Braman gets no love?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by House of Pain, Mar 27, 2012.

1. House of Pain

House of Pain Knee-jerkless

With all the doom and gloom going on around here about losing our players (somewhat rightfully so), I'm kinda surprised more people haven't been talking about Braman getting a chance to get snaps at OLB. Seems like he's got good football instincts. He's had two outstanding plays on special teams this year, and I really think he's going to shine in this system. Sure, we need to draft some LBs, but I'm pretty confident that he can step in a make an impact. Have the rookies play special teams and let him focus on being an LB and spend that high draft pick on a lineman.

2. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Based upon a couple of high-profile plays on STs duty, you've concluded he's "going to shine in this system" ? Would you say the same thing about Shiloh Keo, who also made an impressive tackle or two in covering punts/kickoffs during his rookie year ?

3. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

No, Braman's work at OLB in the preseason last year is what caught my eye. That he did well on ST is part of earning his stripes as a rookie, but I agree he's got potential to be a contributor in the OLB rotation this year.

TimeKiller likes this.
  4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

This!

I believe that Wade knows what he's got on the bench in this guy. Also any time we've seen this guy on the field he has done his job well.

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

Its hard to project a guys development when we do not get access to see him work day in and day out. We can assume all day long if he is ready for a starting job or not. I tend to lean towards drafting a pass rusher in the first round.

6. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Braman looked good in preseason last year but I don't think he's ready this year. He's a project and I think its too early to throw him into the mix. Wouldn't be surprised to see us draft an OLB high and let Barwin walk next year and then roll with Reed, draft pick, and Braman in 2013.

7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Braman seems like an entertaining, colorful character but it takes more than a rep for using exotic forms of dope and making a helmetless special teams tackle to be a regular and consistent contributor to the Texans' defense.

8. Kimmy

Kimmy RealGirls LvFB!

Wasn't he the player from A&M who was suspended from football because of 'shrooms?

Maybe we're just making sure he doesn't get any flashbacks :butterfly:

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I thought he was suspended somewhere else and then transferred to West Texas A&M.

What's wrong with flashbacks?? :francis:

10. Ktexan68

Ktexan68 Rookie

Lance Z ( who I think really knows his stuff) expects him to become part of the rotation this year.

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Insufficient data.
    Let me see what he does during camp & preseason.
    Tackling with no helmet does not say much for his judgement. It does speak volumes about his intensity though. :D

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The draft will tell us what Wade thinks of Braman. If multiple LB's are picked high, then Wade doesn't have much confidence in Braman.

Although we dont have much to go on, I think Braman is a guy you can count on. I trust Wades decisions.

13. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

I don't necessarily agree with this. I think if they draft OLB high it speaks more to how they rate their chances of keeping Barwin. If they can find another Reed to come in and rotate, and that guy proves himself on the field, Barwin moves in to Mario Williams status of 'we don't need to overpay' although on a lower pay-scale.

We are always going to need a 4th OLB we can rely on as well so it isn't as if Braman wouldn't see the field in that situation.

The moves we've made so far this off-season will give us some room to play with next off-season, but we still have to plan ahead. Schaub will be the obvious variable, since Brown and Barwin are likely to attract top dollar if they perform to the same level next year, a healthy Schaub season would make him an interesting option for other teams. He's currently earning somewhere around the $9m (not checked this) I think, which I'd love to believe would stay around the same level in a new contract but we all know thats a little below what a lot of good QB's earn.

All those factors combined make it prudent to give ourselves options at a position where performance on a rookie contract nets you a bargain, while established vets cost a fortune. Draft OLB high, continue to progress Braman (love that guys play btw) and improve a key position this year whilst freeing up your decision making next, win-win.

One guy I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in to the rotation, is Schobel, who I noticed is mulling over a possible return to football. We were interested a couple of years ago, and he's fairly local to Houston. I'm not too sure how interested he'd be in playing OLB, but if we have a little room under the cap, spending it on a 1 or 2 year, low risk deal would not be a bad way to use it. We made a huge mistake in not signing him when Barwin went down, we should have offered him whatever he wanted. Now I think the money side of things might be a little more in the Texans' favour.

WolverineFan likes this.
  14. ckhouston

ckhouston Hall of Fame

Jeez some harsh comments. Give the kid a break, he made his mistakes ... turned his life around ... and is trying to make the best of an opportunity. If Braman gets a chance to compete for a position in the rotation he will make it. I would bet on that.

15. Blake

Blake MMQB

Typical Houston fan response. ND Kalu says be more like Philly and destroy the guy.

/jk

16. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I'm not a gloom and doomer, but Braman hasn't done squat yet. Being confident about him is like being confident in Jeff Maehl to solve our Jacoby Jones problem. Perhaps he will....but you can't rely on this kind of stuff. I like Braman too but we better take a talented OLB early in the draft. Reed may go through a sophomore slump as the league has a full year to study him and Barwin has to have a break out year...one injury and we are in big trouble back there.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Braman hasn't really done anything to make me think he could contribute as an OLB, yet. Maybe that'll change this season, but I wouldn't go into the draft thinking we're ok at the position.

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

this.

19. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

20. SW H-TOWN

SW H-TOWN All Pro

I love Braman, guy tackles guys with no helmet on, ect...If I remember correctly he looked good in some preseason game or games but I would love to see him go up a good starting RT for an extended period of time.

chicagotexan2 likes this.