Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only 'theory' I implied is that you find something weird with damn near every thing they do.

Also mentioned liking you (as a poster and a friend, let's not make this weird) and enjoying your post even if I don't agree with a lot of what you say.

Sensitive much?

And on point - No I don't find it weird, crap happens.

The only 'theory' I implied is that you find something weird with damn near every thing they do.

Also mentioned liking you (as a poster and a friend, let's not make this weird) and enjoying your post even if I don't agree with a lot of what you say.

Sensitive much?

And on point - No I don't find it weird, crap happens.

Not sensitive at all.

Agree to disagree, can you ever remember a GM that introduced himself at his PC announcing his hiring in any org in the NFL. I cant Yep, I'll stand by weird and there's no conspiracy theory here.

i assure you I’m no Onriwn “apologist” as a matter of fact, I’m probably more of an O’Brien hater, but are you serious?

This is Brian Gaine’s first time as a GM, EVER! He doesn’t have the pleasure of having ANY 1st or 2nd round draft picks. It’s ridiculous to demand a final product when the guy will only have FA and late round picks to work with for a franchise with pot holes in damn near every direction. The entire offensive line (minus Nick Martin) is compiled of toilet paper, our secondary is a complete joke. It’s going to take multiple seasons to fill most of our needs.

The problem with this is that OBrien has been here 4 years and Gaine was here 3.

Gaine went so far as to say that the picks during his tenure were Texans picks and that he'd "continue to get OB good players."

So either Rick sabotaged everything with McNair not caring, or we are gonna see more of the same.

So to be clear .. OBrien is a great coach who has been hampered by bad players, a meddling owner and a GM who was 'misaligned'?

Can the guy walk on water too? :kitten:

Lucky O'Brien didn't work for Tennessee, they take their QB development pretty serious.

Lucky for us we have DeGoat Watson. A Rick Smith guy .. cough .. cough..

The problem with this is that OBrien has been here 4 years and Gaine was here 3.

Gaine went so far as to say that the picks during his tenure were Texans picks and that he'd "continue to get OB good players."

So either Rick sabotaged everything with McNair not caring, or we are gonna see more of the same.

The McNair's made a safe hire.

Very McNair like

So to be clear .. OBrien is a great coach who has been hampered by bad players, a meddling owner and a GM who was 'misaligned'?

Lucky O'Brien didn't work for Tennessee, they take their QB development pretty serious.

Strange that the defense had held up until last year. I guess the owner only meddled on offense?

And the defense doesn't have nearly as many holes. Basically just corner and safety. How did Crennel do it despite Rick?

DeGoat Watson
Nice, nice, very nice
:clap:

I just want to put out some clarifying info about what the Tacks did with their coach. He was told that he was the coach going forward however, when he wouldn't fire a few of his other coaches he was then let go. Management was pretty happy they made the playoffs and won at least one game. When he wouldn't do what he was told to do, then he was fired. Pretty much like what would happen to any of us if we refused to do what upper management told us to do.

I just want to put out some clarifying info about what the Tacks did with their coach. He was told that he was the coach going forward however, when he wouldn't fire a few of his other coaches he was then let go. Management was pretty happy they made the playoffs and won at least one game. When he wouldn't do what he was told to do, then he was fired. Pretty much like what would happen to any of us if we refused to do what upper management told us to do.
Oh, you mean like that time Kubiak was let go for not doing what upper management wanted him to do in benching Schaub for Keenum? Too bad some posters here will pretend to have forgotten all about that, as it doesn’t fit their agenda.

So you dont think it's weird.

Duly noted

Try to look past your opinions of me and objectively look at what I'm saying. I know this may be impossible for you. But atleast give it a try.

I don't know about weird, but it was certainly a first... they usually show up even for coordinator hires I believe. I wonder when someone will finally release info on what kept them away...

Oh, you mean like that time Kubiak was let go for not doing what upper management wanted him to do in benching Schaub for Keenum? Too bad some posters here will pretend to have forgotten all about that, as it doesn’t fit their agenda.

His other 7 year history along with his last season had a lot more to do with that. He had finally gotten the team to higher peaks and then it trended downward into the worst team in the league. The HC pretty much always gets fired any time that happens unless its their first or second season with the team, and even that's a stretch now days. I think every Texans HC ought to know by now that they'll get a minimum of 4 years here unless your team is a complete train wreck the entire time.

