Brian Gaine Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jan 17, 2018.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Right... and teams that pick later (21 other teams have all passed on the talent at 22) may make a decision to take a player left with a high ceiling, who's still on the board, because he may not be a plug and play guy.

As each pick ticks off the board, essentially, the next player is either higher risk or lower ceiling... given that teams picking in the first round have 5 affordable years of team control, I want them to take guys with high ceilings whenever they confidence in that individual rather than going after what they perceive to be a lesser player down the road but one that is NFL ready. I want my GM to have a big picture and not fixated on plugging holes in a dam during the draft.

2. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

well played, dale murphy...well played.

dalemurphy likes this.
  3. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

2019 NFL GM Offseason Report Cards

ATXtexanfan and ObsiWan like this.
  4. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

"He failed" seems to be quite bold a statement before the season even gets going. But this is not the 1st negative article he has written about the Texans.

6. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I am slowly getting used to this fashion of Houston bashing - and its not just football.
    It still irks me at times with some sheer stupidity but in the main, I am slowly becoming desensitized to it.
    I just can't wait to see faces with egg splattered all over them.

CWTexansFan and CloakNNNdagger like this.
  7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

since that pick led to acquiring Deshaun Watson, I would say that he fell all over the damn place to the tune of what was it 62 times? Franchise QB though no doubt about that anymore. And then knowing that- the brain trust felt that a thank you contract for Henderson, a 'Hope you get better' contract for Kalil, huge reach on Howard would be the best way to improve that issue.

(rest of comment not aimed at you Dale - just rambling from this point forth)

Blind defense of Gaine? Why am I not surprised. "leave him alone, he's the best guy for the job!!" .. I mean some people have been watching football and front offices their entire lifetimes, does it take them 4 or 5 years to say that a player taken way before his draft slot was a reach and more than likely will bust out? No - people will only bring up the one or two players that beat the odds and use that as grounds as to why THIS TIME will be different than the other 99 times. Still though people will call the 99% of negative press on this team as hateful and ignorant. LOL irony like a mother!

Last year it was "hey leave him alone, he didnt have any picks to work with okay, and he got us Justin Reid (but whiffed on everyone else) .. his free agent centerpiece? Aaron Colvin? He was a healthy scratch towards the end of the year. This year tons of money and he somehow makes the team worse! If this dude makes many more head scratching decisions everyone around these parts is going to be bald. This is Buttchins minion though a nice gopher and does what he's told and walks that company line perfectly.

Rick Smith still gets **** on around here, but the truth is that he HIT ON MOST of his 1st round draft picks and plenty of the 2nd. 1st round picks selected for need should never be projects but day one factors and this year doesnt really do much for establishing a culture for Gaine.

Oh wait, thats right it will be 4 years before anyone can really know for sure. By that time they will both have been resigned to 10 year deals for going 9-7 a couple of times.

8. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I am sure Steelbtexan will attest that I was a defender of Rick Smith for the majority of his reign.

A number of things eventually changed my mind about him. Primarily, though, it was his inability to assess the team's roster weaknesses and adequately attempt to address it in the off-season. His answer to a weakness seemed limited to the signing of one significant free agent at the position or one early round draft pick. This is why the team was dogged by poor safety play for most of a decade, IMO.

What I find refreshing about Gaine is that he clearly diagnoses the team's weaknesses and aggressively attempts to address it, not by adding a single player but by attempting to infuse the depth chart with talent... not only that, but by addressing the nature of those weaknesses. He doesn't simply add a good player to a position of need but attempts to address the particular skills missing. For example, we lacked speed and athleticism at CB this year, so he brought in speed and athleticism, letting limited athletes like KJax go. At safety, we have been getting murdered by pass catching TEs, and he addressed that issue as well.

I can not assert whether he made the "right" pick at 22 or not. However, what I have seen that I can assess (namely his understanding of the team's problems and efforts to address them in consecutive off-seasons), gives me some confidence in him.

9. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

Lol, Kelly was the only draftee that didn’t contribute last year. Great draft and he didn’t have much time to prepare for it. RS left with this team gutted. BG’s record is 11-5 with that OL. Not a bad start.

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I dont see a well run Astros org getting bashed.

They take chances on guys and participate in FA as well as make trades that improve their nucleus,

Pressly/Cole/Osuna/Diaz trades. Notice how they took a chance on a top tier closer like Osuna despite the heat they knew they would take for making thie trade.

FA's Brantley/Chirinos/Miley

Even though they have a great core Luhnow is constantly trying to improve his team through ALL avenues. I wish other teams in this town would take notice and follow Luhnow's lead.

CWTexansFan, Lucky and Texansballer74 like this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

12. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Bwhahaha has to be the funniest skit I've read on here thus far.

13. Texansballer74

When you're pretty darn good it's really easier to acquire top level players. After the Astros won it all they're fortunate to pick from top of the liter. FA wants to come here now.

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Ask yourself why FA's dont want to come play with Watson/Hopkins.

Watt/Clowney.

Do you ever see the Texans org making trades/or taking chances on guys like Osuna like Luhnow does? I dont

15. Texansballer74

They haven't won skit that's why. When you're winning championships it's easier to acquire certain players.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

How many championships had the Rams won before they added Woods/Whitworth/Sullivan/Cooks/Suh/Talib/Peters in trade/FA?

17. Texansballer74

The Rams are not getting upgrades consistently like that every year. Terrible example.

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

All sorts of reasons for choices, medical care for a child, family location, climate, city, championship record... That's assuming equal offers and not simply outbid.

There's not one player or shred of evidence to say anyone has chosen because they simply don't want to play for the Texans.

maverick512000 likes this.
  20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Are you trying to say the Texans are constantly doing everything possible to upgrade the talent on their team like the Astros do?