Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BR:Houston Texans: What Are the Reasonable Expectations for Wade Phillips' Defense?

Wolf

100% Texan
Now that Houston head coach Gary Kubiak has hired former Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips on as defensive coordinator, much speculation has swirled about a possible playoff appearance for the Texans. With an already prolific offense, a good defense could be enough to accomplish that.

But just what are the reasonable expectations for Phillips' defense in 2011?

As good a coordinator as Phillips is, there's almost always a transition year for a defense switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

That said, the Texans have a great amount of defensive talent that seems to fit remarkably well into a 3-4. With players like Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, JJ Watt and Antonio Smith, Houston could have enough talent to cover up any first-year deficiencies.

So can Wade Phillips give the Texans what they've been missing in their first nine years?

Let's find out.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...onable-expectations-for-wade-phillips-defense

I think Phillips will great improve the players defensive efforts but not clear if that will translate to wins but am very optimistic. A vet CB and Safety would sure make me feel better.

I'll answer this post-free agency.

I agree. I honestly don't know how you can comment until the rosters are set. I believe that scheme-wise, the Texans D is going to look like a 'real' defense. However, based on current roster full of very young players in the secondary, I don't know how those kids won't give up big plays and make big mistakes and would probably be at the bottom of the league again.

If Wade's defense can't finish at the edge of "top ten" then I don't think they'll do enough to carry their half of the "Playoffs Or Bust - 2011" wagon.

Best WR in football hands down! Last seasons leading rusher! QB, FB, and TE who have all been to the Pro Bowl and who are capable of doing it again! Enough TE's to start one at every position on that side of the ball if need be!

And still they're inconsistent and only won 6 games last year. Wade's the answer according to Bob & Rick & Gary. If Wade's is indeed the answer then they must think that personnel on that side of the ball isn't entirely the problem correct? They got Wade, Wade's draft picks, and Wade's daddy ready to testify that Wade's gonna get it done.

If we threaten to bust into the top ten on defense (say 11-13) then we'll probably be good enough to make the playoffs. We'll be good enough on defense to offset the stupid mistakes that our talented but sometimes bumbling offense makes.

So those are my reasonable expectations for 2011.

As much talk as there is about the LB corps, I think that the injuries need to be taken into account. I believe it is CND (if it's not, forgive me) that is in the medical field and has made some really insightful posts about how Demeco may never return to his pre-injury form. Barwin? Who knows. Honestly, if they don't get some FA help in the secondary, I think they may be up s@#$ creek.

Homer in me says hopefully a top 10 DEF

what the boring people will say some were between 16-22 in da rankings

( + ) 3 wins. This is a reasonable expectation. Wade's reputation; current personnel questions; first year transition questions; strike; possible injuries - taking everything into consideration, and at this early stage of guessing, we should be able to take this expectation to the bank. More is homer optimism.

As much talk as there is about the LB corps, I think that the injuries need to be taken into account. I believe it is CND (if it's not, forgive me) that is in the medical field and has made some really insightful posts about how Demeco may never return to his pre-injury form. Barwin? Who knows. Honestly, if they don't get some FA help in the secondary, I think they may be up s@#$ creek.

Yes. It is CnD or "Doc Jean" that is so insightful with his knowledge and background.

Once FA commences & we lock up 1 of these vet cbs i think we'll jump to somewhere between 12-16 with wade's defense. I think the injuries thing is overplayed as all of our guys are young enough to bounce back pretty fast, i think our secondary, while still not all that great (unless they have a helluva FA period) will be solid & much improved from a making plays standpoint without much personnel change. The reason for the improvement? better coaching all around from the defensive coaches & we'll finally see some consistent pressure from our front 7 & someone other than Mario.

Agreed. Realistically, the Texans need to sign a great CB, a decent safety, and a decent LB or two. Last year they were running very low on good LBs, and backup LBs usually help with special teams too. Hopefully they have the money and attractiveness to shore up those three positions competently.

How's this for a reasonable expectation:

I expect we won't have to spend half a year figuring out whether or not Wade should stand on the sideline or sit in the booth.

Lord, hear my prayer. If we go any lower than that I don't think I can be a fan anymore.....

How's this for a reasonable expectation:

I expect we won't have to spend half a year figuring out whether or not Wade should stand on the sideline or sit in the booth.

Lord, hear my prayer. If we go any lower than that I don't think I can be a fan anymore.....

Just so you know, I'm running with that right after the first loss this season. :D

I think Phillips will great improve the players defensive efforts but not clear if that will translate to wins but am very optimistic. A vet CB and Safety would sure make me feel better.

Don't forget NT.

I don't have a lot of faith in the organization right now. I don't know if this defense can be turned into a playoff defense in one off season and not a normal one at that.

I'll answer this post-free agency.

I agree with that , too many question marks - CB , SS , FS , NT , the injuries to two of the four guys slated to start at LB. A lack of depth in the secondary and LBers.

If pressed into answering now , I'd say 15-18 , pretty much middle of the pack.

If they are able to solve some of the personel issues and both Demeco & Barwin are healthy , things could look significantly better.

To be a playoff defense in tiday's NFL, a team just does not need to be horrible. Assuming the offense maintains its output of the last couple of years, the Texasn only need to be around 20th overall (yards or points) with some ability to create turnovers and generate pressure on the QB. I think this is a reasonable goal to expect from Wade's defense.

See recent Saints and Colts Superbowl wins.

I am drinking kool-aid today but baring injury I cannot see why this defense can't be atleast middle of the pack with who we signed

Back