Brian Gaine Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jan 17, 2018.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They are grading themselves by W-L's which is how is should be. Using this grading system they will probably get a D or F next yr. Give them a couple of yrs then judge them since last yrs Texans grade was 4-12 due to injuries/depth/lack of talent.

Mangler likes this.
  2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Traumatic?

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Cancer isn't contagious..........would not explain why Cal couldn't find 15 minutes to support the new GM.

4. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

From this transcript:

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

One explanation could be a simple lack of class.

Another explanation could be Gaine is keeping Ricky's seat warm.

Yet another could be that Enos has been acting as a defacto GM for yrs.

Of course it also could be that Enos could be busy licking Boss Hogg's boots.

Any number of things.

6. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk DieHard Texan!

The bolded part is exactly what you want. Clear vision. Coach should know who will fit his philosophy. After a couple years of BOB and Gaine, we should know whether or not O'Brien fully has what it takes. If we aren't deep in the playoffs and true contenders by 2020, then it's time to move on from them both. No more butting heads between front office and coaching staff, get the guys you think fit your system and implement the system. With Watson, Hopkins, Fuller, Ellington Miller, Foreman and number 89 (name slips my mind), the offense should be set outside of Oline which will hopefully be high priority this year. Next year we need to address the secondary and get someone in here ready to replace a couple of key guys on the front 7. If Watt, Merci, Clowney, Cole, Cunningham, McKinney and the likes can put up the pressure, we won't need to worry too much about secondary in the upcoming year which is why I place priority on Oline.

ObsiWan and TheKDog like this.
  7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I actually love this quote.

It's a big difference from the days where the HC had an elective surgery during the scouting combine.

zshawn10 likes this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agreed about the OL,

After reading the transcript, I'm pretty sure Gaine is looking to add talent to the secondary in FA this yr and fix the OL over the next 2 yrs in the draft/FA. I could be wrong.

BTW, I highly doubt Foreman makes it back.

Perki-Perk likes this.
  9. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Well Bob McNair already had cancer so my first thought was a possible relapse. Emphasis on "first thought"
    But even if that's not that case, the elder McNair is just that, elder. So a medical condition outside of cancer could be a possible concern.
    And theoretically, if it's a medical situation I don't think it's unreasonable to think a son might want to be with his father instead of a press conference.

At any rate, my statement was only that it made me wonder, not that I believe it to be the case.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Could be perfectly innocent. But not in your world.

Malloy likes this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Could be,

I'm not judging, I think you would agree it's weird though. Certainly not how most orgs go about their business.

12. CloakNNNdagger

"Football-aholic"...........has a nice ring..........with a contrast to the "old"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Brian Gaine combines ambition, pragmatism as Texans' new GM

As Texans GM, Gaine eyes 'championship-caliber' play
    By Brian T. Smith, Houston Chronicle

January 17, 2018 Updated: January 17, 2018 11:05pm
    Addressing the big picture in his introductory news conference Wednesday, new GM Brian Gaine said he wants the Texans to be a first-class operation in all respects.

Detailed.

Focused.

Driven.

If the Brian Gaine era eventually resembles his debut press conference, the Texans' new general manager might actually lift Bob McNair's franchise to the next stage of NFL life.

There is a lot of work to be done on Kirby Drive. Emphasis on a lot. The man who will follow Rick Smith in the book of Texans history sounded Wednesday like the football-aholic the organization has long needed.

Heck, had the sidewalks leading into NRG Stadium been iced, I wouldn't have been surprised to see the New York native shoveling away, chopping up the frozen paths, and clearing the way toward something warmer, brighter … and more victorious.

"If we're going to ask the coaches and the players to reach levels of a first-class performance, then that's going to be asked of the rest of the operation as well. So that's my task … to make sure that we're a first-class operation, football operation," said Gaine, sitting behind a table that now belonged to him. "Not just on the team and not with the types of players that we bring in but also within the football operation."

