Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brandon Brooks

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I noted that he played in 4 series, one of them resulted in a TD.

He had 4 or 5 take_down blocks; they are so fun to watch.
Granted, he had a little initial help on all but one; but you rarely see that with our other Guards, let alone that many in fewer than 20 snaps.:kingkong::kingkong::kingkong:

I didn't get to see much of the Tenn. game so thanks for the info. I've been wondering when he might get in a game and how he'd do. That's good to hear. Anyone else care to critique Brooks performance.

I like pancakes not exactly cut blocks now are they but effective, like throwing a change-up to keep a hitter off balance. Thanks for the heads-up 76 :fostering:

That's the first time he came in.
Fourth series of the game, toward the end of the first quarter.
On the first play, Foster ran left.
Brooks pushed his guy into D. Brown's guy, causing them both to fall.
Brown then pancaked them both, LOL!

BTW, when Brown got hurt, Gardner went in for 3 snaps in that series, and did well enough.

On fourth and one, Brooks was pulling his man down when Harris came over to help.
Looks like Harris slipped and caused the DE to lose balance.
Brooks took him down, not quite flat on his face, but pretty close enough to make me smile.

He came back in the next series, which was in the second quarter, around the 13:40 mark, on first down.
Brooks was pushing his guy when Myers helped him by nudging the guy a bit before releasing onto the second level.
Brooks put the guy on his back by rolling him over.
He would have been on top of the guy on the ground, except the momentum caused him to roll off the body of the dead.

In the third quarter, he came in around the 9:40 mark.
On second down, Brooks went to the second level.
The safety was able to avoid him.
Brooks, came back and pancaked him.
He might have gotten away with blocking in the back, but the safety helped him out by trying to turn around to reach the runner.
He was squatted like a bug.
Look at the angle of the last two replays.

On the next series, near the 5 sec mark.
On the first play of the drive, he simply pushed his guy backward and pancaked him, LOL!

Those are all the series he played in.
15 snaps, 8 running plays.
:hurrah:

Between he and Ben Jones....I don't think Caldwell is getting his spot back. We'll see how long Wade Smith can hang on, I think we're gonna see another few OL picks next year too. The Texans game depends wayyyyyyy too much on the OL's ability to not continue the rebuild until....well....until we have 5 HOF backing up 5 HOFs. Foster's numbers have taken a hit in the wake of last year's exodus. Newton, Butler and Caldwell all performed admirably but not well enough to consider them as players to hang onto moving forward. I will say that the pass protection has been about the same, if not slightly better but that's not what this offense is about.

Between he and Ben Jones....I don't think Caldwell is getting his spot back. We'll see how long Wade Smith can hang on, I think we're gonna see another few OL picks next year too. The Texans game depends wayyyyyyy too much on the OL's ability to not continue the rebuild until....well....until we have 5 HOF backing up 5 HOFs. Foster's numbers have taken a hit in the wake of last year's exodus. Newton, Butler and Caldwell all performed admirably but not well enough to consider them as players to hang onto moving forward. I will say that the pass protection has been about the same, if not slightly better but that's not what this offense is about.
Foster's numbers have taken a hit because the ankle tackles he used to go right through are now tripping him up. He's had several big play opportunities go down the drain because someone grabbed his shoelace. Personally, I blame the vegan thing for that. :D

How about Tate and Forsett?

They have the same O-line blocking.

Like I said, We're using Foster more in short yardage situation and that screw up the number.

Foster's numbers have taken a hit because the ankle tackles he used to go right through are now tripping him up. He's had several big play opportunities go down the drain because someone grabbed his shoelace. Personally, I blame the vegan thing for that. :D

I agree for the most part that it does appear to be Foster related. Earlier in the season it didn't appear as such, because nobody but Foster was making any gains. He also had the most opportunity.

But recently, the other guys are being more productive on less carries. Can't remember Forsett's first game, but I thought his success there was that the defense must have believed we were passing since Foster wasn't in the game. But we've seen several games now where Forsett is still gaining yards & teams should know & be prepared for it now.