Can someone explain what Brian Gaines's strengths are? I'm just not seeing anything really other than being around in a lot of places. I just don't see where he shines at. It feels like a Texans hire where OB is getting a yes man to control sort of like what Kubiak received when Smith got introduced after his recommendation. I think the Texans should have looked long and hard and put a lot of words out there to see who all might be interested. I'll give this guy a chance, but I fail in seeing any real upside in him as it stands now. I'll just hope for the best.

Can someone explain what Brian Gaines's strengths are? I'm just not seeing anything really other than being around in a lot of places. I just don't see where he shines at. It feels like a Texans hire where OB is getting a yes man to control sort of like what Kubiak received when Smith got introduced after his recommendation. I think the Texans should have looked long and hard and put a lot of words out there to see who all might be interested. I'll give this guy a chance, but I fail in seeing any real upside in him as it stands now. I'll just hope for the best.

From what I've heard and read its player evaluation. Be a good find if we could read some of his player evals over the years, I know management did when they made this decision.

From what I've heard and read its player evaluation. Be a good find if we could read some of his player evals over the years, I know management did when they made this decision.

Yeah, but will he be able to actively persue guys around the league and understand who works well in OB's scheme where he creatively brings in players through trades? That was the one thing I hated about Smith the most was his inability to constantly deal. He had an off season or two where he did and we seemed to make a lot of strides when he got desperate enough to. I don't want another guy that is dead set on trying to follow the Steelers model all over again. Gaines just feels like another Smith 2.0 I could be totally wrong, but that's just how it feels.

When he wouldn't do what he was told to do, then he was fired. Pretty much like what would happen to any of us if we refused to do what upper management told us to do.
A lot of us would quit if we were micro-managed and put on the path to failure. Of course, we don’t have guaranteed multi-million $$$ contracts. Else we would wait to be fired and get the money.

The setup is still the same as Smithiak.

Hopefully this time around BOB/Gaine will be better at their jobs.

Good news is, the street FA's that Ricky signed were found by Gaine and the pro personnel dept.

Yeah, but will he be able to actively persue guys around the league and understand who works well in OB's scheme where he creatively brings in players through trades? That was the one thing I hated about Smith the most was his inability to constantly deal. He had an off season or two where he did and we seemed to make a lot of strides when he got desperate enough to. I don't want another guy that is dead set on trying to follow the Steelers model all over again. Gaines just feels like another Smith 2.0 I could be totally wrong, but that's just how it feels.

Time will tell if Gaine can do this.

He learned from one of the best in Parcells.

It really bothered me when the Texans for instance in 2009 had their 1st winning season and basically took the next offseason off, (Kubiak even had an elective surgery during the combine.) they were all content with the 1st winning record in franchise history against one of the easiest schedules I've seen. So it really wasn't surprising that the 6-10 2010 season followed and both Smith/Kubiak should've been fired right then for resting on their 2009 laurels. But that's history and obviously not the way the McNair's do business.

2017 was a repeat of 2010 and although I like BOB, McNair should've cleaned house and started over anew.

Last edited:
I think guys are confusing the E-P offense with the E-P system. Brady & the Pats are the go-to when referencing E-P but what they mostly have run is the offense mainly b/c Belichick has more or less consistently surrounded Brady with these undersized, WR's who can't stretch the field with their speed but are quick in short space & can get open quickly with short routes (Welker, Edelman, Amendola etc)...This also best compliments Brady's skills as he has not been known as a great deep ball thrower.

But they along with Manning helped pioneer the E-P system which is basically what everyone now calls the gameplan offense in which case your offense has no real identity or tendencies for defenses to zero in on thereby making it difficult to defend against. It also can look very different from week to week, team to team depending on what you're trying to exploit & your qb's skillset. With Manning it looked completely different b/c he was the opposite of Brady in that he was an excellent deepball thrower.....& the guys he was throwing to could get open deep consistently.

But like all offenses, they only run as good as the qb operating them; much more so in the E-P system than most other offenses.

So I find it funny when people say that Obrien's system is trash & the only reason we did what we did when Watson was playing is b/c BoB "changed" his offense to be more Watson friendly. Well no **** Sherlock. By definition, that's exactly what his offense in the framework of the E-P system is designed to do..change and adapt according to the skills of your qb and what the defense is giving you. It's just up until now, he hasn't had a qb worth a lick to operate it.

