Boy, I'd hate to see this place if we lost a playoff game

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Oct 5, 2008.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

If this is considered to be "the end of the world," then what would happen if this had been a playoff game?

We've stunk since our inception, so things are magnified because we don't have any good memories or winning seasons to fall back upon. All this "woe is me" bullhonkey is uncalled for.

Winning and losing is cyclical.

Look at how much the Bengals endured, then for about two seasons they were red-hot and looked like they were on the verge of winning it all.

Throw the Seahawks in there, too. They were awful for years, heck for decades, and then they had two or three Super Bowl caliber seasons. Where are those teams now? Sucking. Again.

Tampa Bay Bucs? Same thing.

It's like those two or three seasons never happened.

When you have a league with 32 teams, and only about four teams are actually "really really good" per year, then you have to see that the odds are low that your team is going to do well.

I see a lot of griping and "poor, pitiful me" attitudes on the board today.

We lost. We'll lose again. We'll lose even more meaningful games than this one.

Tony Romo bobbled a snap and laid on the turf like a little girl. And Cowboys fans were upset, devastated. But Romo came back strong.

Right now would be a great chance for someone like Andre Johnson to come out next Sunday and just dominate a game, acting like a One Man Gang and just willing our team to victory. Steve Slaton could also be that sort of catalyst.

All it takes is one person.

2. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

What is the word "playoff" you speak of?

3. False Start

False Start On # 69

[​IMG]

PLAYOFFS!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :heh:

Yeah, I think it would be pretty bad.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

Lol. What movie is that from? I forget...

5. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

Do I have to quote Jim Mora? "Playoffs?!?!?!"

6. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

I would love to be in the position to lose a playoff game. Sad but true, very frustrating.

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

This team is the only team in the NFL that has never had a winning streak. Back to back games isn't a streak and winning two games one year and one game the next year isn't a friggin' winning streak either. After 7 years this gets old....I'd love to be crapped out over losing a playoff game....but those are for winning organizations.

8. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Well getting to the layoffs means you are playing meaningful football and not losing and yes I as of right now I would take a playoff loss then not having a winning season.

9. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Losing a playoff game would at least mean we had a good team that year which is something this franchise has not had, nor really come close to having, since it's inception.

The Colts loss isn't just devastating because we that one game. It's because all this franchise knows is losing from the day we started. It's a culmination of all that losing that we've had to endure that has put us fans over the top. It seems that this pathetic loss symbolizes what the franchise has become. A team and organization of losers.

10. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

I love how even the Football Night guys are even saying that the reason the Dolphins are doing well is because of Bills tough *** attitude he brought

11. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

At the same time there are teams like the Cowboys who suck for a few seasons before becoming good for another decade...

Yeah it is a cycle, but it's not a coincidence that some franchises collect trophies while others are always waiting for that one moment...that one "Every dog has it's day" moment.

12. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

Anyone who say how the Cowboys scored their last TD to put the game away tonight knows that some franchises just find ways to win and some just find ways to lose, even if it seems like dumb luck. The Cowboys have a history of finding a way. The Texans don't.

No way that lucky deflected TD for Dallas happens for the Texans when they need it to put a game away.

13. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Yeah, we have a lot more bad stuff ahead of us than this, so I guess we should start getting over it.

Such as - next year, Houston won't have any more blackout protection. That will be a problem unless we turn this season around.

And man, I'm sorry - but I was really disappointed with the fan turnout for the Colts. The place was half empty for a division rival in our season home opener. That just plain sucks... and if it was half-empty for the Colts, what's it going to be for Miami and especially Detroit?

It's going to get worse before it gets better, I'm afraid.

14. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

So when does the win cycle begin? I haven't seen any cycles going on here, just outright losing for now 6 straight seasons. To make matters worse we have seen other teams following that cycle of winning and losing you are speaking of during those 6 years.

The Cowboys were arguable worse than the Texans in 2002, they have gone through a couple of cycles since then and now are winning again. I am sure you can name several other teams that were worse than the Texans since 2002 and have turned things around since. I am a fan of the Giants and can throw them into that category. They were pathetic in 2003 (4-12) and 2004 (6-10), both seasons being worse than the Texans. Now they are reigning Super Bowl Champs.

Everyone loves to compare this team to the 70's expansion Bucs however they tend to forget that Bucs team was only pathetic for it's first 2 seasons of existence. They went to the NFC Championship game in just their 3rd season of existence.

If there has been a worse expansion team since the merger during their first 6 years of existence I would be curious who that was.

15. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

I'll take a playoff loss

16. Dan B.

Dan B. Hall of Fame

I forgot which thread but someone posted the first 100 games for every team. The Texans were around the Bucs and Cleveland Browns in wins, and Dallas had several more wins and a few ties as well. We were way ahead of the Saints though. IIRC we had 32 wins and they had 26 or so.

17. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Yeah exactly.

It's like how they say "You have to lose before you can win." Well...we've done our losing.

I don't see much of a cycle. Some teams suck for a few years before becoming contenders again...we suck for a few years...only to suck for a few more years...

18. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Saints, yes I forgot about them. The Saints are probably the worst expansion team in history. Oh boy, if the Texans have a similar fate as them I really feel for the good folks of Houston. It took them 20 years to have their first winning season. Only 14 seasons to go Texans fans!

19. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

It does look like the Texans will be blacked out in SA and Austin come the end of the season since they cant win ****

20. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Both of those guys just did exactly what you are talking about. There's 220 yards and 3 TDs between the 2 of them today. Things were going well too, until.....nevermind