Brian Gaine Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

The other question we have to ask is "Is 1 or 2 (subjective) percentage points enough to warrant passing on a good player at PON?"

CWTexansFan and Mangler like this.
  2. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Rookie

In other words, if the clear cut BPA is not at a position of need but, without making a big reach, another player fits well at a position of need, do you skip the BPA and take the needed player (as long as it's a small reach only)?
    If, for example, you'd be taking the player at a position of need a half dozen or so picks before he becomes the BPA...I'd say go for it.

CWTexansFan and Mangler like this.
  3. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

I wonder if there are any stats showing which position gives you the fastest return? “This is a weak O-line class” is all I hear every offseason, so isn’t the obvious answer to roll with a cornerback? For the record, I don’t believe this is a weak O-line class. In fact, it may heavier than usual giving us a better shot at finally getting one of, if not both tackle spots, or a Tackle and at a least one of the inside spots taken care of.

On the BPA question: I feel it’s only ok to pass on the BPA if a player of a need position is somehow still on the board, and it’s a tackle or guard we just can’t pass on. If the Tackle on our wish list isn’t there, go BPA.

Hell, I’d personally take a potential shutdown corner over any of the tackles or guards the Texans after thinking about selecting. I trust Crennel over Devlin any day of the week!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    OptimisticTexan and ATXtexanfan like this.
  4. banned1976

banned1976 American

I’d say trade down, if at all possible.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Who judges BPA? BPA for the Cowboys won't be the same as BPA for the Texans. All teams will assign grades according to how they view the player, and the players at a position of need will get a higher grade than those at a position of strength if equal in their eyes anywho. And they don't care how the draftniks grade them

6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

According to what Gaine has stated (numerous times I believe), they consider OL, CB, IDL and to some extent RB and WR areas they need to strengthen. I think they will target their highest rated player (within reach) of those areas. If more than one available that they have graded equally (or close) then they will look to trade down

7. banned1976

banned1976 American

I wonder, if the best offensive tackles and best corners are gone by 23, would Gaine stick with the pick and draft Josh Jacobs? Who would be on board with that? I wouldn’t mind discarding Miller and running with Jacobs/Foreman.

8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Best OT's and CB's according to whom? I wouldn't scream in rage if they drafted Jacobs at #23, but I don't think they would kick Miller to the curb if they did

steelbtexan likes this.
  9. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

I would.

281Texan and CloakNNNdagger like this.
  10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Supposedly they like him alot and he won't be available at 54

infantrycak likes this.

11. banned1976

banned1976 American

The best according to you. To any fan reading these threads.

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

IOW, anyone but the Texans?

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I doubt one or two "percentage points" will spark a conversation. Then you're basically looking at the same player & need takes precedent.

The issue is when you aren't true to your board & pass on a player you rate worthy of the 23rd pick to select someone you have graded as the 36th rated player because of need.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Hopefully they'll wait until Foreman looks Amazing in camp before they ditch Miller.

CWTexansFan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  15. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Texans screwed the pooch in winning 11 games last season.....those 11 wins did nothing more than stick them in no man's land at 23 in the draft. Those 11 wins meant nothing after the Colts handed the Texans their arses while proving the team was closer to 5 wins versus the 11 they got.

I'm still impressed with the job Gaine did in last year's draft. I don't think Gaine is going to trade up in this draft and sacrifice any of the team's 7 picks....the team just has to many holes to plug. Since I'm stuck with guessing out loud, I could see Gaine trading back for more draft capital unless Dillard somehow drops to 23.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I think it's obvious BO'b let Sean Ryan & Wes Welker develop & install the offense in that game & they gaffed it, hence their departure from HTown.

He showed them what he wanted the 2nd half of the Jags game & all they had to do was duplicate that. RPO, moving pocket, sweeps...

But nooo. They designed a standing pocket slow developing offense the Colts blew apart.

Is that because you think Dillard is that good, or because you expect him to go after the really good tackles?

JB and CWTexansFan like this.
  17. banned1976

banned1976 American

Miller is a free agent after this year. Discard was the wrong term for me to use. It would be wise to seriously think about his replacement, though.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Or the Colts are just better than the Texans.

Yes, Dillard is that good. IMHO

19. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The moment I think spit like this, I will stop posting on message boards and never watch football again.

20. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

The only time I can remember thinking this way was the s.f. game. "The Bush/VY bowl." Fearing we'd miss out on a once in a lifetime prospect. Terrified one meaningless win at the end of the season might prevent a coach and gm change.

I don't feel guilty about that ,but haven't done it since.

CWTexansFan likes this.