Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Cushing --- DO NOT WANT

You sure? ;)

I don't know what to believe any more. I've been wrong so many times, my neck is sore from bowing my head in shame.

All I know for sure is the Texans defense will be missing one of its strongest pieces during the most important first quarter of a season in franchise history.

:headhurts:

Oh, please. Almost every game is "the most important in franchise history." I hope it doesn't still feel that way in 10 years.

personally after getting to know Brian, I truely believe they got him on some kind of technicality. Doubt Brian ever intended to cheat or take shortcuts, not to mention mislead anyone. His innocence will be vindicated, if need be in a court of law. there is something inherently wrong with punishing someone for trying their best to improve get a similar suspension as a repeat sexual preditor, allegedly.

Texans fans to stand behind Brian in his time of need :ant:

The more I think about it, the more I doubt the steroids accusation. Surely Matthews would have known, and we would have known. I can't believe we would have drafted him, had we known.

People on here seem to be implying Cush has been doing roids since his freshman year.

Call me a homer, but I think if that was true, he would have been caught a long time ago and/or Smithiak would have known.

Whatever he got busted for it was boneheaded (even if legal) and I hope lesson learned.

We should worry more about the first 4 than tearing Cush apart.

personally after getting to know Brian, I truely believe they got him on some kind of technicality. Doubt Brian ever intended to cheat or take shortcuts, not to mention mislead anyone. His innocence will be vindicated, if need be in a court of law. there is something inherently wrong with punishing someone for trying their best to improve get a similar suspension as a repeat sexual preditor, allegedly.

Texans fans to stand behind Brian in his time of need :ant:

This is ridiculous. First off comparing Cushing to Big Ben is just crazy. Two completely different types of infractions that aren't comparable in any way. Big Ben has never even been charged for a crime either. Cushing tested positive for a banned substance period. He cheated. If this was some guy who played for the Titans or the Cowboys you and people who are making excuses for the guy would be bashing the guy relentlessly. Cushing's been rumored to be a steroid abuser going all the way back to his HS days and then in college. It's very clear now that he's dabbled into steroids probably for a long time. He has right now at least and that can't be debated at this point. Not by anyone that isn't delusional or rationale any way. He took banned substances and now he's suspended just like he should be. I won't make any excuses for Cushing on this one regardless of how much I love the guy as a player.

All of that being said, I still love the guy and love the pick and I'm still glad he's a Texan. Hopefully he can move past this and still be a great player for a very long time and I think he will.

This is ridiculous. First off comparing Cushing to Big Ben is just crazy. Two completely different types of infractions that aren't comparable in any way. Big Ben has never even been charged for a crime either. Cushing tested positive for a banned substance period. He cheated. If this was some guy who played for the Titans or the Cowboys you and people who are making excuses for the guy would be bashing the guy relentlessly. Cushing's been rumored to be a steroid abuser going all the way back to his HS days and then in college. It's very clear now that he's dabbled into steroids probably for a long time. He has right now at least and that can't be debated at this point. Not by anyone that isn't delusional or rationale any way. He took banned substances and now he's suspended just like he should be. I won't make any excuses for Cushing on this one regardless of how much I love the guy as a player.

All of that being said, I still love the guy and love the pick and I'm still glad he's a Texan. Hopefully he can move past this and still be a great player for a very long time and I think he will.

comparison is about misplaced agenda being used by NFL board of directors, punishment does not fit the crime(s), IMO.

comparison is about misplaced agenda being used by NFL board of directors, punishment does not fit the crime(s), IMO.

He took a banned substance, therefore his suspension it totally deserved. Him wearing a Texans logo doesn't change that. He deserves to be suspended.

just wanted to point out a few holes in your exact science. I love statements like
"very clear now that he's dabbled... probably"
carry on.

just wanted to point out a few holes in your exact science. I love statements like carry on.

I'm not sure where you've been the last few years when Cushing was in college and before he was drafted, but the speculation wasn't some dark secret. He's failed a test now and is facing a suspension. I don't know what else you need to see or hear to understand what's going on. Hopefully when he comes back he'll be the same player.

