Brian Gaine Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jan 17, 2018.

1. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

We're multiple versions of suck.

2. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Quote stats all you want, still doesn't mean anything.
    It's not like the Texans have a rich history of leading the league in points. 2nd highest points scored in Patriots history would be impressive. Texans history, not so much. 2nd in the NFL in points scored for 2018 would be impressive.
    The Texans weren't even top 10 in that category in 2018. But hey, use them stats the way you want to.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/

FuzzyLogic and ObsiWan like this.
  3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I think his point is if we're happy with Kubiak's offense we should be happy with BO'bs offense which is as productive based on points scored.

DocBar likes this.
  4. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

It's a simplistic point at best. Kubiak successfully did what OB wants, grind out the clock. Look back and we had tons of 12 play 7+ minute drives. Now we score on Watkins (Watson & Hopkins). We're dangerous but that does jack to rest the D or shorten the game.

When OB orchestrates back to back 99 yd & 95 yd drives (both over 10 plays) to 15 pts call me about scoring.

Surreal McCoy, ObsiWan and DocBar like this.
  5. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I've seen little data to indicate this bunch (O'Brien, Devlin, at. al.) can identify talent or develop it.
    and if this O'Brien/Gaine "alignment" means Gaine gets only the guys O'Brien/Devlin pick out, what will make this draft will produce a better O-line?

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You guys, what did you expect with the talent on the offense. They scored the 2nd most points in franchise history and y'all want Kubiak back. LOL

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

We dont know how they will do, but we're going to find out. I'm with you on Devlin, he's the guy who worked out Davenport and probably recommended him.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  8. Surreal McCoy

Surreal McCoy All Pro

I'd settle for a traffic cone. Wait...never mind :embarrass

9. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Keep it Movin!

To me, the most important job for Gains is getting under the radar players from other teams who fit and will play well at a price for the Texans. Just like BB gets Van Noy and guys like that on the cool, then people look at their production which exceeds their price. That's the mastery

10. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Some of the points were defensive scoring.
    Some were due to the fact that the defense gave the offense good field position.
    2 OT games.
    Lots of factors.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Same stuff that happens every season.

But keep on trying to play with the facts.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This, but he really needs to hit in the draft and FA this year.

13. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

And unfortunately, he didn't do too well in the first season. Colvin, Kelemete, Henderson, Fulton, Webster were the under the radar players he acquired, but none of them exceeded their price. I know, some of these guys were hurt, but simply stating they did not exceed their price.

Texansballer74 likes this.
  14. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

O'Brien doesn't really manage games. He tries to, but then it devolves into big-play moments by his elite players who cover up his deficiencies.

Proof is in the lack of rhythm, the absence of strategy for timeouts, and an inability to impose the run consistently by the 4th quarter.

Oh, and if the press asks him about those concerns, they get an eye roll from him. Just be happy with the 11 wins, ok guys? Well, like Watt said, the regular season record means nothing after a one-and-done playoff appearance. So Bill can stop ignoring deficiencies just because we're a notch higher in the pecking order than the class nerds we bullied.

Parcells was only half right when he said "You are your record." You are actually your record vs .500 and above teams.

The FA well was dry last year. We pretty much had to get players off of Craigslist.

15. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

No they don't happen every season.
    For example, look at 2008.
    The Texans had one pick six and no fumble recovered for a TD. That's 7 points scored by the defense.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/year/2008/seasontype/2
    This year, the defense scored 28 points.

Then, you look at the average starting field position that the defense and special team combine to give to the offense.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2018.htm

This past year, the Texans' average starting field position was from the 31.3 yd line while the opponents' was from their 25.5 yd line.
    That's the best on both sides of the ball for the Texans in franchise history except for 2005 (on offense only).

The short field always help in scoring.
    I believe there were at least two instances where the defense got the ball back for the offense in FG range already.

16. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Texans were like 18th in TDs scored and 15th in offensive points scored taking out defensive tds

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Middle of the pack.

Very well done considering the injuries at wr, rb, this ol and last but not least a rookie qb

18. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

The Texans gave up the most tackles (1178) in the NFL. I’m not sure what this means but it sure doesn’t sound good.

On the flip side, while we led the NFL in giving up sacks (62), Watson did well on containing the yards lost. We were third in yards lost but we did that despite giving up 11 more sacks than #1 and #2. That’s pretty good awareness on Watson I think.

19. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Yep. Fantastic. Staying right in line with mediocrity.

20. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Plenty of teams with injury problems (especially to their QB), and then there are those that are in rebuilding mode or in turmoil for various reasons.

When you take those teams out, it's more like 16 out of 24 or so, not middle of the pack.

Mediocrity is rather too optimistic of a term, IMO.