mediocre franchise, than the laughing stock of the league that you would have built.

CWTexansFan, JB and maverick512000 like this.
  14. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

So when the Pats are used as an example that supports your argument, you agree with it.

When the Pats are used as an example that negates your argument, you say the Pats are an outlier.

Got it!

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

A guy that is an upgrade at LT and is an upper tier RT is worth the $$$$, according to the Raiders. Also according to Gaine but Gaine didn't want to pay top $$$$, he just wanted to pay top 5 $$$$.

You're acting like the McNair's $$$$ is yours. You should be very happy that the Texans have the 2nd most cap space in the NFL, at the expense of the on the field product.

This really comes down to how good of an OT do you think Brown is? Last time I saw Brown he was clearing the path for a GW TD in a SB. I think he can do that as a 25 yr old LT and I know what he can do at RT and that's worth the $$$$ to me but not to you, so you will have to agree to disagree with the Raiders/Me.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The Pats are the outlier because they have GOAT's at HC/QB. They also plan for the future better than most orgs, including the Texans. Until this changes, or BB/Brady retire then you can expect the Texans to remain behind the Pats.

Example of BB's forward thinking, drafting Garappolo even though he had the GOAT already playing QB. Do you think that the Texans would ever do something like this? I dont.

17. maverick512000

That would be the same Raiders that let Khalil Mack go and then turned around and made a middle of the pack LT that will now be protecting Derek Carr, a QB that is about as far from Brady as you can get and still be called a franchise QB, the highest paid OT in history. And this is the team you want the Texans to be like? No thanks.

You keep going on and on about people acting like McNairs money is theirs and if this was baseball, no salary cap and owners can spend as much as they want, you might have an arguement but it’s not about wanting The McNairs to keep their money. It’s about not wanting the team to over pay and possibly have Osweiler 2.0 and/or put us in cap hell.

Oh and last time I saw Brown he was playing in front of the GOAT QB while being coached by the GOAT HC and possibly the GOAT Oline coach. If you can’t have a good year as a lineman under those circumstances you have no business in the NFL.

CWTexansFan and Texansballer74 like this.
  18. maverick512000

Who they traded so if Brady went down tomorrow Pats, not counting ability of the coach, would be just as screwed as the Texans if Watson went down.

Not saying they don’t plan ahead, they do, but having Brady for 17 years has given them more freedom than most teams because they can draft for depth and he restructures when they are about to have a cap issue. Even still not everything the Pats have touched has turned to gold......though it has at times deflated.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

I remember when Texian would point to our lack of free cap space as evidence of Texans FO mismanagement. We had a lot of money tied up in players, but without a QB we were nowhere near a contender.

Hopefully Gaine & BO'b have a plan.

JB and infantrycak like this.
  20. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Does the GM get a bonus based on how much cap room they have ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.