Hopefully when he comes back he'll be the same player.

Logic tells us we just can't expect the same player, because that's why he juices in the first place, to elevate his game and/or ability to cope with injury and stay on the field, right ? I'm expecting Cushings performance to regress because we're going to get a player who's only a shell of the player we saw in his rookie year.

I hope you have to eat your words :chef:

What words would he have to eat?He took a banned substance. He was suspended by the league. His appeal failed. Just because he is a Texan doesn't mean he is the one out of...ever...that is wrongly accused. We don't know the substance but it happened. Tex and I have butted heads about alot of stuff but he right in this case. If this was another team there would be no sympathy. Because it is here there must be a mix up.

I also don't know if the guy juiced in high school or college but predraft there was alot of articles about it and alot of side by side pics. The rumors have dogged him since high school. I hope the teams due diligence wasn't just asking him..."did you do steroids?" You need to dig if you are going to draft a guy.

???....I want to also point out that guys on appeal have won but, again, in this case, it didn't happen.Sorry Cak, wasn't sure what you meant here.

The manufacturers or the Athletes?

The athletes. They took a diuretic which isn't a PED and the manufacturer without including it on the label included something banned by the NFL.

HF - they have had some success but now are still going to have to serve 4 game suspensions. My point was they are on other teams and I have sympathy for them.

The athletes. They took a diuretic which isn't a PED and the manufacturer without including it on the label included something banned by the NFL.

HF - they have had some success but now are still going to have to serve 4 game suspensions. My point was they are on other teams and I have sympathy for them.

Didn't know this. Thanks for the info. My overall point was that a Cowboy or Titan or Colt for th emost part would get a reaction like they were cheaters or it was par for the course. I'm just one of those guys that, besides your example, would constantly run whatever I was taking through the league if it was my job. Just to get a heads up or OK. These guys should know what they are taking

What words would he have to eat?He took a banned substance. He was suspended by the league. His appeal failed. Just because he is a Texan doesn't mean he is the one out of...ever...that is wrongly accused. We don't know the substance but it happened. Tex and I have butted heads about alot of stuff but he right in this case. If this was another team there would be no sympathy. Because it is here there must be a mix up.

I also don't know if the guy juiced in high school or college but predraft there was alot of articles about it and alot of side by side pics. The rumors have dogged him since high school. I hope the teams due diligence wasn't just asking him..."did you do steroids?" You need to dig if you are going to draft a guy.

I don't know if some people just choose to ignore the history or the questions that surrounded Cushing for years or if this is just a typical instance where he's a Texan so certain homers won't believe it's possible. He clearly failed a test though and lost his appeal, so it's over at this point and what's done is done. I still love the guy, but I won't sit here and make excuses for the guy for taking banned substances.

Personally I still think he'll be a pretty good player though. His instincts all over the field were fantastic last season and he really had a nack for swarming the ball once it got in the air. I just worry more about him being able to shed blocks as easy and having the same type of explosiveness upon impact. Hopefully some of the MMA stuff he's been learning will at least help him with certain techniques on shedding blockers. I think he talked about that in an interview a few weeks back regarding some of his new training.

I became a Brian Cushing fan just as soon as the Texans drafted him. per this dated thread proof is in the evidence presented for your reading pleasure. Thinking this is simply a case of homerism is wrong, like racial/ethnic profiling. It is selective because as a fan of Cushing/Texans I'm all in to support his back, but knowing as much as we do now about Brian, his character & work ethic its logical there has to be something more to this, that's it. I'm not going to continue to speculate until more facts are forthcoming, this is fast becoming a topic that will be addressed & dealt with by lawyer's.

My concern is now for Brian to restore his good name & seek just vindication all you that exclaim moral righteousness from high in the heavens need to come down to earth & eat your own dose of reality, at least one can hope :pop:

I became a Brian Cushing fan just as soon as the Texans drafted him. per this dated thread proof is in the evidence presented for your reading pleasure. Thinking this is simply a case of homerism is wrong, like racial/ethnic profiling. It is selective because as a fan of Cushing/Texans I'm all in to support his back, but knowing as much as we do now about Brian, his character & work ethic its logical there has to be something more to this, that's it. I'm not going to continue to speculate until more facts are forthcoming, this is fast becoming a topic that will be addressed & dealt with by lawyer's.

