Brian Gaine Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

Insufferably optimistic? Oh, I don't suffer at all and I surely don't want to see anyone else on this MB suffer, but I realize my cheery outlook may bother some of Oscar the Grouch's offspring.

BTW, has anyone noticed what a difference being happy makes?

CWTexansFan and House of Pain like this.
  2. HaveMercy

Did you have to search awhile for that one? I liked it and I'll bet you had fun finding it. See, my plan is working already.

3. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

What plan is that?

You are mistaken if you think that was posted for your benefit. We appear to be in agreement about most things Texans.

Thought Oscar might enjoy it.

:coffee:

HaveMercy likes this.
  4. HaveMercy

Maybe 30 years ago, I was doing my job when a lady just visiting Houston from The Big Apple walked up and, with a fair amount of attitude, said "Oh, that's not how we do it in New York." I don't recall my exact response, but it was something along the lines of "Well, maybe you should go back to New York, then."

CWTexansFan and House of Pain like this.
  5. HaveMercy

Thanks, it's my Happy Thoughts plan. It really goes much deeper than Happy Thoughts, but I'll leave it there for now. I hope Oscar enjoys it, too.

6. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

Uhhhhh, that’s maybe because you never posed a question to me about quitting trying? But I digress.

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You're new to this MB obviously.

8. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Ever ask yourself why Tom Brady is willing to take pay cuts while he's considered the greatest QB the game has ever seen?

Texansballer74 likes this.
  9. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

:thinking: b/c his wife pulls down a **** ton too? Lol, i kid.

Obviously though, that is a part of it & Brady has said as much.....recently in fact. but its also b/c he's bought into Belichick the HC. They've been to the mountaintop 6 times together. All that being said, it doesn't necessarily mean he's down with Belichick the GM. there have been a few times where you knew he wasn't down...Letting go of Wes Welker....draft Jimmy G. Brady's just too image consicous to really go in on Belichick or say some passive aggressive crap ala Aaron Rodgers. Plus i'm sure there a loyalty there with Robert Kraft & the Pats fans. Several reasons why he's willing to accept less than he's worth.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

His "retired" wife makes even more money. She was the #1 paid model in the world for over a decade and is only slightly lower now. Her net worth is more than double his.

He really hasn't taken tremendously less either. He frequently restructures to lower his cap hit for a span but that has come with roster bonuses so one year his cap will be high and then 2-3 low. This season he'll be $27 mil without any of his potential bonuses.

11. HaveMercy

I've wondered about that, too. It's hard to say what motivates a man, sometimes.

The Mrs. and him alresdy have plenty of money, so that may explain part of it. I think the biggest thing might be his desire for an unassailable legacy, and part of that means leaving money on the table so the Pat's will have more to spend on the rest of the team.

steelbtexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  12. HaveMercy

Duplicate

13. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I think Brady does this b/c he knows that if he continues to win....and his best chance lies with NE...he can make this lost money up in endorsement money. The key, just keep winning.

On a side note, I only wish the players with the Astros realize that winning over the long haul could be far more valuable than the short-term financial gains on a contract with another team. The Astros could be on a 4-5 year run with this current squad that could make them one of the greatest teams the game has ever seen assembled. That's worth the idea of trying to remain as a unit......and could be far more beneficial, financially, than taking big money from another team.

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Higher the pick more the return, seems would incentivize strategy.

Every team has own draft board. Chris Ballard, Colts GM has been best last couple years, totally rebuilding defensive roster since 2017 while still adding weapons for healthy Luck. He invited a select group of media into the Colts war room and now we have a basic idea what other teams may look like as well, though I don’t know if Gaine has ever welcomed Media into his war room.

Would be healthy if Texans did something similar to help fan base better understand thinking behind their moves, expectations of players and roster construction. There are probably some valid reasons and concerns that we can only speculate about that would ease media pressure and help fan base feel included.

15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Fans care about 1 thing & you know what that is & If you're a true fan, you'll also understand most of the moves that they've made & why over the years. At the end of the day, i could give 2 shits if they drafted all 6-7th rounders. Just put a contending team on the field.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Pay cuts for a guy like Tom Brady is like a shell game. You gotta keep your eye on the ball.

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He likes winning more than money.

It's really simple.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Spot on

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Good post.

Got me to thinking...well I've already felt this way but one thing I think the Pat's do 1 million times better is use players to their strengths/ in a way beneficial to the team.

For all the talks about game plan offense here it seems OB comes out and does the same things every week.

The Pat's will use a run of the mill rb out of nowhere and he'll have a big game. Presumably because they've scouted saw something where 1 + 1 equals touchdowns and they capitalize.

Whereas it seems no matter the defense we face you can count on Miller being run like a power back.

I guess you can afford to being a mediocre drafter when you have the goat at qb and can coach your ass off.

Conversely you can be good at drafting and if the coach is taking a player who isn't that good at doing something and then does it in a way that makes that player look even worse then it doesn't really matter what players are brought in.

I think the Texans have been closer to the wrong end of the spectrum of using players to their strengths and attacking a defenses weaknesses.

Until OB shows he can move more towards the good coach category I can't get overly excited about any player they bring in.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agreed

A better OL/OL coach will make happy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.