I'm not sure if you are referring to my mention of the EP system, but here is the best article that I've seen about the Patriots version of it (I've posted this one before):

Speak My Language

As the players and schemes have changed, it's the way the Patriots talk that's continued their offensive dominance

New England’s offense is a member of the NFL’s third offensive family, the Erhardt-Perkins system. The offense was named after the two men, Ron Erhardt and Ray Perkins, who developed it while working for the Patriots under head coach Chuck Fairbanks in the 1970s. According to Perkins, it was assembled in the same way most such systems are developed. “I don’t look at it as us inventing it,” he explained. “I look at it as a bunch of coaches sitting in rooms late at night organizing and getting things together to help players be successful.”

The backbone of the Erhardt-Perkins system is that plays — pass plays in particular — are not organized by a route tree or by calling a single receiver’s route, but by what coaches refer to as “concepts.” Each play has a name, and that name conjures up an image for both the quarterback and the other players on offense. And, most importantly, the concept can be called from almost any formation or set. Who does what changes, but the theory and tactics driving the play do not. “In essence, you’re running the same play,” said Perkins. “You’re just giving them some window-dressing to make it look different.”

The way the Patriots have evolved the system is adaptable to whatever players they currently have on the roster.

The consistent keys, though, are a HoF QB and HoF HC.

When I mentioned it earlier, there is clear regression with every QB that O'Brien has worked with in Houston as they learn more of his version of the system (Watson being the exception, but if we're honest, a lot of his success was due to his natural abilities to improv). O'Brien's best QB games seem to be those where he has to quickly adapt to the skills of the individual QB and not have them conform to his system. 'cak has provided many points about this consistent regression along with supporting evidence, so I'm not going to rehash and regurgitate it here.

The jury is still out about O'Brien being a so-called "QB guru", which is a media tag with absolutely no evidence behind it. Kubiak's career clearly revealed him to be a QB whisperer. O'Brien, not so much, at least at this point. Heck, at this point, it is questionable if O'Brien is all that of an OC. His offenses have regressed every year, but I give him a mulligan for Brock (even though he was part of the brain trust that brought him here). That said, Savage is ALL on him, and he had the dude here for four seasons. Even his diehard supporters have to question his judgment there.

Now he's got Watson, and we know this kid has the potential that can only get better with the right coaching. He obviously likes O'Brien and they seem to have good chemistry. Now, without a GM "undermining" him, we will know if O'Brien is all that or not. No more excuses.

Just for gits and shiggles...does anyone else think that Brian Gaine saves Mr. Frodo' s a** in his free time?
4812a45ee65052905807d17975d7abb9.jpg
ac197c87edda1ab40c2f2951b9df6db5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Good news is, the street FA's that Ricky signed were found by Gaine and the pro personnel dept.

Are you saying we have Gaine to thank for Jeff Allen, Chris Clark, Tony Bergstrom and Rahim Moore?

Are you saying we have Gaine to thank for Jeff Allen, Chris Clark, Tony Bergstrom and Rahim Moore?

Not Clark

But possibly the rest. (I just threw up in my mouth a little)

Hopefully Ricky wasn't following Gaine's advice

There is actually decent talent on the defense still, reflection of Crennel's input.

Offense outside of Watson, Hopkins, and Fuller? Not so much. I mean, not at all.

Just remember SteelB you are on record for endorsing this hire.

Just remember SteelB you are on record for endorsing this hire.

I've also seen steelb endorse a more thorough search for a gm previous to the hire of gaine. Gaine wasn't my top choice as I liked Wolfe and Caserio based on everything I read and knew - I don't wanna speak for steelb- but I think he felt the same.

Gaine probably wasn't our TOP choice but he was in the top 3-4 options. Either way, Rick is no longer the gm and I'm thrilled about that.

This was the conservative safe pick by our franchise. Maybe to safe. I guess we'll see.

Steelbtexan said #1 Caserio, #2 Gaine.

Ahh ok - I hadn't seen that for certain. Either way Rick is out the door (mostly) and I've wanted that for years.

Even if Gaine wasn't the best choice it's only fair to give him a clean slate and I'm willing to do that.

I think all this is lining up for a make or break season for Ob.

I've also seen steelb endorse a more thorough search for a gm previous to the hire of gaine. Gaine wasn't my top choice as I liked Wolfe and Caserio based on everything I read and knew - I don't wanna speak for steelb- but I think he felt the same.

Gaine probably wasn't our TOP choice but he was in the top 3-4 options. Either way, Rick is no longer the gm and I'm thrilled about that.

This was the conservative safe pick by our franchise. Maybe to safe. I guess we'll see.

