Brian Gaine Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jan 17, 2018.

1. A time to chill

A time to chill Veteran

I think the O'Brien apologists will be saying that they need more time because there were no picks in the 1st couple of rounds in the draft. Also, they will claim that this upcoming year will be O'Brien and Gaine's first year of shaping the roster the way he wants it and that it'll take time (at least 3 years). I fully expect mediocrity from here until the end of O'Brien/Gaine's tenure here. McNair won't make a change unless they win less than 7 games and I think that'll be hard to do if Watson is healthy. They'll win 7 to 9 games and that'll be just enough for the McNairs to keep O'Brien around.

2. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I think guys are confusing the E-P offense with the E-P system. Brady & the Pats are the go-to when referencing E-P but what they mostly have run is the offense mainly b/c Belichick has more or less consistently surrounded Brady with these undersized, WR's who can't stretch the field with their speed but are quick in short space & can get open quickly with short routes (Welker, Edelman, Amendola etc)...This also best compliments Brady's skills as he has not been known as a great deep ball thrower.

But they along with Manning helped pioneer the E-P system which is basically what everyone now calls the gameplan offense in which case your offense has no real identity or tendencies for defenses to zero in on thereby making it difficult to defend against. It also can look very different from week to week, team to team depending on what you're trying to exploit & your qb's skillset. With Manning it looked completely different b/c he was the opposite of Brady in that he was an excellent deepball thrower.....& the guys he was throwing to could get open deep consistently.

But like all offenses, they only run as good as the qb operating them; much more so in the E-P system than most other offenses.

So I find it funny when people say that Obrien's system is trash & the only reason we did what we did when Watson was playing is b/c BoB "changed" his offense to be more Watson friendly. Well no **** Sherlock. By definition, that's exactly what his offense in the framework of the E-P system is designed to do..change and adapt according to the skills of your qb and what the defense is giving you. It's just up until now, he hasn't had a qb worth a lick to operate it.

3. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

All the QBs that 'werent worth a lick' were hand selected by Buttchin himself up to and including Brock Osweiler. His QB carousels will be what he is known for.

He's got his contract, no need for all the edginess. Just stop with the excuse making. X's and O 's be damned it doesn't explain the plethora of mishaps he's made as a coach.

The Tacks just fired a guy who took his team to the 2nd round and 'achieved' a 9-7 record. Not good enough for the tacks but good enough for us? Yuck.

People are painting O'Brien as some coaching savant that hasnt had any talent to work with and had a mean GM holding him down. Give me a break.

I respect your argument Tex, you are a great contributor here, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Too many ooops moments to simply sweep under the rug.

4. banned1976

banned1976 American

I better not say anything nice about O'Brien or else I'll be labeled a nasty "apologist" and that might heart my tender feelings. I mean, really, he should have done a much better job than 4-12. He had perfectly capable talent to work with. It's not like there were any injuries, or anything like that. And by God, if the Texans don't finish 2018 season at least 12-4 OB should be run out of town!

Seriously, some of you people act like being a HC in the NFL is easy and the other teams and their coaches suck eggs.

I've been critical of O'Brien before, and I do have expectations. But they're realistic. And btw, I hoped he would have been fired. Right along with his entire coaching staff and Rick Smith. But it didn't happen. Oh well...life goes on. Just a minor disappointment in my life. But my stocks were up 27% in 2017 so I'm happy.

I hope within a couple years the Texans will be Super Bowl contenders. If not, start over with new people.

macho grande likes this.
  5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Major Gaines are sure to follow :hides:

ATXtexanfan and Thorn like this.
  6. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

There's no way you know any of the bolded to be fact...but Like really, what does the bolded even matter now? considering that A. he was able to get the most out of those qbs at the time & b., we have our future guy here now who is all in with him. You guys love to bring this up & we've been through this ad nauseum, but it literally matters none.

There's no edginess, its just taking all things into consideration is all; something that most of you guys who despise him refuse to do. It's not like i was campaigning for him to get an extension but you're right, he got his contract extension...STOP MENTIONING IT, its done & we know you're upset about it.

& get your facts straight. The main reason the tacks fired Mularkey is for failing to develop their franchise qb who regressed under his watch......not the case here.

Noone's painting BoB as anything except you guys.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I would be much more concerned over these issues rather that O'Brien not using the "correct" system. Rookie tendencies tend not to be caught up with by opponents until they have an offseason to give them the adequate time to thoroughly evaluate and prepare their counters. Dak Prescott's 2nd year dip was not all of a sudden on the shoulders of the same coaches that brought him success the year before.

Texas Jake and JB like this.
  8. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Mathematically Possible

I like you... the conspiracy stuff you come up with keeps me in good spirits....but, you are judging it's all you do with this team. If the McNair's would have shown up you would have been "Man, they have Gaine on a short leash, can't even let the man have a press conference without interfering", "just waiting and watching for him to mess up so they can put Ricky McNair back at GM"...etc.

It's what makes you lovable - you can see the worst in every situation. Maybe Amazon has a Dash button for tin foil?

Malloy, santo, Mr teX and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

I assure you I’m no obrien “apologist” as a matter of fact, I’m probably more of an O’Brien hater, but are you serious?

This is Brian Gaine’s first time as a GM, EVER! He doesn’t have the pleasure of having ANY 1st or 2nd round draft picks. It’s ridiculous to demand a final product when the guy will only have FA and late round picks to work with for a franchise with pot holes in damn near every direction. The entire offensive line (minus Nick Martin) is compiled of toilet paper, and our secondary is a complete joke. It’s going to take multiple seasons to fill most of our needs.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

So you dont think it's weird.

Duly noted

Try to look past your opinions of me and objectively look at what I'm saying. I know this may be impossible for you. But atleast give it a try.

11. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Mathematically Possible

The only 'theory' I implied is that you find something weird with damn near every thing they do.

Also mentioned liking you (as a poster and a friend, let's not make this weird) and enjoying your post even if I don't agree with a lot of what you say.

Sensitive much?

And on point - No I don't find it weird, crap happens.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Not sensitive at all.

Agree to disagree, can you ever remember a GM that introduced himself at his PC announcing his hiring in any org in the NFL. I cant Yep, I'll stand by weird and there's no conspiracy theory here.

13. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

The problem with this is that OBrien has been here 4 years and Gaine was here 3.

Gaine went so far as to say that the picks during his tenure were Texans picks and that he'd "continue to get OB good players."

So either Rick sabotaged everything with McNair not caring, or we are gonna see more of the same.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

:lol:

When I was a moderator on another board, I would have issued you a warning for that ****. LOLOLOL

15. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

So to be clear .. OBrien is a great coach who has been hampered by bad players, a meddling owner and a GM who was 'misaligned'?

Can the guy walk on water too? :kitten:

Lucky O'Brien didn't work for Tennessee, they take their QB development pretty serious.

Lucky for us we have DeGoat Watson. A Rick Smith guy .. cough .. cough..

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The McNair's made a safe hire.

Very McNair like

macho grande and TheKDog like this.
  17. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Strange that the defense had held up until last year. I guess the owner only meddled on offense?

And the defense doesn't have nearly as many holes. Basically just corner and safety. How did Crennel do it despite Rick?

18. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

He is very scared to clean house for some reason

steelbtexan likes this.
  19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Same with Ricky when Kubiak was fired.

It's maddening and I like BOB but thought it was time to clean house.

texanhead08 and Mangler like this.
  20. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

DeGoat Watson
    Nice, nice, very nice
    :clap:

Mangler likes this.