BRB: Red Carpet Prevent Zone

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by barrett, Jun 10, 2010.

1. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Very interesting look at the Texans inability to get stops going into the half and closing out leads.

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Thanks for posting.

:facepalm:Looks like sustained one heck of alot of Red Carpet Burns.

3. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

This is why I've thought that Bush has a chance of sinking Kubiak.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

OK started off with two statements I disagree with - "His blitzes were uninspired, his scheme was vanilla."

5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I didn't think his blitzes were anything outstanding or creative. His scheme seemed fairly suspect until they got Pollard in there, and even then they still dicked the dog on many occasions.

Maybe we all want a Ravens '00 defense, but even then Bush still looked like he was lost against any semi-competent offense.

6. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I know it has nothing to do with the topic, but I am a bit more than half lit and as an old fart, the term 'Carpet burns' just sounds so ........ nice. :kitten:

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I wondered how the term "carpet burns" came to be associated with Pro Football...

8. CloakNNNdagger

Lingerie Football, maybe??:)

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Ok, I could see that . Love to get some with :

[​IMG]

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Speaking of the Texans offense inability to get points going into the half and closing out games...

Game 1 (Jets): 3 & out on final drive of the 1st half. Of course, the Texans offense was actually shutout for the entire game.

Game 2 (@ Titans): The Texans drive 53 yards on the final possession of the half, but settle for a field goal.

Game 3 (Jags): The Texans have possession 3 times in the 4th quarter, to tie the game and perhaps reclaim the lead. The results? 4 & out. 3 & out. Long drive culminating with a fumble at the goal line.

Game 4 (Raiders): Schaub throw interception in the end zone just prior to half. Texans gain one 1st down and 23 total yards in entire 2nd half. (Not that it really mattered, we're just playing along).

Game 5 (Cardinals): Texans go 3 & out on the last real possession of the half (they punted on 5 of the 6 1st half possessions). On the final 2 possessions of the 2nd half, the Texans throw a pick 6 and turn ball over on downs at the Arizona one yard line.

Game 6 (Bengals): Schaub throws an interception on the final possession of the 1st half.

Game 7 (49ers): The offense puts up 3 points the entire 2nd half. (The article fails to mention Eugene Wilson's interception which sealed the game.)

Game 8 (Bills): The Texans drive 91 yards on the final possession of the half! Settle for a field goal.

Game 9 (@ Colts): Colts challenge @ the 2 minute warning in the 1st half. Officials rule that Moats fumbles into endzone, giving the Colts possession at their 20. A Pollard interception give the Texans another chance. Kris Brown hits a field goal for the Texans only points of the half. The Texans final possession of the 2nd half ends with a field goal attempt. Must I elaborate?

Game 10 (Titans): Texans score all of 3 points in 2nd half. Final possession ends in similar fashion to game @ Indy.

Game 11....I can't do this anymore. Too painful.

What can we learn from this? That it wasn't just the defense that screwed the pooch at the end of halves or games. And that the Texans didn't play well enough last season. But, we should already know that.

11. CloakNNNdagger

Following your read, I share your pain. I remember the high hopes going into that season (among others) too well to blindly set myself up for another.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Wow that hurt to read.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I thought...

though uninspired, this was our first year. We relied on pure badassery more than scheme. We just happened to have a few badasses on the team. Pollard, Cushing, Mario, Demeco, Diles, Smith... Quinn

All the losing close games to good teams... IMHO, that's just part of the natural progression. Whether you're talking about the team Kubiak took over, or the Dallas team Parcells took over.

14. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

Lots of good observations in this thread...but what it really tells me is that our team lacks discipline. That has to start with coaching, from the head coach on down. We have talented individual players, but the direction and identity of the team starts with Kubiak. The mental toughness of the players and the confidence to execute is what separates teams that hover around .500 and teams that win consistently. Kubiak must have this team ready to go and also be aware of the entire game so in game adjustments can be made...seems like :deadhorse

15. CloakNNNdagger

Lack of Discipline and Preparation has always been a consistent testament to our past failures.

[​IMG]