Between his slipping & going down on contact, Foster isn't as productive as he used to be. Maybe he's saving himself, going for longevity.

Nah, there's a feature on Profootball reference.com called Play Finder.

You can search for all the plays there with the criteria you provide.

Check out the number of times we used Foster near our goal line or close to the opponent end zone, say ten yards in.

Check out the number we use him on third or fourth and short (less than 3 yards for example.)

Check out the number of times we used him to end the half and to end the game.

Compare them with Tate and Forsett.

How about Tate and Forsett?

They have the same O-line blocking.

Like I said, We're using Foster more in short yardage situation and that screw up the number.

What about them? Foster's use in situational football is nothing different than it was last year. The difference I see is less cutback lanes which means less of him blasting a D straight up the middle for 5+ every time. He'll get a good run to the edges now and again but the homeruns are gone. To me, he's running like a guy who knows the holes aren't going to be there.

BTW, when Brown got hurt, Gardner went in for 3 snaps in that series, and did well enough.

You guys need to go back and watch that very first Gardner snap...

Look at his face and body language as he's coming back from out-of-bounds (right after the play was over), coming back to the huddle, he had this look on his face like "Holy crap, I'm playing in the game! I'm. In. The. Game."

It was pure awesomeness, folks. He looked as proud as a peacock out there.

It's stuff like that that makes gives me goose bumps.

Look at his face and body language as he's coming back from out-of-bounds (right after the play was over), coming back to the huddle, he had this look on his face like "Holy crap, I'm playing in the game! I'm. In. The. Game."

He was hearing Karen Carpenter's song "We've only just begun." I think Brooks will be all right but still adjusting to NFL. Not too many games barring injuries where rookie backups can get in.

What about them? Foster's use in situational football is nothing different than it was last year. The difference I see is less cutback lanes which means less of him blasting a D straight up the middle for 5+ every time. He'll get a good run to the edges now and again but the homeruns are gone. To me, he's running like a guy who knows the holes aren't going to be there.

Like I've been saying, there are several factors that contributed.
Yes, sometimes the holes weren't there. It is just a coincidence that the holes weren't there for him a little more often than the other two backs.

You go back and watch the Titans game for example.

On his first run, Casey missed his block and there's an unblocked defender coming straight at him. he gained 2

On his second run, The whole left side got shut down; they got one more than us on that side.
He was following Casey who got blown up at the Los.
Foster gained 1.

On his third run, Wade Smith got blown up right into him;
Then an unblocked defender zeroed in.

On fourth and one, the De was too much for Walter to handle, forcing Foster wide. He managed to gain six.

All these runs were to the left.

In the second quarter, we were at their 3.
Our line got no push, Foster gained 1

On the next play, even though Brown was pushed back, Foster was able to go outside for 2 and a TD.

In the second half, he gained 10 on one play but Wade Smith was flagged for holding.

On the play where he fumbled the ball, Casey got blown up at the line again.
Brown also let his man to the inside. Harris missed the cut block in the back side; his man chased from behind to make the tackle.

We lost on the left side again, with Wade Smith. Brown let his man get inside again.
Foster gained two as he cut back but Myers missed his block on the second level.

2 plays later, OD lost the edge (hindering Brown) and Casey wasn't so hot either; no gain for Foster to the left side again to end the third.

He had a couple of runs in the fourth to the right where that side was also closed up.

The 2 short yardage situations pull his average down for sure.

I don't know what else you want him to do, really!

He sure did well on that play.
We need him to keep improving.

I think we may see a few stretch run this Monday.
The pats have been patsies on the edges.

You realize she was singing that just to me? She also said "stars suddenly appear" when I am near. That woman really understood me.:tiphat:

Good for you, I had a good evenly laugh.
I love Karen, too; but you can have her.

Well, not really, it wouldn't be fair to her, right?

Good for you, I had a good evenly laugh.
I love Karen, too; but you can have her.

Well, not really, it wouldn't be fair to her, right?
Never mind, Demi Moore is on the phone wanting to take me dancing to Reggae. She can't sing but she doesn't have to.

