Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bob McNair: Bush Pick NOT a Lock

i agree, and all they have said is that Bush will be the first pick, if you live outside of Houston thats obvious (the vince young for #1 pick reside in 281/713 dominated area codes)

But all that really says is that we are not crazy and a trade is still an option. Someone trades up to take Bush ....

I think McNair is having a real PR problem at this time he should be keeping the information near zero until a coach is signed. Let Casserly and Reeves evaluate players and prepare for the draft. Enjoy Kubiaks run and hope he makes it to the superbowl becvause that will give us another public relations boost.

Hookem Horns said:
McNair has denied the ESPN report according to JM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3589395.html

Someone earlier hit the nail on the head when he said something like the only thing that is guaranteed before the draft is misinformation.

I don't find it too unbelievable that an intermediary of Bush/USC?Pete C/Bush's potential agent contacted an intermediary of the Texans and inquired about the Texans' intentions .... in either case McNair will deny it as will Pete Carroll .... then again maybe none of it happened ...

Thanks for the find. This is just part of the dance called deception. I doubt the Texans even know what they will be doing at this moment.

Kaiser Toro said:
Thanks for the find. This is just part of the dance called deception. I doubt the Texans even know what they will be doing at this moment.

I hope so because it was becoming frustrating at the information being run around. As a GM, owner, etc you just don't lay out your cards like that. Not only that but I'm sure that info had McNair scrambling because they could lose picks for tampering.

Hookem Horns said:
McNair has denied the ESPN report according to JM

Someone earlier hit the nail on the head when he said something like the only thing that is guaranteed before the draft is misinformation.

Now, let's see . . . that would be the same JM that says they are definately taking Vince Young? . :stirpot:

Let the back pedaling begin. I wonder how many more times we will read, "Texans deny reports from an ESPN article" until 4/29. So far we are 2 for 2 and we are only into mid-Jan.

A Monday morning butt chewing with the PR guys would be a good idea right about now. To reveal your hand this early in the evaluation process is dumb...or was it intentional? The report whether true or not subconsiously confirms a want and worth, essentially raising one's value...

BREAZE said:
A Monday morning butt chewing with the PR guys would be a good idea right about now. To reveal your hand this early in the evaluation process is dumb...or was it intentional?
Of course its intentional, the motive being to convince everyone how badly
you want Reggie and thereby induce an even higher bid for your #1 overall.
Jeez, you wouldn't say something wishy washy like "guess we will keep our
#1 unless another team maybe wants it to take Reggie". Whether or not you
really want Reggie that bad is beside the point. Like the ole man says, they
might get a Godfather offer (or maybe a couple or three).

nunusguy said:
Of course its intentional, the motive being to convince everyone how badly
you want Reggie and thereby induce an even higher bid for your #1 overall.
Jeez, you wouldn't say something wishy washy like "guess we will keep our
#1 unless another team maybe wants it to take Reggie". Whether or not you
really want Reggie that bad is beside the point. Like the ole man says, they
might get a Godfather offer (or maybe a couple or three).

It impacts more than just Bush's stock...values go up for some and down for others...mind games.

Exactly. They are not going to "show their cards" about any of this. But they will play the disinformation game like all the rest of the teams do. It's smoke and mirrors. And these "inside sources" that these sports writers have? C'mon!

If I were the Texans, I would find the "leak" (Casserly?), and have him supply info to Mortenson that you want the other teams to hear.

TheOgre said:
If I were the Texans, I would find the "leak" (Casserly?), and have him supply info to Mortenson that you want the other teams to hear.

How do you know they aren't doing that already?

TheOgre said:
That is why We all have to wait for the draft!

TheOgre said:

This type of stuff is Casserly's strong suit. He has a good relationship with the media and is often used a source for "insider" information. Part of the notion (false) that Casserly is/was smart (or least until this year) came from the fact that his buddies in the media never questioned him. Expect all kinds of Texans "leaks" over the next three months.

Pure Speculation, please do not take as absolute true.

The story is true, however, from what I am hearing he told Carroll that if the team keeps the first pick they will draft Bush. Mr. McNair noted that if the right trade presented itself he would not guarantee Bushes selection.

The Texans are quite displeased about this information being leaked because it did not come from them. The leak came from the Broncos organization and it was not Kubiak. That being said McNair is a free man and can change is mind if the right trade possibility presents itself. The team is now in lockdown mode not letting any info out.

