Brian Gaine Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yes

4. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

So we are on year 2 of gaine fixing the oline. Struck out year one. Let's hope things get done this time.

5. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

He had very few bullets in his first Draft with nothing higher than a 3rd round pick and FA was extremely thin at offensive tackle with limited cap space, but this year higher Draft picks and much more cap space for FA.

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The lets sign a bunch of cheap backups plan went as expected. Can we now say it didn't work for all of you lets give them a chance posters?

CWTexansFan likes this.
  7. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

If dav is our starting left tackle we're proper phucked.

I do want to see more of senio k. Jury is still out I think. Fulton is serviceable. Martin needs this year to prove he isn't a jag.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  8. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

There’s not much he could do about the o-line last year. The guy everyone here wanted was pursued but he decided to go somewhere else. That’s not on Gaine, and it was a blessing in disguise anyway. Gaine did a hell of a job on the draft though. I say he earned his right to a fair shake. Rick Smith had what, a decade with a leash that was about a mile long?

9. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I wouldn't completely agree with this....I think he has set the table for bridgers and quality back-ups going forward.

10. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

He made some great picks with the meager resources in last years draft. I am still hopeful Martinas Rankin can take a step up this season and at least be a solid backup.
    I don't really want to see any trading up with our first 4 picks as I think he can score some great talent to replenish our ranks and if he is as savvy as last draft, that bodes well for that.

11. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

PatDStat has been pushing this as well, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

12. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport made it clear this week the New Orleans Saints were a candidate to move up in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Ultimately, Mr. RapSheet was correct.

The Saints on Thursday night swung a trade with the Packers -- rising from No. 27 to No. 14 overall -- to grab edge rusher Marcus Davenport. To complete the deal, New Orleans agreed to give up this year's fifth-rounder (No. 147) and next year's first-round selection.
    &&&
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-trade-up-to-no-14-to-draft-marcus-davenport
    &&&
    I remember watching Marcus Davenport, relative unknown from the University of Texas-San Antonio, at last years Senior Bowl and he was really impressive so the Saints made a big move cause they felt a strong need for an edge rusher of his caliber.
    I think the Texans need a bonafide OLT even more than the Saints needed Marcus Davenport to rush QBs.
    I don't see Brian Gaine making such a bold and risky move for say a Andre Dillard even if he's crazy about Dillard, but you know that's what makes the Drafts entertaining and downright exciting somtimes. And also getting the right players at the key positions sometimes can make want-to-bes into real contenders.
    Not a prediction here just suggesting a possibility given how important it is for the Texans to prevent their franchise QB from going thru another year like 2018.

13. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I think it was an embarrassment to Texans leadership that such a promising young QB was subjected to such abuse and it is simply untenable. They definitely do not want another David Carr situation on their history books.
    They have 4 picks inside the top 90 picks this season so there really is no excuse and with Gaine pulling strings again this season I am looking forward to it with great interest although with the talent in this OL class I really don't see the need to move up. Texans need a good infusion of new young talent.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Trail.Blazr and CWTexansFan like this.
  14. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

I don't think you will ever see a fan base as excited to see a first round OL taken, then if the Texans grab one this year

15. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Agreed.
    I have seen one national pundit predict 5 OL in the first round which is entirely possible.
    With the depth of DL in this one there are going to be some opportunities for trade ups in the 2nd - not saying we will be one of them but another good OL might be there for the picking for us.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Shows although PatDStat covers the Texans, he doesn't know what he's looking at. Hopefully Gaine/BOB can see better than Pat. If not they all should be fired.

In no shape or form should Davenport ever be the starting LT for the Texans ever again.

17. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I took it as you might as well keep Davenport and find someone in the draft that will push (or replace) him.
    Dude didn't seem to be very high on this year's LT F/A class; T.Brown has slow feet (not what you want in a LT) and the other potentially available guys are pretty much JAGs.

I like the idea of cutting Kevin Johnson and giving AZ a call to see if they'll trade Peterson to us. And, he's right, Griffin needs to go.

I wouldn't trade Mercilus as he mentioned because I can't think of a better replacement if Clowney does go down this year.

Texas Jake, CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think Mercilus is fine If he is used as a rusher (WLB) and not a overage guy

OptimisticTexan and ObsiWan like this.
  19. PHILLYTEXANFAN

PHILLYTEXANFAN Saddle Up Partner

Dav wasn’t that bad when OB wasn’t bouncing him to different spots on the OL imho. At some point the OL needs continuity to get better.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

For instance Davenport stats don't look bad in the Tacks game at NEG, but when you watch the game Davenport's guy was consistently getting pressure.