My concern is now for Brian to restore his good name & seek just vindication all you that exclaim moral righteousness from high in the heavens need to come down to earth & eat your own dose of reality, at least one can hope :pop:

There is no righteousness. It is called reality in the NFL. They have a list of products that are banned. They do tests. If the tests are done correctly and there is a positive test, the player gets dinged. They then choose to appeal the ban or the testing. He chose testing..they have reps that help them. This was denied. So he went through the process and it didn't work. The fact that he came forward and said it was "non-steroidal"(which they all say) is basically him saying he was dinged for at least something. There is no getting around it for the most part.

I also think that the players are well-protected overall. They have an extremely powerful player's union and also they have loads of legal money at their disposal. At least a heck of a lot more than the average American. I don't hear of too many frivilous lawsuits against the NFL. The Williams duo have a strong case. Does Cushing? I'd think we'd know by now.

This whole Cushing thing reminds me of Mark McGwire and his association with banned substances. He tried to get cute and circumvent the rules with the whole legality approach. It's probably best for Cushing to be as vague as possible right now as McGwire should have been.

There is no righteousness. It is called reality in the NFL. They have a list of products that are banned. They do tests. If the tests are done correctly and there is a positive test, the player gets dinged. They then choose to appeal the ban or the testing. He chose testing..they have reps that help them. This was denied. So he went through the process and it didn't work. The fact that he came forward and said it was "non-steroidal"(which they all say) is basically him saying he was dinged for at least something. There is no getting around it for the most part.

Absolutely - Cushing got caught dirty. End of story.
And his refrain of it's "non-steroidal" sounds uncomfortably similar to another statement by another X-USC player named Reggie Bush of "I did nothing wrong", when asked about a different sort of problem.
I had thought for awhile that Cushing had changed my mind about these guys coming out of USC, but not so much right now.

I don't know if some people just choose to ignore the history or the questions that surrounded Cushing for years or if this is just a typical instance where he's a Texan so certain homers won't believe it's possible. He clearly failed a test though and lost his appeal, so it's over at this point and what's done is done. I still love the guy, but I won't sit here and make excuses for the guy for taking banned substances.

I'm not advocating what he did in the least, but I think some people are just "wait-and-see" while others are "judge-him-now" kinds of people. He tested positive for something that he knew was banned (or at least has yet to deny that he knew what he was taking) and he should be suspended for it. I'm not too familiar with the substance abuse policy, but other than steroids/masking agents, what else is banned? I noticed that certain ephedrines are banned, which seems ridiculous.

I've never really known how to feel about steroids. It makes me uncomfortable that people do it...but there's always been a "meh" feeling to it as well.

That being said Brian is a doofus for testing positive for something after having these allegations following him well before his NFL days. On top of that...he still has not said (at least yet) that he didn't know he was taking something that wasn't legal. Hopefully DeMeco will *****-slap him into tomorrow for being an *****.

Schiefner on ESPN is now reporting that Cushing was so confidant about his
argument on this thing that he took a lie detector test which he passed.
Rumors are the issue involved a "blood thinner" ?

I noticed that certain ephedrines are banned, which seems ridiculous.

Ephedrine/pseudoephedrine/ma huang enhances performance. Although Ephedrine is most known for being used along with Caffeine and Aspirin in the world famous ECA stack which is used to boost metabolism and get your body burning fat, Ephedrine (taken in sufficient amounts) amps you up and it's been shown that you can squeeze out more reps or more weight in the weight room when using Ephedrine.

I haven't seen any similar studies for pseudo-ephedrine but it is used to create meth.

That being said Brian is a doofus for testing positive for something after having these allegations following him well before his NFL days. On top of that...he still has not said (at least yet) that he didn't know he was taking something that wasn't legal. Hopefully DeMeco will *****-slap him into tomorrow for being an *****.