Barring injury, I think Brooks will be a stud at RG next season. The big question is what will happen at RT, the injury to Newton has me very concerned.

He's the most important development on the team. When you think about the problems that stalled the offense in the second half of last season, he is the biggest piece of the solution.

He's the most important development on the team. When you think about the problems that stalled the offense in the second half of last season, he is the biggest piece of the solution.
There's still the little problem at RT. Newton and the draft pick Williams injured and sitting out OTAs. Harris, Gardner, and a 6th round pick getting the reps. And I've got the most hope in the 6th round pick. Scary.

I hope quess wins the RT spot. I think he'll end up being the best one for that position in the long run.

Harris, Gardner, and a 6th round pick getting the reps.

You will very rarely hear me bad mouth a player.

I don't "know" these guys. They all work harder than I do at this game. They are all more athletic than I am. They are the ones getting their heads smashed in for my entertainment.

But that Gardner guy... I come close to losing my religion last season because of him.

There's still the little problem at RT. Newton and the draft pick Williams injured and sitting out OTAs. Harris, Gardner, and a 6th round pick getting the reps. And I've got the most hope in the 6th round pick. Scary.

I don't want to get into a whole thing about the veracity of the Texans vis-a-vis injuries, but Kubiak said he "hoped" to get Brennan Williams back sometime in week 4 of OTA's. Obviously if that happens, he should also be available for the mandatory mini-camp.

Let's hope he gets back soon and we get some competition at RT between the Rookies. I honestly feel like any upgrade at that position will come from one of them, or (maybe) a healthy Newton. I don't see either Harris or Gardner as a potential upgrade to that position over 2012.

Between Quess, B. Williams, Harris & Newt they should be able to find a reliable starting RT who can stay healthy and consistantly play well because they've got 3 months to do it.

I hope quess wins the RT spot. I think he'll end up being the best one for that position in the long run.

If Quiz gets the RT job, I'll be "okay" with Brooks starting at RG. I'd really like to see Brooks at LG & Ben Jones at RG. But with a rookie at RT we need all the experience we can get.

Between Quess, B. Williams, Harris & Newt they should be able to find a reliable starting RT who can stay healthy and consistantly play well because they've got 3 months to do it.
They should? Yes, Newton and Williams will have more time to heal between now and camp. Doesn't mean they will be healed or will stay healthy. Harris is what he is. And he has had back problems in the past. I think many think the Texans found nice value in the 6th round with Quessenberry. But it's crazy to assume he will be ready to be the starter come opening day. This is easily the biggest concern coming out of these OTAs.

You will very rarely hear me bad mouth a player.

I don't "know" these guys. They all work harder than I do at this game. They are all more athletic than I am. They are the ones getting their heads smashed in for my entertainment.

But that Gardner guy... I come close to losing my religion last season because of him.

:spit:

They should? Yes, Newton and Williams will have more time to heal between now and camp. Doesn't mean they will be healed or will stay healthy. Harris is what he is. And he has had back problems in the past. I think many think the Texans found nice value in the 6th round with Quessenberry. But it's crazy to assume he will be ready to be the starter come opening day. This is easily the biggest concern coming out of these OTAs.

Harris is underrated.
To me, he was the better RT last year.
Don't want to count on him being healthy long-term though.

Harris is underrated.

It's a promising sign that given a year after his back surgery, he was able to play in 16 games last year. You would have to consider that a successful surgery, something that is not necessarily the norm.

It's a promising sign that given a year after his back surgery, he was able to play in 16 games last year. You would have to consider that a successful surgery, something that is not necessarily the norm.

Has the percentage of successful back surgeries improved any over the last 5 to 10 years? I know that's a broad question, but I know of a number of people who've had back surgery/surgeries in years past that are in bad shape, and they don't even play football. I would have to think that someone playing pro football would have even a lower percentage chance of full recovery and playing again.

Harris is underrated.
Agree, I think he was clearly better. Hope he holds up.

Good to hear, thanks Doc.

