Brad Hopkins in the FA?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texas, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

The titans recently released a report saying they will probably be getting rid of LT Brad Hopkins...If so I think he would be a great addition to our team because we need a LT really bad..Then we could leave alone D'Brick and go for Bush or Mario Williams...Just seeing yalls opinion on this subject.

2. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

I think he would be a good addition. However, with his age creeping up I would prefer to keep the contract short/cheap.

3. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

He is 36 years old. I know OLmen last longer than most positions, but that is still getting up there. He missed games each of the last two years and last year struggled more with 5.5 sacks given up and 12 penalties called on him.

4. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

NOOOOOOOOO. He will be 36 by the time the season starts. He is not what we want, he is actually the opposite of what we want. He is old and slow, we want young and athletic.

And I want to know, what is the problem with Brick, he is obviously the most talented athletic OT in years and we may be able to bring in John Abraham and still get him. He is definitely worth the money. Why do you guys consistently try to fill in our LT spot with old and below average players, just so we wont take Brick in round 1. There are not many good young FA LT prospects. Do you know why, because know team is dumb enough to let a top teir LT slip between their fingers.

Trap_Star likes this.
  5. cap1

cap1 All Pro

I don't want him because he is 36 years old. I think we should save our cash and pay a decent FA or a great player (ie. LeCharles Bentley).

6. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

Thats what im talkin' bout!!! we have the chance to possibly draft the best LT to come out this decade!!:twocents:

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

And, even though he's a rookie, he could help the team by starting at RT immediately.

8. cap1

cap1 All Pro

That is good and will help so much. Please no players heading into the Retirement Home.

9. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

meh hes not much of a RT prospect.

poor run blocker, not overly strong... hes a LT all the way because his main strength is his athleticism. thats the only reason hes projected so high. potential.

he didnt play like a top 5 pick this season.

10. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I didnt concider his age factor...the reason tho I would want to find a alternate to drafting D-Brick is because with a elite LT and Bush or someone I just think it would be better to use our first pick on someone else but I do like brick and would be happy with that if we picked him

11. Koolbrz

Koolbrz Veteran

BH is up there in age, but it would not hurt to bring him here for a couple of yrs. You know, while we can develop a rookie at the position. Just a thought.

12. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

does any1 else see that this mean d'brick will probably be gone if we trade with the jets

13. Frills

Frills Veteran

Isn't there dirt younger than Hopkins?

14. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Yup

15. Keldar

Keldar Veteran

Do we have a Methuselah smiley? :)

16. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

I did a search on the forum and couldn't find anyone pointing this out... so I am going to note it here. ( just for the football junkies )

Brad Hopkins is the Tackle the Houston Oilers drafted in 1993 ahead of Houston native and Texas Southern product Michael Strahan.

17. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

So why necro bump this thread? :shocked

18. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

I wouldn't bump it if you could get it to stop from bumping. It's mostly just to note it because I didn't see anyone else talking about it or pointing it out in the past posts. It will come up again in the future because of the Vince Young debate.

It's still timely because of Casserly, draft decisions, and for those handful of people that might like to weigh Casserly against other Houston GMs.

19. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

If you are somehow drawing a comparison between Strahan and Vince, I think that might be a wee bit of a stretch.... especially since Casserly had nothing to do with the non-selection of either.

20. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

no not really at all. It's more about looking at how particular Texans get washed with time. Few people think of Strahan as a Texas ball player ( outside of the hardcore junkies ). So in that light it could be said that Young could wash like Strahan did and the same will could be said for Casserly's pickings or non-pickings.

I doubt it because of the Rose Bowl glitz, but you never know until you know ( if you know what I mean )