Brian Gaine Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

I predict a couple of guys begging us to give O’Brien a couple more years because the alignment is at least a “three year plan.” I have faith in Gaine, but absolutely ZERO in O’Brien and his loser O-line wannabe coach.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I'm hoping, against hope, that the majority of our offensive problems, outside of talent, is the QB's ability to see & communicate to the team. As said, hopefully we have a new OC & QB coach because the other guys weren't particularly good at getting our QB up to speed.

3. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

You mean the Texans Mike Devlin ?
    Why I heard a report that someone once called Devlin the "Knute Rockne of NFL Oline coachs".

4. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Well, I’m not sure how I feel about the most important pick being used in Tytus Howard. Seen some pretty good stuff on him, but he wasn’t even on my personal list of targets. I had Dillard, Taylor, Risner, and Little being my last choice. Maybe Gaine knows what he’s doing, idk...

disaacks3 and HaveMercy like this.
  5. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

In general, I love this pick because Gaine/BOB are getting their guy over drafting off what the mock drafters think. If nothing else, they will have to sink or swim based on their evaluations.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Honestly, I can't say nothing about it. I thought the Eagles were crazy for drafting Carson Wentz.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Hard to argue against this …. but I'm gonna throw it out there - OB always seems to become enchanted with a project or two at the Sr Bowl.
    How many of them have worked out in the past ?

This pick sure looks like another case of that Sr Bowl falling in love …. but he coulda gotten this prospect at least a round later if not two rounds.

Hope it works out ...

Earl34, Texansballer74 and TheKDog like this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Devlin works out Howard just like he worked out Davenport.

Whatever could go wrong?

Earl34, 281Texan and HaveMercy like this.
  9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Talent wise, how does Howard stack up against the rest of the OL?

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Well

Guys raw as can be though.

His hand placement at the Sr Bowl practices would've made a summo wrestler proud.

This can be coached out, what do you think is going to Happen to Howars with Devlin coaching him up?

TheKDog and 281Texan like this.

11. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

This is the reason why I’m not enthusiastic at all. Do I think Howard was a reach? Yeah, I do. Do I think with the right coaching he can be a great starter and beyond? Sure. But he got manhandled but sweat at the senior bowl. I don’t foresee him growing under OB and devlin

steelbtexan likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

What has Devlin done that give you any confidence in him being able to "coach up" anyone.

Since OB's been here , what player that they have drafted has exceeded expectations ?!

steelbtexan likes this.
  13. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

Time to pull for Devlin. I hope he's not past learning and developing as a coach and maker of men. The Texans really need Devlin to get better results than he's (apparently) gotten in his coaching career so far. I'm not going to denigrate Devlin, he may be a great guy we'd all like as a good friend. But we'll need to see Tytus Howard reach his potential sooner rather than later.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    CWTexansFan likes this.
  14. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

thunderkyss and disaacks3 like this.
  15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

CloakNNNdagger and AngryNateFTW like this.
  16. 281Texan

281Texan Veteran

And I heard he did well at the senior bowl. But the fact of the matter is a superior franchise with a superior GM came in and swooped our player because we pretty much broadcasted the fact that we need OL. That’s what happens when everyone and their mother (literally) talks about how bad the OL is and you do nothing in free agency or the trade market to fix it. Every team knew where we were going. Ian Rapoport even tweeted saying Dillard was our guy before philly jumped in. It’s a rookie mistake by a young GM. That’s what I can’t live with. We should all be rejoicing that we got the best pure pass blocking LT in the draft, instead we’re all sitting here wondering did we draft the next terron armstead or did we draft the next julien Davenport/highly athletic tackle that flames out of the league in 3 years. When you have that glaring of a need, to hell with your “at bats” as Gaine likes to call it. You part ways with that irrelevant day 3 pick and you take care of your golden ticket.

17. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

It sure looks to me that Gaine was "taken to the woodshed" last night. He took "a knife to a gunfight!" He was "playing checkers when Philly was playing chess!" But what makes it worse, to me anyway, is that he took Howard, a player that probably would have been there in the 2nd round for them! He didn't do what he said he would do and that's take the BPA regardless of position. He reached and took a player they probably could have gotten later! I hope I'm wrong about all of this and maybe Howard will turn out to be a good pick but, right now, it just doesn't feel that way.

281Texan, CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  18. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Manhandled by Sweat at the senior bowl? What game were you watching? I saw the complete opposite.

19. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

He's talking 1 rep in practice where Sweat ducked inside and bull rushed him and knocked him on his kiester

20. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

If that’s the case, our O-line too has “man handled” every defensive front we faced this past season. No need to draft anymore tackles or guards, we got it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.