Boomer calls Texans "under-rated"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansSeminole, Nov 26, 2007.

1. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Tune to Monday Night Football.

Looks like we get more media attention than meets the eye.

2. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Berman has always treated Houston teams fairly.

3. GP

GP Go Texans!

Maybe ESPN has received the emails we've been sending, suggesting that they need to be a little more constructive in their analysis of us.

I can't think of what or why else he would give us a boost...I mean, this team is not under-rated (IMO). It's exactly what it is: Mediocre.

We don't get props when we earn it (No footage of the Saints win). And yet we get these sorts of "boosts" from the talking heads in a patronizing manner.

Where were you guys last week, ESPN? Thanks for patting us on the back a week after we shut down Reggie Bush. Pffft....

4. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

We are underrated because people are saying we suck, and we don't. We are a mediocre team right now and a lot of people still think we just flat out suck.

I heard boomer say monday morning before the games that the Texans are going to play spoilers to a lot of teams because we basically play all of the contenders except the Bills.

5. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Mediocre to Texans fans = Underrated to the national media

I'll take it. Mediocrity is an improvement from what we've been seeing the previous years.

6. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Another ESPN guy called Schaub the same as AJ Feely. A backup that was hyped as the next football Jesus, then when another team traded a bunch for him he flopped and showed he was a backup for a reason.

I think it was Skip Bayless

7. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Who called him the second coming? I believe most called him a lot better than Carr.

Also, I like Berman - he seems to have much more insight and unbiased opinions than all the ex players and coaches.

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Whenever I see Skip Bayless' name - I just roll my eyes. I think Michael Wilbon was spot on whenever he called Skip a moron. I would put more credence in his brother's (Rick) recipes than I would anything he has to say.

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

What a joke. The guy has played well this year overall and has maybe 2 bad games out of all of his starts. We have no running game and his top receiver has been out all but 4 games. I like his pocket presence and the way he handles himself and the team. Hell, his bad games seemed like good games to me compared to what was here. I just don't get what people are watching after a total of 10 starts or whatever in his career. If it was Bayless, I give it no credit at all. The guy is slime. He is the National Enquirer of sports reporting and doesn't know jack squat.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

If you have to go to Skip Bayless for support, you have already lost the argument.

As a starter:

AJ Feely 11 games--53.7% comp., 1893 yds, 172 ypg, 5.3 ypa, 11 TD's, 15 INT's, 61.7 QB rating
    Matt Schaub 10 games--66.5% comp., 2207 yds, 220.7 ypg, 7.8 ypa, 9 TD's, 9 INT's, 87.3 QB rating

Yeah, they look just alike.

Goldensilence likes this.
  11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Don't we need to be somewhat rated before we can be considered under-rated? Eh...

12. Yankee_In_TX

I think he means what we feel. The national media treats us as bad as a 3 or 4 win team. Ironically a zero win team gets treated better than us.

13. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

I wasn't saying I was agreeing with him, I was pointing out more Texans bashing.

14. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

IMO, NFL fans (not team fans) make better commentators than most former players / coaches. I give more credence to Vinny than just about anybody at ESPN.

15. Yankee_In_TX

They (ex players and coaches) are SO scripted. Ever hear Ditka on 610? You honestly wonder if he watches the NFL.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

Personally, I am 50-50 on Schaub all because I was bamboozled on David Carr. I am tending to pull the trigger on the topic of ANY Texans QB who is championed as being "the answer."

It's human nature: Limit the chances at being disappointed (Again...).

I have to admit that Schaub had a spring in his step vs. Saints, but he looked slow and sluggish vs. Browns--He tends to take a long time to get away from center (IMO) and I think it's messing up the blocking AND wide receiver timing, too.

He is, after all, getting a lot of starts...whereas he was in-and-out a lot with the Falcons. Maybe he needs time to adjust to the physicality of the game.

I dunno. I'm 50-50. NOt drinking the Kool Aid yet, but also not bashing the guy.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

And Skip Clueless is still bashing the Texans for passing on the real Jesus in cleats, Vince Young. Go figure.

18. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Skip Bayless is the guy that suggests that the Cleveland Cavaliers might be better off without Lebron James...end of story.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  19. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

One thing that I have been thinking about Schaub is his sacks total. We are on pace, as a team, to give up fewer than 30 sacks for the season, I think. I don't think that the O-line has made drastic improvements over last season. With McKinney out we could even have a technically worse O-line than we had at the end of last season. We still don't have a running game and that means the other teams D doesn't have to respect that and are teeing off on us. The WRs and RBs seem to be doing a better job with blitzs pickups but Schaub still seems to be running for his life more than I would like. I have never just blaimed the O-line for Carr sacks and have never just blaimed Carr for all his sacks either, but with basically the same O-line our sacks are WAY down while Schaub is not getting much, if any more time than Carr did. Now a REAL feature back and a healthy Spencer should give Schaub more time to make quality throws instead of the sometimes stupid throws he makes now. I don't think Schaub is a top 10 QB, but I feel he has the ability to step up and do better than he is now. I don't Schaub is bad either. I just think he is like most of the rest of the team, mediocre.

As far as ESPN goes, I feel the same way about that as I do New England running up the score on teams. I don't like it but don't blaim them either. If you want respect, earn it. If you don't want NE running up the score on you, stop them.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  20. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

This is so true....and they all repeat each other. I can't stand it when two of these analyst are side by side and both of their takes are exactly the same but the both say them like it is brand new information. Why not say, I agree with so and so and add some more details, compare and contrast, hell....i don't know, do something.

And they all cover the same exact stuff. First Jim Rome talks about it, then Around the Horn covers it, then PTI comes on and tells it to you again in a different format. Then SportsCenter wraps it all up for a fourth time. I am so dumb I need to here over and over apparently.

Edit* I have been thinking about starting a thread capturing some specific instances these guys copying each other, sounding scripted, making outrageus claims etc. So I started a thread about it in the NFL Forum: http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44718