I'm really pumped about this, you expect linear improvement from young players but here we have a guy who got his ass chewed a little this time last year for being a fat barsteward and nowhere near NFL shape, had marginal impact through his rookie season, and has reported back in the shape they wanted him to be, and is getting smoke blown up his arse from every angle by those who are watching him play.

That is exactly what we need if we are to continue to improve, and I think the line looks good for the future.

Now, given Schaubs Age/Health/Ability, you have to think this gives him a great chance to make the most of what he has left in the tank over the next few years (possibly), whilst seeing good young players looking promising gives me hope that when we do inevitably make a change at QB, whoever comes in won't have the issue of poor line-play hampering their development.

I get the impression while we've failed to spend high picks on a QB, should one of either Keenum/Yates not vie for the starting position, any rookie coming in is going to have a quality young line, and a set of exciting young receivers to target, and a good running game at their disposal.

The last couple of years have begun to really show me that Smithiak are in this for the long haul. A lot of great guys have been and gone during the turnaround but while you may like to have a DeMeco, Winston etc still on the team, the overall quality/future potential of the roster, I believe, is at an all time high.

I'm also seeing nothing but great things about this current draft class, as well as the last seemingly offering starters all over the field with continued development, only complacency will stop this team from being a force for years to come I feel.

No more Frank Okams and non-effort guys, all seem to have fixable flaws and a coachable work-ethic. Great scouting and good team management.

I'm happy in May. Got the feeling things are gaining momentum. I'm also deliriously tired which may be adding to the extremely positive emotions pulsating through this post.:spin:

Harris is underrated.

Agree, I think he was clearly better. Hope he holds up.

So maybe the rotation was just as much about easing Harris back into the game as it was protecting Derek Newton.

That Kubiak...... crazy like a fox.

I remember seeing him at the end of last season. He went in and just dominated his guys. I am more than excited to have him starting for us. I think he will be awesome.

I'm really starting to like this guy and I've been hearing nothing but good things about him during the offseason. I hope he has a great year and solidifies the RG spot for a long time. Here's a quote from BB talking about getting help from Brown, Smith, and Myers in a short article on the Texans website:
“When I came back after the offseason, I really got together with those guys and asked them, ‘Do you mind taking me in the film room, letting me see what you guys see? What do you do in this situation? Stuff like that,” Brooks said Thursday at Reliant Stadium. “They were more than happy to take me under their wing and go from there.
I wish all of the Texans young players were like this (Yes, I'm talking to you Sam Montgomery!). It's clear Brooks has his head on straight and he should make an outstanding RG for the Texans.

Here's a link to the rest of the article; http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...de-Right/10f48269-f24e-4fbf-8bf5-7f0ff6003e73

580bbrooks.jpg

Brandon Brooks is quietly having a good season.

PFF rates Brooks at 10th/77 Guards overall and 2nd/77 in run blocking. His pass blocking rating is where he needs to improve, rated 39th/77. (>25% snaps, before MNF)

Brooks just posted his season best +5.4 overall rating against the Colts.

Nice work in a not so great situation, Brandon. :clap:

Last edited:
Brandon Brroks is quietly having a good season.

PFF rates Brooks at 10th/77 Guards overall and 2nd/77 in run blocking. His pass blocking rating is where he needs to improve, rated 39th/77. (>25% snaps, before MNF)

That's awesome, I hope this proves the fact that you don't have to use first round picks to get good offensive linemen to posters who think we need to take a RT at #1 overall.

Brandon Brroks is quietly having a good season.

Yes he is. His biggest problem is mental IMO. He is having a hard time coordinating with those around him particularly in pass protection. That is something which good coaching and experience can improve.

Brandon Brooks is quietly having a good season.

Good stuff, rep your way.

I really liked Brooks coming out. He was a mauler in the run game that just needed to improve his conditioning and get in better shape and more refined in pass pro. I think the early numbers point that out. I still think he has a lot of room for improvement and that's not a bad thing. He has the ability to be a very good starting guard in the league.

He's been a very good run blocker. Too bad this is becoming more and more a passing league. I have hope for the guy, though. I'm thinking he and Quessenberry have a better shot than any of being the two starting guards next season.

Back