Because he's been so criticized for moves, trades, draft picks, etc, and overall blamed for last season's disaster. . . the popular presumption of course, is that Charley is now dumber than a fence post . . . among the fans, that is.

But, in the slightest and remotest chance that other teams are actually buying into that . . . .I can see where he could use that to his advantage.

Where, out of curiousity, does the notion come into play that the words of the Chronic writers (or any media, for that matter) should be viewed as 100% factual?

These guys will invent a story where one does not exist. That is the fact. One says we are taking Bush, no doubt. Another in the next cube over knows we are going to grab Vince. The same goes for ESPN, for that matter.

This is sensationalistic writing, pure and simple. While it makes you wonder why they don't give the fiction section a try, I would hardly by stock on their tips. Take it with a huge grain of salt and enjoy debating it, sure: but don't try to take it to the bank. You're gonna be disappointed.

Marcus said:
Exactly. They are not going to "show their cards" about any of this. But they will play the disinformation game like all the rest of the teams do. It's smoke and mirrors. And these "inside sources" that these sports writers have? C'mon!

I sure hope so...... I must admit, I panicked, and went into draft Vince mode, as soon as the Texans said they were going to use the pick to draft Bush.... That just didn't make any sense atol

Is it just me or does anyone else realize the deadline for all eligible underclassman to declare for the 2006 NFL draft was 4:00 est. yesterday. which makes the timing of this disclosure very interesting and telling to say the least:hmmm: that should be all you need to know right there & the Texans now have both the top talents available for their choosing which both happen to be underclassman :stirpot:

Ok - this is what we already know:
1. The Texans will pick up Carr's option.
2. The Texans were probably contacted by Carrol to promote his player.
3. All candidates interviewed were asked to evalute Carr.
4. The Texans decision to draft Reggie Bush or Vince Young will be based on what's best for the TEAM - not marketing, public opinion, or threats.

I think it's likely that Texans are still leaning towards taking Bush, but they haven't completely evaluated VY yet. There will be rumors about who they will pick, trade down, etc. It's all part of the draft guessing game.

I am concerned as to if they bring in Young for an interview or not. I hope they do because I know Young is going to say and do everything in his power to be drafted by us. I also know that when Mcnair talks to him, Mcnair will know Young is the guy for us.

Many people say that VY could be a bust. I say he won't. Not because of throwing motions, or running QB stuff but because you have to notice that this guy has never allowed himself to be a bust and there is no reason to think he will allow himself to be a bust now.

El Tejano said:
I am concerned as to if they bring in Young for an interview or not. I hope they do because I know Young is going to say and do everything in his power to be drafted by us. I also know that when Mcnair talks to him, Mcnair will know Young is the guy for us.

Many people say that VY could be a bust. I say he won't. Not because of throwing motions, or running QB stuff but because you have to notice that this guy has never allowed himself to be a bust and there is no reason to think he will allow himself to be a bust now.

Not bringing in VY for at least an interview would be the greatest mistake in our short history.

Can you expand on that? Why would it be such a huge mistake? Because it would show we aren't drafting him or what??

El Tejano said:
I am concerned as to if they bring in Young for an interview or not. I hope they do because I know Young is going to say and do everything in his power to be drafted by us.

Whether they interview him or not, Young has made his wishes crystal clear wherever an audience has been available.

El Tejano said:
Can you expand on that? Why would it be such a huge mistake? Because it would show we aren't drafting him or what??

In many ways including the one above. But in light of our mistakes in personnel moves we need to do our due diligence in making sure we select the right player. That to me would involve interviewing at least the top 5 players at the top of the draft.

El Tejano said:

It's like food, you have to taste it at least once before you can say you don't like it :)

This is all smoke screens and mirrors. I don't believe a thing until the draft, and we here the words of the NFL commissioner saying "and with the 2006 no. 1 draft pick the Houston Texans choose...."

Chronicle writers have revealed themselves to be about as clueless as the rest of us.

coreyvice said:
Check out Richard Justice's blog today.
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/01/bob_mcnair_need.html

Love how he talks about a media leak in the front office without naming it. Then his next story is about Casserly leaking information to the media when he was at Washington.

Seems to me like the guy's a total liability.

I got that impression too. He says he thinks he knows who the leaker is and then makes that comment about Casserly. In reference to the leaker he asks "Does he know he's going to be fired and is trying to curry favor with reporters who might help him land a job down the line?". That certainly would fit Casserly's situation.