Well said, new GM.

Some of you, understandably, are going to want instant answers about Gaine. What his hire means for the football team you love to love/hate. How this crazy new "alignment" thing with Bill O'Brien is really going to work out.

I must admit that's humanly impossible right now.

It's going to take months to get an initial feel for Gaine's work and personal system, then years to properly evaluate the man replacing Smith, who was given 12 way-too-long years in the pursuit of something more than mediocrity.

Pragmatic demeanor

I can tell you this, though. Gaine didn't say anything he's going to regret Wednesday, nor did he issue any immediate lofty promises he won't be able to keep.

"How are we going to improve the roster to create a championship-caliber performance on Sundays?" said Gaine, smartly avoiding any mention of the Texans competing for a Super Bowl title in the immediate future.

While the entire 2018 NFL calendar will soon be turned into a lengthy checklist of things the new guy either nailed or failed at - it can be a thankless and trying job unless you win a couple playoff games every year; just ask Smith - there was promise in Gaine's initial chat with the friendly locals who love to ask questions.

Smith always alternated between smooth and slick, and that was one of the many issues that tripped him up in the end.

Gaine was thorough, pragmatic and blue collarish.

He wasn't running for mayor or constantly trying to assure you that everything was going to be OK on Kirby if you just stopped worrying and asking questions about the Texans.

He answered a query about Deshaun Watson's woeful offensive line with a reply that actually made real-world sense.

THE REST OF THE STORY

13. CloakNNNdagger

Texans' new general manager watching plenty of tape, getting up to speed
    Previous experience with team helpful as needs determined
    By John McClain, Houston Chronicle

January 17, 2018 Updated: January 17, 2018 9:00pm Brian Gaine has been busy since starting his new job. "From an operational standpoint, it's all-encompassing - a lot of meetings, a lot of calendaring, a lot of scheduling, a lot of preparation."
    The first time new Texans general manager Brian Gaine met with the media Wednesday, he declined to discuss specific positions that need upgrading or mention specific players who need to be replaced.

While coach Bill O'Brien is hiring assistant coaches and getting ready for his staff to coach at the Senior Bowl next week, Gaine is already watching tape to evaluate the roster after a 4-12 season.

Gaine has an advantage because he worked on four drafts and four free-agent periods during his three years (2014-16) as the Texans' director of pro personnel and director of player personnel under his predecessor, Rick Smith.

"Player evaluation, knowing exactly what we have on the team so that we can make decisions as it relates to what's available in free agency and the draft," Gaine said about what he's been doing since he was hired Saturday. "From an operational standpoint, it's all-encompassing - a lot of meetings, a lot of calendaring, a lot of scheduling, a lot of preparation."It's no secret what the Texans need. It's a matter of what Gaine and O'Brien want to prioritize in free agency and the draft.

Every decision Gaine makes with the offense has to be done with second-year quarterback Deshaun Watson in mind.

We all know the Texans need to rebuild their offensive line and make sure they have at least three new starters, possibly four.

The most important position to improve in the offseason is left tackle, where five players started at least one game last season. If Julién Davenport can handle right tackle in his second season, Gaine and O'Brien can target the left side - Watson's blind side.

"We'll make decisions in terms of impacting our roster not just for one position, but it's clear that we have to put some players around him to help him succeed," Gaine said.

Mission statement

Gaine went on to explain his mission statement that's supposed to return the Texans to the playoffs and help them compete for another AFC South title in what should be an improved division.

"The offensive line and the defensive line are critical," he said. "We'll always be looking for players to help us impact winning performances in offensive and defensive linemen.

"The running game's critical for the impact it has on controlling down and distance (and) the passing game. If you can run the ball, it's only going to help the passing game.

"We're going to be looking for explosive athletes that can make plays in space and equally deter plays that are made in space.

"We're going to be looking for pressure players, guys that can get to the quarterback. Equally, players on offense that can (stretch) the defense vertically and horizontally relating to speed.

