Brees to NO Saints?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by ArlingtonTexan, Mar 10, 2006.

1. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14064242.htm

As for Brees, an NFL source said New Orleans has stepped forward as the strongest contender for his services. The Saints, Dolphins and Detroit have reportedly been the strongest suitors to date, but the Saints have guaranteed more money than the other two teams.
    All three are still considered to be in the running, but the NFL source said the Saints appeared to be the strongest.
    ''From what I know right now, it's set where he's going, and it's not Miami,'' the source said.

3. Haams

Haams All Pro

What would that do to the Saints draft choices?

4. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

That makes the Saints a wild card in the draft now. They could do just about anything.

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Yea, this a big deal because up to now the Saints were the biggest constant
    at the top of the Draft because of their perceived strong interest in Leinert. And it has to have an adverse effect upon our top picks value, which would
    increase the likelihood of us taking Reggie. Of course were a long ways right now from the Saints taking Brees or any QB in FA.

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I think this makes our pick more valuable to the league and puts more emphasis on filling our need if there are no trade partners - Williams and Ferguson. On the surface with Brees and McCallister in tow they will be looking at Ferguson, Hawk or trade down in my opinion. It has gotten messier if the trigger is pulled.

7. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I could see the Saints taking Ferguson with the #2 pick. They would have a dominant line if they did that because they already have a very good RT. But I also could see them go after Mario Williams because they can look to the success that Peppers has had against their foe Michael Vick and you can always use defense.

This makes a trade a lot more dangerous because now you aren't guaranteed anything even to #4 and if you go past 4 you are really risking a lot. If we were targeting Mario or D'Brick we could realistically be put in a situation where Mario and D'Brick are taken 2 and 3. And if we were at 5 we probably wouldn't get Bush either.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

In looking at their roster I do not see an immediate need at DE. I would need to look at their contracts, but the DL has been a strength for the Saints, on paper at least.

9. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

horrible news for the trade-down camp

10. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

darren howad is a UFA, but it could be irrelevant since the Saints might be going to a 3-4 defense

11. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Not a bad move if the Saints wind up movin' to San Antonio in the near future. Brees is from that area.

12. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I could see them trading down and picking up Hawk.

13. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

They might entertain trading down themselves if they sign Brees. To me, Hawk can play anywhere, inside or out in in just about any D, so he could be a target. In any case, I also think this would lessen the chance we trade down. And personally, I don't think they have the guts to take Mario Williams at #1 and leave Bush on the board. So, to me it's more likely we go Bush than it ever has been.

14. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

Let's just say they did sign Brees. Now they could either want Bush, or still take Leinart and let him groom under Brees like San Diego did with him.

15. TheIz

TheIz AirMan

what about the Saints taking Vernon Davis? No.2 pick...... :hmmm:

16. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

That will happen when :pigfly:

17. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I don't see them doing either. McAlister was just signed to a $60 million dollar contract and they aren't going to sign Drew Brees and then draft Matt Leinart. They are either going to draft Ferguson or Hawk or trade down and pick someone else.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

People keep forgetting Brees was playing on a cheap rookie contract when San Diego got Rivers. San Diego never intended to carry two high contract QB's and despite Brees' good play are not going to do so now.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

They weren't expecting anything good out of Brees.. he screwed their plan for a little while.

But as been said earlier, if the Saints get Brees, some our #1 all of a sudden got very, very valuable...... there is no garuntee D'Brick, Mario, or any of the top five players being on available past two.... If you were looking to take whichever QB dropped to #3, or #4 you're still in good shape, maybe even at #5.. but if you wanted one of the other guys, you're going to have to come see us....

20. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

IMO the first picks value dropped. Because any team that wanted to get a QB no longer has to trade up. Also if we want to trade down and get either Dbrick or super mario there is a very good chance they will both be gone by the fourth or fith pick. Before this happened we would have been garunteed either Dbrick or M williams at the fourth pick. Now we arent garunteed anything.