Brian Gaine Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jan 17, 2018.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They dont want to play for the Texans and that was TB's premise.

I'm asking why and it's mostly because the Texans org doesn't number 1 goal isn't trying to put the best team possible on the field each yr, vets know this and dont want to be a part of this unless they're getting top $$$$ which the Texans org hasn't been willing to pay for over a decade. IMHO

They either A. want to play for a contender, or B. want to make the most $$$$ possible. The Texans org doesn't give vets the opportunity to accomplish either one of these goals.

2. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

It seems to me the discussion about Gaine is drawing inferences from very thin real evidence.

Personally, I like where it seems Gaine is taking the Texans, but I can't really back it up. It's just my gut feeling. I think we'll see the results gradually with the guys acquired over the next 2 seasons. Even then, the newest and youngest will take time to reach anywhere close to their potential. Notice I used the term "acquired", not "drafted", because we'll need to watch what he does with the UDFA's as well as with any veteran free agents and possible trades.

If the Texans get a player or two away from really contending, I imagine at that time they'll pursue the right fit from the veteran free agents and trades, but not really before then, because those guys will come at a cost that may not be worth what they add if we're not contending.

Also, within one or two more years, we'll see whether Cal is going to stick with OB. That will likely be the Devlin timeline, too, though this MB mostly thinks his time should have already been over.

We don't really know Gaine's attitude towards or influence over OB's position coaches. Gaine's influence may be more than we think but less than we'd like. If he does a good job of supplying talent, his influence will likely grow. But there's a lot of hidden inner-office and Cal-related delicate jockeying with that sort of influence and control.

Gaine is bound to see the pre-existing OL problems as resulting from a lack of healthy talent as well as suboptimal coaching. He's giving them talent. Gaine is also bound to see that OB really likes Devlin, so that makes replacing the OL coach a bit of a sticky wicket for Gaine.

Give it time. My instincts tell me that Gaine's influence and impact will grow. And I think that will be a good thing.

3. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

The Astros shut their detractors up with a WS - taking out 3 of the most storied franchises in the process.
    I'm sure I don't need to run through the shopping lists of the Texans and the Rockets over the years.
    A swing and a miss is better than not swinging at all.

House of Pain and steelbtexan like this.
  4. HaveMercy

In football, a swing and a miss may cost the team more than the missed swing alone. It may cost them a real chance at the plate the next time around.

Plus, the Astros transactions are coming out ahead most often. Skipping bad outcomes takes a lot of doing. I'd like to think that's the skillset Gaine will prove to be good at.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 12:04 PM
    House of Pain likes this.
  5. HaveMercy

Adding to what I just posted, I want Gaine to swing when it's the winning thing to do and NOT to swing when that's the winning thing to do.

Don't swing just to swing. All in baseball metaphors, of course.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

:ok: But pro football a very different aminal... different prime ages and longevity for one

yes I spelled that exactly as intended

7. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Every team attempts to upgrade their roster. It finally worked out for the Rams. But guess what the Rams could pull a Jaguars trick and fall back to the end of the pack.

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Texans are just entering where the Astros were around 2013- 2014 when the nucleus of their current team was being formed. The only piece missing at that point was Bregs. But there was also some luck involved in how that team was built as well. Altuve wasn't supposed to be the monster he was. We also had Verlander drop in our lap at the trade deadline. The moves the Astros made to become what they are go far beyond these signings you're talking about.

Time will tell if some of these draft picks and moves BG have made will result in us becoming serious contenders. This is only BG's 2nd offseason.

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Timeline is also huge... Astros didn't add a 'Verlander' until they were right there

frethack, CWTexansFan and Mr teX like this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Verlander didn't fall in their laps The aggressively made a trade.

Losing Aiken and getting Bregs was luck.

Recently adding Brantley/ Osuna/Pressley/Chirnos/Diaz thru trade/fa doesn't seem like a Texans type move.

Or at least it hasn't been for the last 15 years.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Verlander didn't fall in their laps The aggressively made a trade.

Losing Aiken and getting Bregs was luck.

Recently adding Brantley/ Osuna/Pressley/Chirnos/Diaz thru trade/fa doesn't seem like a Texans type move.

Or at least it hasn't been for the last 15 years.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Or not

I would take a SB appearance and a fall back. Rather than a AFC South championship and a fall back like what has continuously happened to the Texans.

thunderkyss and OptimisticTexan like this.
  13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Amen

When have the Texans org ever swung and missed?

14. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

It is well chronicled how that trade came down seconds before the deadline which is atypical for how trades are consumated on that level. Aside from that, Verlander had a full no-trade clause. So in essence, All it would've taken was a jacked up fax machine, someone missing a phone call or Verlander simply nixing the trade & it very likely wouldn't have happened despite their efforts to land him in the days weeks prior.

Luck in that he chose to come here.

15. BigBull

BigBull All Pro

Zero? The same amount they’ve won after adding all them players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Trying to confuse with facts?

Mr teX likes this.
  17. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

IMO he wanted a ring and we were his best chance.

steelbtexan and thunderkyss like this.
  18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Randy Johnson says hi

These types of trades happen all of the time in baseball at the deadline every year.

Bumgarner will be moved this year at the deadline. Hopefully to the Astros and luck won't be involved.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

At least they went for it

20. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

We're not talking about "deadline deals" we're talking about the type of deals that happen with only seconds to spare. You named 1 similar deal that happened 28 years ago. Quick name another.

You're also still discounting the fact that JV chose the Astros. IOW, the Astros could've offered the Tigers their entire farm system and could've been as aggressive as they wanted to.. it wouldn't have mattered. JV had to approve. All it could've taken for that deal to fall apart was JV's dislike of orbit.