Both Carr and Young

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Texansbacker, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Texansbacker

Texansbacker Veteran

From reading the coverage from the UT Pro Day with QB Vince Young performing extremely well, I think the value of the Texans pick went up significantly, and should definitely keep the door open to trade proposals.

It got me thinking however, if a blockbuster deal is not to be had, then would it not be wise to pick-up Young and keep Carr too? Young will need some time to learn the system as all rookies must and also Carr has an opportunity to prove himself a stud during the 2006 season.

Young would add value and also unpredictability to the Texans offense, ala Slash from Pittsburg........but hopefully that would be the only comparison of Vince Young to Kordell Stewart.

You would also have a solid backup should Sage Rosenfels not be the answer after a Carr injury. Or perhas Carr has taken too many shots (doubt it, but it is a factor) and plays with happy feet.

Reggie Bush will be an exciting player, no doubt, but you win and lose with your quarterback. I am willing to take my chances with Dominick Davis et al as Kubiak was able to work wonders with most any back.

Betting the house on Carr, with only Sage Rosenfels and Dave Ragone available to lead us to victory, should he fall or falter, seems more foolhardy than selecting a hometown fella. A guy with all the size, speed and skills you look for in a QB, along with being a proven winner, who plays at another level when on the big stage. It doesn't get any bigger than the NFL.

The competition at QB would be intense and, since I believe they are both high character guys, it would be good for everyone on the team.

In the process, Carr will undoubtably play much better, with an improved line, and very well could become the quarterback everyone said and wants him to become. That would be a good bet.

Sometimes it is also good to backup your bet, unless you are holding a pair of Mannings.

Especially when a situation (hometown: Houston, college: Texas) and a talent like Vince Young come to town.

2. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

I understand there were a few scouts who were disappointed with his showing.

3. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

as much as I would like for us to have young I think we would have way too much money invested at the qb position. I think the only way we get young now is trade down and he's still available or work package to trade carr and get young on draft day.

4. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

VY brings nothing to the team for at least 3 years. Sorry...

5. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

I somewhat agree w/that school of thought but i'm pretty convinced it ain't happenin.

6. TexansNeedRBin05

TexansNeedRBin05 Veteran

Only way we draft young is if he plays for WR for us.

7. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Let's just wait until April 2nd (USC Pro Day) before we assume Vince's stock, as compared to Reggie's.

8. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

with the way that Washington annually spend money I find it hard to believe that we couldn't find a way to financially have both.

and Texansbacker, I am totally in agreement. I would love to draft Young, let him learn for a year, or two even if Carr's potential finds its way to the playing field surface as promised for the last 4 full season's.

We would have our future QB and don't have to commit the unpardonable sin of drafting and playing a rookie his first year and 'ruining' him, like we did poor poor Carr. :rolleyes:

thunderkyss likes this.

9. el toro

el toro All Pro

If Young wasn't from Houston and didn't play at UT would anyone here want him over Bush? No. Leinhart's the most pro-ready QB in the draft and I've yet to see the 'Draft Matt' movement spring up in here.

Bush provides an impact today. Bush fits the offense. The coach built strong offenses in Denver based on a strong running game. The hometown boy sentiment is nice and all, but at some point reality should set in. Maybe on April 29th?

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

That is the truth VY supporters don't want to admit. Some people have him ranked third at his position and almost everybody (95%) have him ranked behind Matt L.

11. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

how did you come to this conclusion? do you have some kind of magic equation you plugged names in?

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I wonder how much Indy has invested in a QB.....

We've already waited four years on Carr, Kubes expects two more.... I think the fans will be willing to wait one extra year for their pick

13. el toro

el toro All Pro

Yeah, we've waited 4 years for a competent offense. Now we have one of the top offensive coaches in the game as our HC. !@#$ waiting.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The big story out of Denver, is their running game....... for what, ten years now?? they word is you can put anyone in Denver, and they'll make him a probowl runner. 1600 yards.. So why is everyone talking about Kubiak's impressive history with resurrecting QBs?? Griese?? I hope not.

Bush doesn't fit the offense.. that's the point. Denver never runs two backs..... Denver never move Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis, Ruben Droans, Olandis Gary, or Ron DAyne out as wide reciever..... nobody does..... you have to make a spot for Reggie.

When have we ever........ ever, ever, ever....... ask for a hometown kid?? Their are plenty of them out their.

15. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

on the indy thing--they aren't looking to invest another 7-8 million annually in another QB. somewhat of a flawed argument.

on the second point, why don't you go take a poll and see who the people's (that includes people who don't hang out on this MB) choice is.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'd like to see that link. Kubes says he'll do everything he can to make Carr successful...

17. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

If the Texans are going to draft a QB, they might as well draft the best one (Leinart) instead of the 3rd best one.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

But we know Gaffney didn't fit, Milford doesn't belong on our starting line, McKinney can't play Center........ the poor offense only affects our ability to assess the play of the QB?? :ok:

I think the chronicle did.... I'm pretty sure it was Vince.

19. el toro

el toro All Pro

They've managed to win a few games with that run game. Davis isn't exactly a sure thing health wise and Bush isn't relegated solely to lining up in the backfield.

20. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

However, Denver does utilize multiple backs... and often. It keeps them fresh, which is a concern with DD. Everyone questions Reggie's stamina because he never had the typical 30 carry game load. But when Lendale in college took the handoffs, Reggie was often lined up in teh flanker spot and would downfield block. So the guy has played reps on the field.

I don't understand the philosophy of not wanting the best QB in the draft if someone wants a QB. Assuming most people would want a Carson Palmer type QB (minus the whole 'I no longer have ligaments in my knee' thing), why not take Leinart? He is cut from the same cloth. There is much less risk.