From everything I've heard, he thought he had a valid argument for why he shouldn't be suspended and he really expected to be exonerated. To the point that he told Glazer/Couture that he was definitely going to be cleared.

Hopefully, he's learned his lesson.

From everything I've heard, he thought he had a valid argument for why he shouldn't be suspended and he really expected to be exonerated. To the point that he told Glazer/Couture that he was definitely going to be cleared.

Hopefully, he's learned his lesson.

Just about all of these guys that appeal swear that they should be cleared and exonerated. It sounds like the same line I've heard from several other guys already.

I'm just ready for this issue to die down at this point so Cushing and the Texans can both move on and go back to business as usual. Cushing won me over last season regardless of what the hell he took. I think he'll still be a great player most likely.

Schiefner on ESPN is now reporting that Cushing was so confidant about his
argument on this thing that he took a lie detector test which he passed.
Rumors are the issue involved a "blood thinner" ?

Whoa. I hadn't heard that. That's interesting.

Here's what Schefter said via Twitter:

Brian Cushing took and passed a lie-detector test to prove he was not guilty of taking a PED. Yet his four-game suspension still stands.
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Don't know where the "blood thinner" rumor came from, yet

I'm not advocating what he did in the least, but I think some people are just "wait-and-see" while others are "judge-him-now" kinds of people. He tested positive for something that he knew was banned (or at least has yet to deny that he knew what he was taking) and he should be suspended for it.

This is what McNair said
"Brian, what he has said, is he's been taking the same supplements ... for the last 10 or 15 years and he's been checked umpteen times and it hadn't shown up to be any kind of problem," McNair said. "So what happened, I don't know. He doesn't know at this point in time.

"The fact (is) that he didn't think he would get the suspension, but that's the way it is at this point in time, and we accept it and we need to move on."

So what are the chances, that the tests he passed for the last 15 years weren't as critical as the test administered by the NFL?

What if he was taking something that could give a false positive. He was told before, "hey, you'll test positive if you take that stuff" But in the past, he never tested positive, so figured it was just urban legend. LIke Andro... can you really test positive by taking androstenedione??

I've never seen the list of banned substance, I'm not saying Cushing took androstenedione. I'm saying would it be possible, that he took something that is not on the banned-substance list, but would trigger a positive test result for something that is on the banned substance list.

This is what McNair said

So what are the chances, that the tests he passed for the last 15 years weren't as critical as the test administered by the NFL?

What if he was taking something that could give a false positive. He was told before, "hey, you'll test positive if you take that stuff" But in the past, he never tested positive, so figured it was just urban legend. LIke Andro... can you really test positive by taking androstenedione??

I've never seen the list of banned substance, I'm not saying Cushing took androstenedione. I'm saying would it be possible, that he took something that is not on the banned-substance list, but would trigger a positive test result for something that is on the banned substance list.
Yes, that is very possible. I posted this in another thread already, but the bottom of the actual lists of banned substance in the official NFL handbook says "and related substances". In other words, if you test for anything that they think is sort of like what's on the list, whether or not it is actually on the list, that can count as failing the test.

And yes, it is also possible for certain derivative compounds to cause false positives for other tests. The tests they do in labs are not literally molecular analysis. They don't examine the compound that caused the positive and say oh yeah that's definitely compound X because it has an OH2 group on the 8th carbon. The tests are imprecise and can catch things that just happen to bind to the same compounds as another drug, etc. Now I'm not saying this is what happened, but it is definitely possible.

Which is probably why Cushing feels like he is so innocent. He needs to come out and say what he took tomorrow. The waiting game needs to end.

This is what McNair said

Once, a long time ago, I had a talk with a guy that owned a supplement company. And according to him, many supplement companies use the same machine to "pill" different compounds. And if the machine isn't thoroughly cleaned, trace amounts of "banned" compounds can find their way into pills that are supposed to be clean.

It's entirely possible for you to take something that's totally cool with your federation and get a positive because it has been tainted with androstenediol or androstenedione. BUT, the andros totally mess with your test/epitest ratio so that it looks like you've been taking real steroids.

