Brian Gaine Fired

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Speedy, Jun 7, 2019.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Pretty obvious that on this board you either believe that OB is the root of all evil or you're a blind dumbass that thinks he does no wrong.

Good Lord people, is common sense so hard?

2. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Please enlighten me on all these times I have come to his rescue. If you are going to make accusations at least back them up with something. Or did you mean I came to TK's rescue, in which case I'm even more confused.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

He clearly states that you come to OB's rescue constantly, which I read to mean that you're not an everything Texans hater like many on here

maverick512000 likes this.
  4. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

And on this darn board you have seen me give Obrien credit as well. Let's not act as if we have a 1000 members chiming in on this site every day. We all should know, those faithful ones ,who post on regularly positions.

5. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Yes we should which is why I want you to prove where I always come to his rescue. Pretty sure I've been consistent on saying I hate the job he does as OC, like the job he does as HC, hate that he is using the OC position to pad a kids resume, hate how he keeps running Miller up the middle, think that the performance last year was good enough to have earned a one year stay of execution and wish that he would use the TEs better. Please show me where I have deviated from any of those points or how any of them equal me coming to his rescue.

6. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Fair enough but what is he good at as HC? It can't be timeouts, challenge flags, personnel evaluation or player development

7. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

Well to be fair, the standard of running to OB's defense around here has been defined as saying something critical of RAC. :kitten:

8. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

It's just consistency. O'Brien gets excuses for 5 years of a mediocre offense, rac gets downplayed for having a good defense 4 out of 5 years.

Mangler likes this.
  9. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

For me it comes down to for whatever reason he seems really able to keep the locker room together and keep them focused. Coming back from 0-3 to a 9 game winning streak is impressive no matter who you are. Also throughout his entire time in the NFL, as whatever role, very few players have had negative things to say about him. Hell more people have said negative about BB than they have BoB.

Time outs and challenge flags are hard to judge. We sit in hindsight or even on the side lines and say "he should/shouldn't have done that" but the world looks much different when you are actually the one that has to make the call and have to make it with very little time to think about it. Could he be better at it, of course and there are some that make you just face palm but there are also many that turned out to be mistakes later but in the moment would have made sense.

Personnel evaluation I agree with you. Anyone that thinks Devlin should still be coaching our line at this point is blind and I wouldn't trust BoB to pick the QB for a peewee football team. I would much happier if we had a Draft Day "You coach the team I give you" type of GM instead of GMs that are trying to get the guys BoB wants.

My biggest argument about keeping BoB right now actually has nothing to do with him. Its that I haven't heard of any proven alternatives that are realistic. We could find another HC but could we find another that would be an actual upgrade or would be go from the frying pan to the fire. Is it worth wasting 2-3 years of Watson and Hopkins careers and most likely all that's left of Watt's career to replace him? This year to me will answer that question.

10. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

Eh, I respect your perspective of the conversations happening here, but I don't agree that anyone downplays RAC for consistently having a good defense during his Texans tenure. The conversation was about the Colts playoff game, then it was all Jets and Sharks around here with people taking sides and ready to rumble.

11. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Fair enough. I think the secondary got exposed badly towards the end of the season and against the colts. Hopefully some of the many moves we've made work out

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

The secondary is another one of those problems that's been waiting to be fixed. Our pass rush had been good enough for a while that it wasn't so glaring a need.

Though Kjax has started for many years, he never developed into a guy you didn't have to help. We let Bouye go. Kjon has a glass jaw & our safeties have always been eh...

Hopefully Reid works out. Hopefully LonnieJ works out. Hopefully our pass rush (especially interior) returns to form.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This question has already been answered for you many times.

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

yr 2 of a 3 yr rebuild.

15. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

It's usually non answers like "he's a leader" or "none of his players have retired so they must like him"

16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

What's not to like about him being a leader? And many of his players have publicly stated that they liked him including Watson

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Truth is non-supportive statements are a rarity except for primadonnas. Unless you know someone is gone it's Bull Durham, 'just going to give it 110%' 'we're working hard as a team' etc.

TheKDog and ObsiWan like this.
  18. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 July Summertime

Yeah as just hope that they can move on forward. And it seems Watson just likes anybody in general. For being such a great guy!

Texansballer74 and ObsiWan like this.
  19. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

For current team this is very true, for players on former teams or who have retired they tend to be a little more honest. At the same time it could also be that BoB had so little impact that they don’t remember unless directly asked. I mean how many of us remember every teacher we had in high school unless it comes up for some reason.

CWTexansFan and Texansballer74 like this.
  20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

what bozo will publicly dump on the one guy who determines how much playing time they'll receive...??
    I still remember him maneuvering Andre Johnson out of town.
    :bat:

...to be fair though AJ didn't handle it well...