We'll know who the Texans are going to take with the first pick, if they don't trade it, before the draft. I'm sure they will go ahead and start working the contract (like they did for Carr and like the Bengals did for Palmer) before the draft.

I think this original claim about Carroll and McNair is evidence of the front office easing the public into the notion that they are going to draft Bush.

tulexan said:
I think this original claim about Carroll and McNair is evidence of the front office easing the public into the notion that they are going to draft Bush.
I get that feeling too. Some days I just try my hardest to get used to the fact that we aren't getting Vince Young.

McNair's reason to the public for not picking Vince Young is going to be that Kubiak feels that Bush will give them the best opportunity to win.

He'll probably eventually have a press conference and say that they love Vince and think that he is a great player and that they would love for him to be part of this team, but Gary Kubiak, Dan Reeves, etc. believe that Reggie Bush will give them the best opportunity to be a successful team.

El Tejano said:
I get that feeling too. Some days I just try my hardest to get used to the fact that we aren't getting Vince Young.

So many factors are playing into this decition and I'm sure none of us will know until Houston is on the clock.

Off-season up to draftday is just one big smoke-screen, and Casserly excells at that :=)

Have the Saints officially released Brooks?
Have the Saints hired a coach yet? If so then who?
How comfy are they with Dueces' injury and rehab?
Do they want Bush maybe? Or is it Leinert? Is Young out of the question?

Do the Titans want Leinert over Bush? Norm Chow former USC O-Coord. would rather have Leinert over Young don't ya think? He's gonna be alot longer than Steve McNair so forget the mentorship talk. Heck, Fisher is on thin ice any way and Chow could be the replacement.

Is it possible that we move down to #3 and still get Young?
Titans take Leinert #1? Possible
Saints pick up the best QB FA so that new coach doesn't have start over with a rookie.
Saints take Bush #2 and put his face on the start of a new era. Moving to LA wouldn't look so bad then to Benson. It wouldn't look so bad with Leinert but in my scenario he's already gone. Saints move to LA for the 2007.

Then we still get Young @ #3. All the smokescreening going on creates this possibility cuz Titans know that if we take Bush then the saints will take Leinert and that leaves Norm Chow with none of his guys. You know he must be salivating at the possibility. They'd then take Young more than likely.

What I've laid out here is not out of the realm of possbility so save the you're dreamin' stuff. This kind of stuff happens in the draft quite often. Beleive noone, everyone is lying, maybe, or maybe not.........stay tuned.

Saints are taking a QB. They don't have one and Deuce was just extended to a giant contract (8 years $68.7 million). I don't think they want to have well over $100 million tied up into one position.

And to think this is still the middle of January.

We have the rest of this month, then all of February, then all of March, and 29 days of April to discuss this . . . this . . . issue.

I think I'm gonna throw up.

tulexan said:
Saints are taking a QB. They don't have one and Deuce was just extended to a giant contract (8 years $68.7 million). I don't think they want to have well over $100 million tied up into one position.
Oh wait, but the saints can line him up in the backfield with duece and then put him in motion. Who's gonna cover him? Thunder and lightning baby.

Thats all the same crap ya'll say about us and DD and Bush.

If bush is rated higher than Young than the saints will take bush. We're the team in a pickle here, they have no preference.

Marcus said:

We have the rest of this month, then all of February, then all of March, and 29 days of April to discuss this . . . this . . . issue.

Deep breaths, man, deep breaths. And a little bit of Pepto Bismal. ;)

It is definitely going to be a long, long offseason.

Big B Texan Fan said:
Oh wait, but the saints can line him up in the backfield with duece and then put him in motion. Who's gonna cover him? Thunder and lightning baby.

Thats all the same crap ya'll say about us and DD and Bush.

If bush is rated higher than Young than the saints will take bush. We're the team in a pickle here, they have no preference.

Big difference between $70 million and over $100 million. Deuce is also one of the best RB's in the league and they have no QB. Todd Bouman is a backup, not a starter and Brooks is gone

In my opinion, this story is just garbage. Bush was going to come out anyway. He would be an ***** to go back to USC for his senior season and risk being injured. In addition, there would be no guarantee that he would be drafted #1 in the '07 draft.

So in the end...do I think the Texans really cared if Bush declared or not? No. I don't. If Bush didn't declare, then the Texans would likely pick Young.

Either way...its a win for the Texans.

Marcus said:

Easy now, we have at least one more week to talk about our future HC.

See, two topics :)

Back