At least, that's what he told me.

Yes, that is very possible. I posted this in another thread already, but the bottom of the actual lists of banned substance in the official NFL handbook says "and related substances". In other words, if you test for anything that they think is sort of like what's on the list, whether or not it is actually on the list, that can count as failing the test.

And yes, it is also possible for certain derivative compounds to cause false positives for other tests. The tests they do in labs are not literally molecular analysis. They don't examine the compound that caused the positive and say oh yeah that's definitely compound X because it has an OH2 group on the 8th carbon. The tests are imprecise and can catch things that just happen to bind to the same compounds as another drug, etc. Now I'm not saying this is what happened, but it is definitely possible.

I looked at the NFL's banned substsance list and it does say "and related substances". That leaves room for interpretation and subjectivity. With more info coming out, I'm starting to see why Cush was so sure he would win his appeal, however, didn't. It's going to be interesting to see what else comes out.

do-not-want-dog.jpg

Anyone else worried that a number of draft analysts seem to be thinking Brian Cushing will be the Texans' first pick?

From NFLdraftCountdown.com :

Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games...Has played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojans...Manufactured athlete who should test well but isn't that impressive on film and often looks like a defensive end in a linebacker's body...Is overrated as a pro prospect but has the talent to start at the next level if he can somehow find a way to stay healthy.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/Brian-Cushing.php

I agree with you totally and i have a source that tells me he uses Steroids.

I'm still on board with the Cushing pick.

Yeah me too. He proved he is more than a two down linebacker. And he proved he could run with anyone he had to cover. With the pick up of Pollard, they had a "real" NFL defense. What will be interesting is how quick OC's go after Pollard now without Cushing on the field. The other thing is replacing Cushing's speed on the field. Kubiak swears he isn't moving Diles because "he has an excellent chance at being a top NFL Will. " Note to Kubes....you better do what you gotta do to not end up 1-3, 0-4 out of the gate. And if that means moving Zac for four games, you move the lad. I promise his growth will not be stunted.
The other thing I read into his reaction about moving Zac Diles into the SAM, is Adibi sucks so bad they can not make the switch. They better find some speed for the edges by the first game is all I know.

If Cushing starts shrinking, we'll know the truth of it. Uncle Bob believes him. That's all that matters. God bless me, I believe him also.

Note to Kubes....you better do what you gotta do to not end up 1-3, 0-4 out of the gate. And if that means moving Zac for four games, you move the lad. I promise his growth will not be stunted.

The other thing I read into his reaction about moving Zac Diles into the SAM, is Adibi sucks so bad they can not make the switch. They better find some speed for the edges by the first game is all I know.

I'm pretty sure Kubiak knows what he is doing. I remember having these same discussions in the Caper years, about our OL. One guy gets injured, and we start playing musical chairs. Instead of being weak at one spot, we end up being weak at two.

Same kind of thing here. Start Danny Clark at SAM... we are weaker at SAM, that we would be if 56 was in the game. If you want to start Adibi at the WILL, now we are weak in two spots.

Everyone flucks up. He did, got busted, and is paying the price for it. That still doesn't change my opinion of him as a player. The guys a bad ass, and come the game vs. the Giants he will once again prove hes the real deal. Go Cush! :fans:

cushlash.jpg

I just pray he continues to be the real deal without any help.

He tested positive in October. I am sure from that point going forward he was tested every other day. Which means that entire season was all him.

Go Cushing!

He tested positive in October. I am sure from that point going forward he was tested every other day. Which means that entire season was all him.

Go Cushing!

He tested positive for elevated hGC in September, he was notified in October.

He was tested several times through the year.

However, if he's been cycling for years, he'll have to continue, or his play will degenerate.

Everyone flucks up. He did, got busted, and is paying the price for it. That still doesn't change my opinion of him as a player. The guys a bad ass, and come the game vs. the Giants he will once again prove hes the real deal. Go Cush! :fans:

cushlash.jpg

:fans:

Well said! We need his 'tude out there!

Back