"We're looking for guys that can run and cover and stretch the perimeter. Obviously, vertically stretch the defense.

"Then, the last one, is (players for) fourth down and special teams."

Based on Gaine's principles, let's look at the offense first.

Gaine's got his quarterback, of course. The offensive line has to be improved across the board. They've got explosive receivers, but DeAndre Hopkins is the only one who's durable. They need a tight end who can block and catch. And they need to add a running back who's got stop-watch speed and excellent hands to make him a legitimate threat in and out of the backfield.

Defensively, the Texans need for the defensive line to get healthy, and they have to add some depth.

The linebackers should be the strength of a 3-4 defense. With Whitney Mercilus healthy and Zach Cunningham and Dylan Cole entering their second seasons to go with Jadeveon Clowney and Benardrick McKinney, this should be an area of strength.

The Texans also need an end or outside linebacker who can rush the passer. He can be undersized and not a full-time player, but in passing situations, they need someone who can help pressure the quarterback.

And then there's the secondary. They need to sign or use a third-round pick on a cornerback with speed. They can sign or use a third- or fourth-round pick on a safety who can hit and cover. Come to think of it, they should draft a corner and safety and sign one of each in free agency.

Gaine mentioned special teams, which have been awful since O'Brien became the coach in 2014. Brad Seely, 61, was hired as O'Brien's third special teams coach in place of the fired Larry Izzo.

The Texans are Seely's eighth team. He spent 10 years with New England, where he worked with O'Brien for two years.

'Collaborative process'

THE REST OF THE STORY

Perki-Perk likes this.
  14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Free agency and trading begins March 14. Until then, it's all talk and no show. Gaine making hopeful statements is part of the talk, not the show.

15. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I'm taking the wait and see approach. Am I thrilled by the signing? No. Am I hopeful? Yeah. Trial by fire here but I'm mostly curious as to how he will handle contracts (Clowney, Cushing, and Allen) and FA.

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I figure just be optimistic because a) he's not Rick Smith, and b) we don't know until we know.

At least we will have a clear understanding of who to praise and/or blame with the future of this team. And that would be the 'man with a vision', Bill O'Brien.

adama51 and banned1976 like this.
  17. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Silver lining? No more O'Brien apologists. We will find out real fast what these boys know about talent evaluation. It won't take years. A lasting impression needs to be felt this year, this draft. Otherwise instead of a revamp you're looking at a full blown rebuild and that is nauseating to think about.

Team is close, they just have to hope they don't get cute.

adama51 likes this.
  18. Double Barrel

My biggest concern is Watson with regards to his development and keeping him healthy. We have waited way too long to finally land a good (potentially great) QB, and I'd hate to see him take a step back if this coaching staff and FO doesn't have its act together.

We should know in 2018 how he's developing since it will be rather obvious.

Texansballer74 and Mangler like this.
  19. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Deshaun Watson is the last player I’d worry about having any type of issue, it’s the inept “protection” they have the nerve to try to pass as his offensive line. I agree about the FO and coaching staff being detrimental to Watson’s success though, but a guy like him almost doesn’t even need a coach. Almost every big play he made came from his ability to improvise, so whatever dumbass play call O’Brien made probably had very little to do with the outcome.

Texansballer74 and Double Barrel like this.
  20. Double Barrel

While I agree with you about Watson, there should be some concern about O'Brien pushing his EP system hard instead of the collaborative effort they had in 2017. How much of Watson's college plays will be incorporated into the playbook in 2018? It was a necessity in 2017, but we will see in 2018 how much of it filters out. Coaching can make or break young talent.

And Watson's health has to be a concern with two 'tender' knees and a Swiss cheese offensive line. The NFL is a film-study league and his tendencies will be analyzed, so there will be situations where he is forced to stay in the pocket to limit his mobility. If the o-line is not upgraded, Watson will pay a price for it.