Brandon Albert, LT, on trading block

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TexansSeminole, Feb 16, 2017.

1. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I put this in the salary cap thread, but thought it might be better here.

Here's an interesting turn of events:

Link

Could the Texans be in play here for Albert? He was their starting left tackle this past year and made the pro-bowl from that position in 2015.

He has cap hits of $10.6mil in 2017 and $11.3mil in 2018, with $1.7mil signing bonus allocations in each year. not a cheap contract, but he's a good player and the contract isn't long. Maybe they extend him upon trading for him and start with a new contract? Maybe we move Brown to RT if we were to make this move? An interesting option.

The other question is, what would we give up? It sounds like there are potentially multiple teams bidding for him, so I assume it's have to be something of atleast some value. I know the Dolphins need a cornerback. Perhaps they want Joseph, but I don't see us doing that unless we are prepared to sign Bouye.

Thoughts on this possibility?

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I absolutely love Albert's game, but I wouldn't trade for his contract, too injury prone.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  3. TexansSeminole

Would you do it if you could sign him to a new contract upon arrival? He was about to be cut, so I assume a new contract could easily be on the table.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

As he had wrist dislocation issues that date back to 2015 which finally led to the necessity of undergoing surgery last Nov, I would have a significant concern regarding this injury in a LT. His dislocation did not involve fractures (i.e., a pure dislocation)....something that actually has shown poorer long term prognosis. All patients undergoing a wrist surgery for pure wrist dislocation have shown significant decrease in wrist force.....~20%....not a good injury for a LT that has to use his hands/wrists forcefully to be effective against his defenders.

TexansSeminole likes this.
  5. TexansSeminole

Good info @CloakNNNdagger. I wonder if it's impacted his play recently. I watched quite a few Dolphins games, but admittedly don't remember his play one way or the other. A few friends who are Dolphins fans said he was good, but he was always banged up.

6. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Albert made the Pro Bowl in 2013 and 2015 but at the end of the 2016 season he was ranked only No. 65 out of 78 tackles by Pro Football Focus, in large part to his performance following his wrist surgery.

TexansSeminole likes this.
  7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Per score app