They didn't even wait to interview guys like Caserio

On a side note - I found it peculiar that ob and the mcnair's weren't present for the gaine press conference.

Maybe that happens often but I can't remember ever seeing it with us or other teams.

Yup. Hire a firm to find the best candidate. Interview 2 guys. Hire in less then 2 weeks. Not really an inspiring search effort. Again, they took the easy route.

Incidentally that's the same way they hired OBrien.

They should interview tons of guys at least just to hear what their plans would be. Could be eye opening to an owner who doesn't seem to know anything

On a side note - I found it peculiar that ob and the mcnair's weren't present for the gaine press conference.

Good point, not just the McNairs were absent, all 4 decision makers missed it.

What's also unusual is someone returning to a team less than 8 most after leaving it.

McClain said it was because the Texans wanted it to be Gaine’s day; with no distractions.

Could be but I doubt it. McClain typically makes it up as he goes. For me there are 2 conclusions:

-Mcnair's health is rapidly deteriorating or

-McNair wants to be as anonymous as possible after his "inmates" comment.

None of that explains the absence of all the top texans decision makers at his hiring conference. Again, this isn't something I would normally pay much attention to but it doesn't seem "standard."

Steelbtexan said #1 Caserio, #2 Gaine.

I said Caserio and Gaine were my #1 and #2 choices in that order. Cak was just trying to misrepresent my post.

I have a grand total of 0 insider info.

Although I know some on this MB that do have some insider info.

Could be but I doubt it. McClain typically makes it up as he goes. For me there are 2 conclusions:

-Mcnair's health is rapidly deteriorating or

-McNair wants to be as anonymous as possible after his "inmates" comment.

None of that explains the absence of all the top texans decision makers at his hiring conference. Again, this isn't something I would normally pay much attention to but it doesn't seem "standard."

If McNair was having treatments on that day, you would think he would've scheduled the PC at a time that he could make it. Even if this is wrong and McNair had to have the treatments at the same exact time that the new GM of his 3 billion dollar enterprise was being introduced, it's only 5 mins from MDA or Methodist to NRG. You would've thought Cal would've made the trek while his dad was having treatments. # Strange

You have to wonder if the McNair's are truly happy hiring Gaine. Oh well, Ricky will be back next yr (His words not mine) so the McNair's will be happy.

Question, did the McNair's show up at the Casserly/Smith hiring PC's?

If McNair was having treatments on that day, you would think he would've scheduled the PC at a time that he could make it. Even if this is wrong and McNair had to have the treatments at the same exact time that the new GM of his 3 billion dollar enterprise was being introduced, it's only 5 mins from MDA or Methodist to NRG. You would've thought Cal would've made the trek while his dad was having treatments. # Strange

You have to wonder if the McNair's are truly happy hiring Gaine. Oh well, Ricky will be back next yr (His words not mine) so the McNair's will be happy.

Question, did the McNair's show up at the Casserly/Smith hiring PC's?

Ahh ok - I hadn't seen that for certain. Either way Rick is out the door (mostly) and I've wanted that for years.

Even if Gaine wasn't the best choice it's only fair to give him a clean slate and I'm willing to do that.

I think all this is lining up for a make or break season for Ob.

Everybody should give Gaine a clean slate. Quite a few on this MB wont.

This is a 2-3 yr project to fix Ricky's incompetence, so hopefully they give Gaine/BOB the time to put the team they want on the field.

Do you think this will happen?

Everybody should give Gaine a clean slate. Quite a few on this MB wont.

This is a 2-3 yr project to fix Ricky's incompetence, so hopefully they give Gaine/BOB the time to put the team they want on the field.

Do you think this will happen?

2-3 years?

That’s a bit of a stretch, no?

2-3 years?

That’s a bit of a stretch, no?

Be honest, looking at all of the holes on the team and lack of draft picks do you honestly think it wont take this yrs draft/FA, next yrs draft/FA and maybe even 2020's draft/FA to get the mess that Ricky left behind?

This doesn't even include the worst case scenarios like, what if Watson doesn't make it back or is unable to play a full healthy season? Or if Clowney is signed to a huge contract (After 3 knee surgeries) and his knee blows out in a couple of yrs like CnD has predicted.

Best case scenario is the team will be good in 2-3 yrs. Next yr is an 8-8, 7-9 wash at best. Worst case is Watson/Clowney can't stay healthy and if that happens Gain/BOB will both be fired which will make some around here very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back